Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
Reason is that in 2p games, no one is forced to grab a role that supports production. So, if you depend upon production, you will fall behind someone going "purple".

In regular Puerto Rico, 2 player game is played by making the governor pick 2 roles and the other player pick 1 role. So it should solve the production problem.

Um, that IS the rule in San Juan. It still doesn't work well, because you have to use TWO roles to get the benefit that other SINGLE roles give you. It is inefficient and you will almost always fall behind a violet-strategy player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Guild Hall and production is always strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
larienna wrote:
Quote:
Reason is that in 2p games, no one is forced to grab a role that supports production. So, if you depend upon production, you will fall behind someone going "purple".

In regular Puerto Rico, 2 player game is played by making the governor pick 2 roles and the other player pick 1 role. So it should solve the production problem.

Um, that IS the rule in San Juan. It still doesn't work well, because you have to use TWO roles to get the benefit that other SINGLE roles give you. It is inefficient and you will almost always fall behind a violet-strategy player.
I have yet to play 2p PR, but one distinction is in 2p PR, you can call Craftsman + Captain to get the goods, then convert them to VP.

In SJ, goods just give you more cards. You then leech off the other player's Builder now that you have a hand full of cards, of which hopefully you have SOMETHING good in there. The other player seems to be at a disadvantage, but will hopefully close that with his own prod. buidings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
cannoneer wrote:
larienna wrote:
Quote:

I have yet to play 2p PR, but one distinction is in 2p PR, you can call Craftsman + Captain to get the goods, then convert them to VP.

In SJ, goods just give you more cards. You then leech off the other player's Builder now that you have a hand full of cards, of which hopefully you have SOMETHING good in there. The other player seems to be at a disadvantage, but will hopefully close that with his own prod. buidings.

With the expansion, they tired to mitigate this by having the harbor (place i good you sold under the harbor to gain VP, similar to the chapel but during the trading phase), still just 1 building though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So again, the idea of adding the captain role as a variant to ship goods for VP could solve this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.