Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an encounter says attacks player #. That occurs after the initiative draw correct? Seem kinda strange because that seems like a specific target which should occur sooner, but also when we played this we were confused because we kept thinking it was going to attack a # but really it wasn't until after initiative draw. So I guess it is random that way. I guess it's better to think of it as a random attack.

But it does occur after the initiative draw right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It is essentially random if just a player numbers is specified.

We accidentally played the other way our first time and it was pretty brutal because most of the table knew that they were safe at the end of the round if the beasty didn't die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks that is exactly what I was wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, hence why the rules refer to this type of attack as a random attack. It just avoids having to draw initiative twice or rolling a die.
C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smirky wrote:
Yes, hence why the rules refer to this type of attack as a random attack. It just avoids having to draw initiative twice or rolling a die.
C

I'm a little confused by this. I don't have the rulebook with me, so apologies in advance, I'm doing this from memory.

1. The encounter starts by revealing the card.
2. Initiative is dealt.
3. Everyone sets their action.
4. Initiative is revealed. (There's one(?) potential action card to be played here to change initiative.)
5. Pre-attack actions are called for (Edge out, other?).
6. Attacks are revealed, in initiative order.
7. Monster then attacks player #s as specified on the card.

...or, is does the monster attack after step two in the next round? (so the players still all only get one action, but don't know at that point if they will be targeted)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
Smirky wrote:
C

I'm a little confused by this. I don't have the rulebook with me, so apologies in advance, I'm doing this from memory.

1. The encounter starts by revealing the card.
2. Initiative is dealt.
3. Everyone sets their action.
4. Initiative is revealed. (There's one(?) potential action card to be played here to change initiative.)
5. Pre-attack actions are called for (Edge out, other?).
6. Attacks are revealed, in initiative order.
7. Monster then attacks player #s as specified on the card.

...or, is does the monster attack after step two in the next round? (so the players still all only get one action, but don't know at that point if they will be targeted)?

I read elsewhere on these forums that any initiative-based monster attacks will use next round's initiative. Like Smirky said, it is simply to avoid rolling a die - the intent is that it is purely 100% random. You can't even use the initiative change card at this point.

Also, you made a slight mistake in that players can see initiative before setting cards. Rewritten, this is how it should be played:

A. Encounter starts.

1. Initiative is dealt.
1a. Initiative is revealed.
1b. [Draw a card if this is not the first round]
1c. Action cards can be played here to change initiative.

2. Everyone sets their action.
3. Attacks are revealed, in initiative order.
3a. Pre-attack actions are used at any time before the desired attack is revealed, usually right before (Edge out, other?).

4. Monster then attacks players if still alive
4a. Monster targets by initiative: Do Steps 1, 1a of next round. Resolve attacks, then "start" next round at Step 1b.
4b. Monster does not target by initiative: Resolve attack and start next round at Step 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.