Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ty Wyman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Against my son and his friend (both 14), I took Prussia as usual. My early draws were weak in Diamonds, but strong elsewhere. I set up against Austria in Clubs, Russia in Spades, and France in Hearts. As usual, I moved Frederick and Winterfeldt southwest to threaten Hildburghausen and French supply.

Russia made the first strong move. Deploying Ehrensvard most effectively, it was not stopped until reaching Neudamm. France pressured Madgeburg but could not break through. I defended Austria in lower Silesia (at Lublinitz and Cosel), intending to extend Austria's battlefield. She failed to mount even a serious attack, presumably from lack of Clubs.

At midgame, however, Austria shifted three generals west to Leipzig. I had Frederick guarding Clubs at Naumburg, but could not maintain supply. Austria proceeded to play for Imperial victory harder than I have ever seen. I rushed Keith back from the west, but had appreciated the threat at Leipzig a turn too late and conceded on Turn 21 to the Empire on Turn 21 (for Elisabeth).

Lord Bute interceded on Turn 9, and, of the first 13 fate cards, Frederick was helped only by Clive (Turn 14). Thus, I could console myself that with the Allied fate cards coming out so late, Prussia was not destined for victory. Nonetheless, if (to paraphrase Kipling) triumph and disaster are just twin imposters of wisdom , what did I learn?

Certainly, the evidence remains unrefuted that Austria is the House of Brandenburg's strongest enemy and must be treated as such throughout. I also continue to beleive that Prussia should wait three turns before choosing the primary defense suit against Austria.

However, I now question Clubs as the choice of that suit. In order to defend Imperial objectives in Clubs Prussia must maintain a difficult supply route. Furthermore, if it does choose Clubs, then I am inclined not to defend lower Silesia, as doing so forfeits much of Prussia's advantage of interior lines of defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.