Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was teamed up with Jean, while Gary and Don were a team. We had all played three times, except for Gary who had not played this expansion yet. I kept three tickets, Sukkur-Ulan Butar (12), Dihua-Mukden (14) and Shanghai to Hong Kong (8) (The point values are approximate, I can't remember them exactly). Jean had asked who gets to go first, so he could decide which tickets to keep, and who in the partnership gets to go first. We decided to interpret the rules as allowing the whole team to play, and you had to decide which tickets to keep before knowing who went first. It turned out Gary and Don went first. Don played a white card to go from Canton to Hong Kong, and as luck would have it, Gary played a red card to go from Canton to Hong Kong, shutting us out.

Jean and I did okay having the longest route from Sukkur to Ulan Butar to Mukden and down to the south east part of Asia. But Gary and Don overwhelmed us with their destination points. We didn't make 2 routes, one of them being the Shanghai to Hong Kong route.

Scores: Gary/Don: 169 (60 train, 10 most tickets, 99 destination), Jean/Norbert: 151 (77 train, 10 longest train, 64 destination)

Lesson #1: Don't keep any Hong Kong routes since they are too risky. You need luck to go first to get a claim to it. So perhaps the rule discussed in the rules forum makes more sense: if you allow only one member of a team to play when they go first, then the Hong Kong destinations make more sense to keep. However, if playing three teams, you are at risk again since the middle team could potentialy shut you out, so don't gamble with any Hong Kong route. Other cities, such as Fort Bayard, with 2 single links going to it are also at risk, so you have to evaluate if these cities are worth it.

Game 2: This time, Jean and I got to go first. I had similar tickets to what I drew in the first game: A northwest city going to Ulan Butar, then needing to get down to Chengdu to get to the south east. My first play was to play both remaining tickets so Jean knew what needed to be done, and Jean also played down his remaining 2 tickets. Armed with the knowledge we were able to build and react like a team. Meanwhile Gary and Don were laying down a lot of single track in the south east part of the board to get to Hanoi, Vientiane, and Manning.They felt this was too little effort for too little gain. You don't get too many points for your 1 track trains, and it takes a whoel turn to do it.
We got the longest train and they got the most tickets again, but we got more points in tickets.

Scores: Jean/Norbert 191 (72 train, 10 longest train, 109 destination), Gary/Don: 161 (50 train, 10 tickets, 101 destination)

Lesson #2: Gary and Don felt they put down too many single track lines (which resulted in their relatively low train score of 50). The lesson here is try not to play too many single track.

Game 3: I had a a couple of Delhi routes (Delhi to Hanoi and Delhi to Mandalay (I think), and since they seemed to match, I kept both. All three of mu tickets ran from northwest to south east, but Jean's routes all seemed to run from southwest to northeast. We spent a lot of our time getting to our destinations, and I only had time to get one draw of destination tickets. I knew Jean wanted to earn points by playing a long stretch of track, but I didn't think that was going to work. We only got 7 tickets to Gary and Don's 12 tickets.

Scores: Gary/Don 183 (74 track, 10 longest track, 10 most tickets, 89 destination), Norbert/Jean: 140 (62 train, 78 destination)

Lesson #3: Make sure you leave time to draw more tickets. You can earn big scores through ticket draws, and since we only drew once, while Gary. Don drew a total of 4 times, it shows in the score.

Incidentally, with 6 games under my belt now, my record is 2 wins and 4 losses which leads to lesson #4: playing team Asia with a guy with an Asian last name is no guarantee of success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the team that goes first only has the 2nd player of the team play. Then the other team goes. So if it's Team A vs. Team B, you play in the order ABBAABBAA... (no, I'm not referring to the Swedish singing group).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cowart
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
It turned out Gary and Don went first. Don played a white card to go from Canton to Hong Kong, and as luck would have it, Gary played a red card to go from Canton to Hong Kong, shutting us out.

That seems like an illegal move to me. The original rules say one "player" can't claim both routes. I see no reason this shouldn't be read as "team" for this map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cowart
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I believe the team that goes first only has the 2nd player of the team play. Then the other team goes. So if it's Team A vs. Team B, you play in the order ABBAABBAA... (no, I'm not referring to the Swedish singing group).

Is this in the rules somewhere or is it in a faq?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ggeorgemcfly wrote:

I don't think the rules say one way or the other, but it seems like an obvious balancing mechanism to me (especially with 4 players, but also with 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think you may have made a rules error. I know that this map allows both team mates to play on double links, however, I think it also has a special exception for Hong Kong where only 1 member per team can play there (e.g., you can never be blocked out of Hong Kong in a four player game). It has been a few months since I played this map so we should check the rules to make sure I'm remembering this right but I think that is the case.

Also, I agree with Eric that turn order should be ABBAABBAA. I don't think it is in the rules but it is the only way we've played and probably should have been in the rules in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
ggeorgemcfly wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
It turned out Gary and Don went first. Don played a white card to go from Canton to Hong Kong, and as luck would have it, Gary played a red card to go from Canton to Hong Kong, shutting us out.

That seems like an illegal move to me. The original rules say one "player" can't claim both routes. I see no reason this shouldn't be read as "team" for this map.

Eric from DoW has "clarified" in other threads that this is intended to be legal. One person can't take both links (or two of three on triple links), but one *team* can. This, of course, raises other issues, which Eric has ignored.

The sort of thing described in the OP seems like pretty poor play, given the lowish likelihood of the other team(s) also taking HK tickets; I'd just smirk if someone did that against me, even if I *had* taken HK tickets...

Eric Brosius wrote:
ggeorgemcfly wrote:

I don't think the rules say one way or the other, but it seems like an obvious balancing mechanism to me (especially with 4 players, but also with 6).

The rules do not say. Yet another gaping hole in a TtR expansion ruleset. But ABB(CC)A has made the most sense to pretty much every reasonable person I've seen that's been exposed to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
ggeorgemcfly wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:

Eric from DoW has "clarified" in other threads that this is intended to be legal. One person can't take both links (or two of three on triple links), but one *team* can. This, of course, raises other issues, which Eric has ignored.

The sort of thing described in the OP seems like pretty poor play, given the lowish likelihood of the other team(s) also taking HK tickets; I'd just smirk if someone did that against me, even if I *had* taken HK tickets...

Eric Brosius wrote:
ggeorgemcfly wrote:

The rules do not say. Yet another gaping hole in a TtR expansion ruleset. But ABB(CC)A has made the most sense to pretty much every reasonable person I've seen that's been exposed to it.

Thanks for the clarifications, Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.