Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are considering Finca or Seeland as a Christmas gift for a fellow gaming couple. This couple seems to enjoy medium-light to medium euros and have a special place in their gaming hearts for Dominion, Vikings and Stone Age.

Assuming both of these are in stock come the Holidays, which would you recommend? Are they both the same 'weight?' How well do they compare as two-player games? Four-player?

Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are very good, similar weights in my mind. I own and have played both 2 and 4 player, both still good.

Really can't go wrong here. Finca probably is a bit more attractive, if your giftees are shallow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and would consider Finca to be the lighter and more 'family' friendly of the two. Finca also scales better for two than Seeland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you are comparing the two due to their both having rondel type things, yes?

I haven't played Seeland, but I know a bit about it and have considered it from time to time. I own and enjoy Finca quite a bit.

From my knowledge, Finca will be a bit lighter than Seeland. The game ends up being basically set collection and isn't that complex. What adds to the weight in Finca is the initial setup and the differences in player count.

The setup in Finca is nicely randomized. The fan blades of the rondel are randomly placed each game, and the tiles indicating your goals are randomized, with a few (two or three as I recall) returned to the box at the beginning of the game, so it is impossible to know what the next tile in each stack will be, ensuring a fair bit of randomness. Once the game is setup though, play is pretty straight forward: collect fruits or turn them in for points.

The player count also adds a bit to people's perceived weight. As a two player game, the ability to read out future moves is possible for those willing to try it. You can see where your only opponents pawns are, calculate what moves are possible on his/her next turn, and plan to make your next move based on what you think the probability of the other player's next move will be.

With three or four players, that ability is reduced, and the game feels more chaotic. You can try to plan something, but other people move in unexpected ways and when it gets to your turn it is less likely you are able to do the plan you thought you would.

I like both "versions" of the game. You have to be willing to "let go" in higher player counts and embrace the chaos, but there is still a lot to plan on, and good play will win out in the end I think; it isn't totally random like something like Fluxx; it's just not as easy to read as the two player game.

Since I have not played Seeland myself, I won't comment too much about it, other than it does seem like an interesting game, some of my friends have tried it to varying results, and I don't think owning either Seeland or Finca would prevent one from enjoying the other; that is, I don't think they are that similar other than the use of a rondel type device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or both?

I already have Finca, and have a hankering to buy Seeland too. Or, should I not bother since they're both so similar?

Yes/no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I haven't played seeland so I can't offer comparison, but I've played Finca alot. Two things to consider about Finca:

1. It's MUCH better for 2 than for 3 or 4.
2. Even though it seems light, and you can play it lightly if you want, it will not buckle under the weight of very intense play. It can be played at a very high level. We keep discovering new strategies and tactics which weren't apparent on the surface. My girlfriend and I can't play with anyone but each other because we decimate less experienced opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.