Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has become deathly quiet in all the CoH forums that I am subscribed to...
I know it's obnoxious to ask, but what is the current realistic estimate of this game's release? First quarter of 2013 or will it be later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I heard was December 2012, but it's been a while since I heard anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
Last I heard was December 2012, but it's been a while since I heard anything.

Me too, but it seems like most companies send their games to the printers about 90 days before they expect to release them....

Just a little worried... The last Pacific Theater tactical game I had was Banzai and that was a while back. Frontline: Guadalcanal seems to be on indefinite hold so this game is my only hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe just posted on another post:

"Guadalcanal is in the final layout phase.

D-Day is having its maps finalized. They look gorgeous. Wait until you see Sainte Mère Église on one of the maps! "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rfoth wrote:

D-Day is having its maps finalized. They look gorgeous. Wait until you see Sainte Mère Église on one of the maps! "

Which thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10040201#10040201
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rfoth wrote:

That's great to hear! I am torn on what to do! Should I get Guadalcanal or wait for D-Day? I am bigger fan of the European theater, but with the CoH game system the Pacific seems promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
RollingSherman wrote:
rfoth wrote:

That's great to hear! I am torn on what to do! Should I get Guadalcanal or wait for D-Day? I am bigger fan of the European theater, but with the CoH game system the Pacific seems promising.

I'll probably Buy both eventually. But I'm definitely jumping on Guadalcanal right when it comes out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I will probably get Guadalcanal right away due to D-Day being farther off. Unless they are miraculously done close to each other, in that case I would wait for D-day and get Guadalcanal later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RollingSherman wrote:
, in that case I would wait for D-day and get Guadalcanal later.

This sounds like a lose lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well waiting won't kill me, I am fairly new to the series and have not even played SoS or PoH enough yet

But according to the news from Academy, Guadalcanal is coming out around March and First Men In wont be out till around July.

My master plan is: I will ask for Guadalcanal as my Birthday gift and get First Men In for Christmas next year!ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer

I think Uwe at Academy said that 'Guadalcanal' would be out around March 2013 due to the amount of play testing that it has to undergo. Dean Haley, the games designer, adjusted some of the rules (night combat) that he felt were not working all that well and now its on track. From all that I've seen, including a lot of conversation with Uwe and Dean, Guadalcanal is going to have a very distinctive 'Pacific--Oceanic' if you will, feel to it.

In other words, Conflict of Heroes 'Guadalcanal' will play like Guadalcanal should, and not an Eastern front COH version, placed on a map with beaches and palm trees----and for me and I suspect for everyone else who gets the game, this is an important consideration.

The map is really well done along with the counter designs, I feel this might well turn out to be one of the best in the COH series. Its coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In other words, Conflict of Heroes 'Guadalcanal' will play like Guadalcanal should, and not an Eastern front COH version, placed on a map with beaches and palm trees----and for me and I suspect for everyone else who gets the game, this is an important consideration.

Thank you very much, Steve. I look forward to March, though I wish it could be sooner.....

Do you know whether there will be a "design your own scenario" option / Point system included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer

I don't know for sure..but you know it wouldn't be all that difficult to do that on your own...but i know a scenario design plan has been in the works...so next time I talk with Uwe I'll ask. In fact, I'm going to talk with Dean tomorrow and I'll ask him about that and some other things. Uwe is still in Germany after demo'ing a couple of games at 'ESSEN 2012. He should be back next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Academy Games website, as of November 9th, "Status: Maps and counter art are done. Firefights and rules are being laid out. Projected release is March 2013."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Greetings all,
Here is what I know and what I think about the status of Guadalcanal. A very dangerous combination indeed.

What I know:
Uwe has all of the files for the Guadalcanal, and he is working on laying out the Firefights, the Firefight book and the rules for the Pacific. The maps and counter are done. I know that to be true, because I have unmounted copies of them. Just a teaser there. Uwe would never post anything on his web site that wasn't true.

CoH games are very labor intensive to produce. Much more so than 1812, 1775, Underground Railroad, and Strike of the Eagle. For example, CoH games have longer rule books than 1775 that are graphic intensive, firefight books with at least 12 firefights in each one that are graphic intensive, a campaign over view for each game that is graphic intensive, maps that are graphic intensive, counters that are second to none (IMHO) and extra goodies in a few of the games. It all adds up to a time consuming task that makes no money until the games are out the door. It only makes good business sense to insert a game that is relatively easy to produce into the Q to generate some cash flow for paying bills and developing the other projects.

And on top of that, Guadalcanal takes the CoH series of games into new territory (pun intended) that require specific rules for things like caves, banzai charges (human wave attacks), landing craft, night combat, and canister ammunition. These new rules will be in the Firefight Book (I think ), so their inclusion in the system will not require a re-write of the rule book.

Designing and developing Guadalcanal took a good amount of time for me to do, and it will take time for Uwe to do his own developing, play testing and printing (more graphics). I can't blame him there. This is the first game I have ever designed and play tested, making me an unknown quality. So Uwe took a risk by putting money into the Guadalcanal counters and maps before the game was even fully developed. Uwe didn't do that blindly, as much of the game was done when I submitted it to him, but it was still a risk.

Here is what I think, so take it with a grain of salt.
Guadalcanal will be the most complete tactical game ever published. The scope is huge. 20+ firefights in two Firefight Books that span six
months worth of time.

About 25% of those firefights are what I call firefight contests that have two or more linked firefights in each one. How that all prints out has yet to be seen, but it will include solo firefights that use the new solo game being released in conjunction with AtB v2. And it sounds like there is a new deck of random event cards being developed that will be included in the game. I for one would much rather see the publication date for Guadalcanal pushed back again than to have the game released before all of this has been fully developed.

Anyway, so much for my ramblings. Rest assured that Uwe is working on Guadalcanal and it is getting closer to being released.

Take care all,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You, Dean.
Sounds exciting....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
I'd also like to mention that both Dean and Uwe are sticklers for historical accuracy and Guadalcanal should reflect this. One thing I should mention,I'm a Pacific fan and in particular a Guadalcanal affectionado, so I was particularly interested in doing the cover for this game. I was commissioned long before Dean turned in all his materials. So Academy's dedication to this project is unquestioned. We are all anxious to play this one!

Scott, I just spoke with Uwe and asked about the Scenario self-design and he told me that since Guadalcanal has a point system it would be very easy to do this yourself. Now, having said that he did say that the inclusion of a scenario design is under consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little bit of good news- Guadalcanal is now availalble for pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
down range wrote:

And on top of that, Guadalcanal takes the CoH series of games into new territory (pun intended) that require specific rules for things like caves, banzai charges (human wave attacks), landing craft, night combat, and canister ammunition. These new rules will be in the Firefight Book (I think ), so their inclusion in the system will not require a re-write of the rule book.

I hope you guys kept the rules elegant. CoH is a game I have taught in 15 minutes before and I would hate to lose that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Art,
You can still teach the game in 15 minutes. The new rules are kept as simple and elegant as the existing rules. No worse than the Balkas in SoS. But if you are teaching new players the game I would start with daytime firefights that do not have banzai charges or an amphibious landing. . Then once new players are comfortable with the basic rules, add in night firefights with banzai charges, and firefights with amphibious landings.

The first two firefights in the book are training firefights. The remainder of the firefights are in chronological order, so the rules come at you as they are needed. This allows player to see how the campaign progressed from beginning to end.

There is also a Summary Sheet for the Pacific.

The nice thing about Guadalcanal is that you can look on it a primer for future Pacific battles and wars in Asia. The amphibious actions are small in scope (eight landing craft tops) against lightly defended beaches. So getting a handle on the amphibious rules is easy. Much easier than if we had started with Tarawa or Peleliu.

Take care,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:

Yes! Heading for Academy Games site to put in my pre-order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:

That's great to hear! I think I will be putting in a pre-order at somepoint. Although I need some time to recover. My wallet is hurting right now. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most secret preorder announcement I have ever seen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer

Well, Academy wanted to make sure it appealed to the surreptitious nature of everyone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.