Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Shadow Hunters last night. I brought the game, and no one else had played before, so I taught it. Of the seven of us, four were relatively new to the group (first or second time attending), so this game seemed a good choice for something light at the start of the night.

The setup was two Hunters, two Shadows, and three Neutrals. All 20 characters (original and expansion) were possible draws. I was playing Blue and drew Ellen.

Everyone played cautiously in the beginning, mostly drawing cards and not attacking. I had explained the pros and cons of attacking before knowing anyone's identity, and I had handed out character reference sheets (based on David Grabiner's file) so that everyone could see what they might be facing.

The Black player was the first to reveal himself, as Vampire. Within two or three turns, he was dead, as the Hunters and some of the Neutrals ganged up. The White player revealed as Allie and healed. A card forced a Hunter, Gregor, played by Yellow, to reveal. He had taken some damage already, so he was finished off by the remaining Shadow, Orange player, who revealed as Werewolf.

Right after Werewolf revealed, I revealed Ellen and used her one-time power to void Werewolf's counterattacking power for the rest of the game. One of the Neutrals (played by Green) was eliminated around this time, but I didn't notice which Neutral character. Werewolf, with a handgun and some help from Allie, killed Ellen (me). Three of the original seven were alive — Werewolf, Allie, and Catherine (played by Pink). With all Hunters dead, the game ended with a joint victory for the Shadows and Allie.

The varied pacing of Shadow Hunters was good. It started out slowly, both because we were all new to the game and because we were waiting for identity information before attacking. After the first identity was revealed, the pace accelerated. The endgame seemed to be substantially quicker than Bang!, a game with a lot of overlap in mechanics with Shadow Hunters.

Everyone seemed to enjoy Shadow Hunters, and some were asking questions that suggested they might buy it for themselves. The game had great crossover appeal for both newbies and experienced gamers in our group. I feel good about my purchase, and I can see the game hitting the table at least occasionally (despite heavy competition in my gaming groups).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As you mentioned, the flow of the game is different, Bang! often drags by the end whereas Shadow Hunters accelerates for a quick climax.

I like Bang! but I find Shadow Hunters superior in every aspect, most importantly in how well the game flows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Belthus wrote:
A card forced a Hunter, Gregor, played by Yellow, to reveal.

There's no such card to FORCE hunter reveal. There is one green (hermit) card that makes player reveal his identity to one other player. Additionally, there are two white (church) cards that give hunter an advantage if he chooses to reveal, but that is a choice and not a mandatory action.
There is only one card that FORCES a reveal - white (church) card "mirror". This card forces to reveal your identity if you are a shadow (except Unknown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiefling wrote:
Belthus wrote:

There's no such card to FORCE hunter reveal. There is one green (hermit) card that makes player reveal his identity to one other player. Additionally, there are two white (church) cards that give hunter an advantage if he chooses to reveal, but that is a choice and not a mandatory action.
There is only one card that FORCES a reveal - white (church) card "mirror". This card forces to reveal your identity if you are a shadow (except Unknown).

You're right. I am thinking that the card was either Disenchant Mirror (and he misread it as applying to himself); or it was Advent, allowing a full heal for a Hunter (and I misremembered how damaged he was after the reveal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Belthus wrote:
Tiefling wrote:
Belthus wrote:

You're right. I am thinking that the card was either Disenchant Mirror (and he misread it as applying to himself); or it was Advent, allowing a full heal for a Hunter (and I misremembered how damaged he was after the reveal).

I just wanted to clarify the rules a bit, as you said it was your first game of Shadow Hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.