Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: well_written [+] paragraphdriven [+] [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction

You are standing in your friendly local game store. There before you is a copy of Descent, the stretched limo of the board-gaming world.

Do you:

Eagerly grab the box and rush to the counter still not quite believing the game has arrived? Maybe this is all just a wondereful dream ...
Go to 3

Take a moment to reflect on all the balance issues you've had with Fantasy Flight Games in the past?
Go to 1

Barely notice a box with a picture of a dragon on it.
Go to 2

Needless to say, you don't buy Descent. You go home and write a review of the game having never played it, making a point by point list of how unbalanced you found Doom: The Boardgame to be. And what's with all the chrome? Who needs plastic miniatures to represent all the monsters and heroes? A small cardboard chit would have been more than adequate. And do we really need fully illustrated interlocking board sections when a pad of hex paper and a pencil would have done the job just as well? Let's not even get started on the male to female character ratio ...

Your Quest ends here. You rate the game between a 1 and a 3.

You spare Descent a sideways glance on your way to picking up a copy of Caylus. "Hmmm, big box" you think to yourself.

You Quest Ends here. You don't even bother rating the game.

It's here! You've been checking the internet religiously every day for the last 3 months and finally it's arrived, after having been transported from the printers in China by hot air balloon. You reach out reverently and grab the game, thinking to yourself that this must be how Sir Wot's His Name The Pious felt when discovering the Holy Grail.

Do You:

Regularly work out? Go to 5

Find lifting the remote control to change channels a taxing exercise? Go to 6

You lift the lid off the box, laughing inwardly at the pro-longed farting noise. You really are a big kid! A veritable pile of goodies meets your eyes - sheets of top quality counters and floorplans give way to piles of plastic miniatures of a better quality than Doom's and made out of a coloured plastic that is less vomit-inducing than that game's models. There's a stack of cards complete with a free elastic band in order to hold them together! (If your box is missing the elastic band just e-mail Fantasy Flight. I'm sure they'll be happy to replace it). You set aside the rules because, lets face it, you've already downloaded the on-line version and read them thoroughly, haven't you? Getting a bunch of mates around you settle down to give the game a whirl.

If you have played Doom: The Boardgame go to 8

If you have played dungeon crawl games before or are interested in role-playing games go to 7

If this isn't the sort of game you'd normally play go to 9

Crikey that's heavy! Must be a shed-load of goodies in there! You carry the game over to the counter, muscles bulging out of your shirt like a somewhat-less green Incredible Hulk.
Go to 4

Gripping the box by both ends you stand up, ready to hand over your cash and check out your new present to yourself. With a loud crack you hear something in your back give way. "Great googleymoogley!" you cry, "that's mother-loving heavy!" Shop assistants rush to your aid and fellow shoppers look on with curiosity. With difficulty, the shop assistants manage to get your broken body over to the till where you hand over your cash, gritting your teeth to stop from howling in agony. Job done, you hitch a ride with an abmulance back to your place.
Go to 4

You feel pretty much right at home with this game. The inter-locking map boards kind of remind you of Advanced HeroQuest. The dice mechanic that works out range, damage and accurancy all at once is a stroke of genius. You love the way the heroes can choose in what order they take their turn and wonder why more of these type of games don't do this. Saves having to arrange the seating order so that the fighters go before the wizards. Sure it takes quite a while to play through a mission, but you're used to all-nighter role-playing sessions.

However, you find the lack of campaign play a bit odd for this sort of game. It somehow just doesn't feel right that you start each quest with a brand new character with basic skills and equipment. Some of your players seem to feel like-wise and you have to repeatedly tell them "no, you can't 'just keep one gold item' for the next quest." And talking about those gold items, some of them really seem to turn the hero characters into Unstoppable Killing Machines Of Death.

You notice that the quests seem to start out quite tricky for the heroes. That is, until they get their first gold item. After this point it turns into something akin to a walk in the park. Hordes of Beastmen and skeletons are obliterated with the heroes barely batting an eyelid. Still, you play role-playing games, balance isn't such a huge issue and to be honest it doesn't stop the game from being a lot of fun.

Your quest ends here - you rate the game between a 6 and an 8.

You pretty much know how to play this game already. Most of the mechanics are very similar - the dice, the skills, the maps. There's a few changes here and there and most of these have been for the better. Chief amongst these seems to be the difficulty setting - it's nowhere near as insanely difficult for the heroes as Doom: the Boardgame is for the marines. The components are of a similar quality to Doom, although if anything they're slightly better. It's basically an updated version of Doom with a fantasy theme.

Did you like Doom? Go to 11

Did you think Doom sucked? Go to 10

Well, it's fun enough for what it is. This game isn't really your cup of tea but you can see why it'd appeal to a certain type of gamer. You had fun playing it, but maybe not quite enough fun in relation to the amount of time it took to play.

You Quest ends here - you rate this between a 5 and 7.

A pit trap opens up beneath your feet. Game Over man, game over.

You liked Doom and you're unsuprised to discover that you like Descent too. If anything, you like Descent a little more than Doom. It's still got its issues - it takes a long time to play, some of the missions are better designed than others and the balance can still be a bit off, but despite all this it's still a lot of fun. And it just looks so damn cool set up on the table.
Your Quest ends here - you rate this between a 7 and 8.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I tip my tri-corn to you, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the funnest review I've ever read! Thanks for letting me play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bravo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, just great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. K.
Poland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, funny review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And the scary part is that 9 times out of 10, going through the exercice would probably lead to the correct result. Scary...

Christian

And thanks for a good laugh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmb
Outstanding. And strangely enough leads me to believe my expectations of the game were spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a most excellent review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Normand
Canada
Val-David
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
LMAO...well ok this isn't the most detailed reviews i have seen here but frankly..if you need that...go read the other one!!!! Damn this is too close to how i buy game!!!! coolcool The expectation....the big grin opening the box....what can i say....

bravo!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hall
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much Jim this was the most fun I have had in the last eight hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snipy3 wrote:
How come there is no way to rate the game a 9 or 10?

Those numbers were given as options in the choose-your-own-adventure-preview before the game released. Once the game was released thay are no longer an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. You even had me pegged down to Advanced Heroquest.
wow
Thats amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's the most fun I think I've ever had reading a review. Thank you very much for the extra effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh That was good... It'd be nice to see a few more of those now and again around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Outcome # 7 was SPOT ON. I had just finished giving Descent a 7 for those exact reasons when I read this. Awesome job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I gave it an '8'! Excellent review! The best I've read on BGG! A '5.0' to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bryant
United States
Biddeford
Maine
flag msg tools
That was a fun and accurate review. Campaign style not being supported is kin of a big deal for me but I still liked the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That was fun to read. Fantastic idea to get a first impression on the game. Thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nailed us to a tee, even down to the "can we keep a gold treasure" campaign option. I just tell them their hero's spend all their money on wine, woman and booze.

If you enjoyed this review you should try and find the Quest called the Betrayal of Ismondor which was posted on the Final Fantasy Webside, but sadly appears to have been removed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are mulling around the Geek when you come across the link for the game, Descent: Journey into Dark.

Do you:
Open up the Reviews page and look for the review that has got the most Views or Replies: Go To 1.

Think: not another Dungeon crawl game and exit the site? Exit.

Wonder how someone can have amassed a staggering 70+ tips for a single review Go To 2

You speed read an entirely different review of this boardgame. You ignore the parts that don't quite align with your pre-conceived assessment of the game. You now consider the other review to be well prepared but you continue your life on the geek, otherwise uninspired. Go to Exit.

You read this review and form an opinion:

Which is ?

You are completely unimpressed with this review because it doesn't detail the precise component parts of the game, except for the rubber band that could be used to keep the cards together. You are vehemently opposed to the use of a rubber band to hold cards together and will never shy of any opportunity to berate other players, with your smug belief that this is certain to damage their decks. You Exit disdainfully.

or

You are thoroughly impressed with the author's use of flowcharting techniques to analyse the game from many different angles and find that the layout to be exceptionally clear, informative and entertaining, irrespective of your final conclusions. Go To 3

You now feel that you have the perfect overall impression of the game.

You react by:

Moving on immediately without tipping, content in the knowledge that you have always been a free-loader and will happily continue with your parasitic pursuit of knowledge at no cost. Exit

or

Regard the author as having elevated the art of games review into an entirely new and exciting plane. You express a desire that the author will apply his reviewing skills to many more games and decide to tip him for his excellence. Go to Tip.

Tip!

Thanks Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done... I was just waiting for the result that ended me up in a game store "filled with twisty passages; all alike."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a rubbish Overlord and you're arm lock techniques to get me to plug you're review are equally poor!

Lucky for you you're reviewing skills are above average then isn't it.

Plug, plug, plug....!

Jimmy? JIMMY!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmb
Supercool review. My quest ended at 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fantastic! More please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.