Subject: The other maps? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier
France
Colmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I recently bought Steam: Barons and played it with my girlfriend on the northern England map (to remind us of Brass). We really enjoyed it. As we just adore Steam, we also have both the Mayfair extensions.

So my question is: did someone try Steam: Barons with any other map than the big USA/Canada or northern England that's in the box?
In that case, did they adapt the rules in any way?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
Colmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is following this thread, I've found a variant for the Ruhr map. I missed this one as I was looking for a way to use other Steam maps...

Chris Flood
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
posted it on this thread:

MULRAH wrote:
Alright, here's what I did to use the Ruhr map from Steam. It provided a much better experience than simply using the standard set-up.

Placement of New Cities and Towns

Shuffle all the new city tiles and draw one at a time for placement on the board during set-up. For each tile, roll a six-sided die and place that tile on the town indicated below.

A. 1st and 2nd Tile Drawn
1 - Maastricht
2 - Venlo
3 - Krefeld
4 - Neuss
5 - Duren
6 - reroll

B. 3rd and 4th Tile Drawn
1 - Wesel
2 - Mulheim
3 - Recklinghausen
4 - Bochum
5 - Hagan
6 - reroll

C. 5th and 6th Tile Drawn
1 - Wuppertal
2 - Solingen
3 - Remscheid
4 - Siegburg
5 - Siegen
6 - reroll

D. 7th and 8th Tile Drawn
1-2 - reroll on Table A.
3-4 - reroll on Table B.
5-6 - reroll on Table C.

Then, get out 8 City Growth tiles, which will serve as markers for new towns. You will roll an 8-sided and a 12-sided die---aka a d8 and a d12--to discover the coordinates of each new town. For the first four new towns, look at the result on the d8 and count that many columns of hexes over from the left, then look at the d12 and count that many hexes down from the top of the map. For example, a result of 1 on the d8 and 5 on the d12 would indicate Eindhoven. For the 5th through 8th new towns, use the d8 result to count columns from the right. Of course, if you come up with a location already occupied by a city or town, reroll.

Once done, you should have 8 new cities and 8 new towns on the board.

Quick Method - Leave towns as is and use the d8 and d12 to place new cities on empty tiles. This approach is faster but less historical, since you are placing cities in areas that are not necessarily urbanized.

Goods Placement

Add black cubes to the goods bag. Draw cubes as instructed by the rules for Steam Barons, but discard black cubes instead of gray.

Other than these additional steps during set-up, play the game normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.