Subject: TTR: Europe or TTR: Nordic Countries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Hi all. I'm hoping you can all weigh in and help me make a decision on whether I should purchase Europe or Nordic Countries. Here's the story. My parents have recently moved to TX for a few months to take care of my grandmother who is suffering from cancer. They were going back and forth last year and tried to take some games with them to play with other family in the area. However, the rest of the family are all very old and don't enjoy games so my parents were a little bored while there. Right before they left this last time I met up with them for the weekend and took my brand new TTR: USA to try it out and see if they'd like it. Well, they did. A lot! They were really into the game (my mom even started standing towards the end of the game because it became a little tense). Since my mom is a travel agent and loves traveling the world I mentioned that there were other editions and expansions to the game and she got very excited. I'm going to be flying out to visit them in a few weeks and, at first I thought I would take my copy of the game so we could play it, however now I'm thinking about buying them their own copy so they can keep it out there with them to have something to play. So here's my question for all of you. Knowing I need to get them a base game I can only get USA, Europe or Nordic Countries. Since I already own USA I thought it would be a little redundant to purchase that one again I'm focusing on the other two. Originally, I thought about Nordic Countries since it's specifically designed for 2-3 players. However, if I got them Europe then more people in the family could play as well (I just don't know how likely that would be over there). Which do you think would be better, assuming that it would just be 2 players? Does one play better than the other at 2 players? Are there differences between the two? Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard L
Australia
Woy Woy
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to be much help because we love all the variations.

I think Nordic, which you mentioned is specifically designed for 2-3 players, plays better with 2 than the base game. 2-player TtR can get a bit samey because there is usually enough space on the board to avoid each other and create long routes.

The Switzerland map available in Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland is also designed for 2-3 players and would go very nicely with Nordic. (Sorry, TtR addiction getting in the way there )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much do they enjoy conflict and blocking in the game. If they enjoy that competitive aspect, I would go for Nordic, as it is a very cutthroat map. If they prefer a more open map where there is less blocking, I'd say to go with Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe.

First, I think it will be easier to find the cities for an average American (they've heard of London, Paris, Vienna etc... but have they ever heard of Tampere, Mo i Rana or Umeå?).
Second, I dislike some of the exception-rules in Nordic (trade 3:1 for a ferry, but 4:1 on the long track to Murmansk... just hard to remember).

Or you could get Europe for yourself and give your parents your USA version, then you are 100% certain they will get a game they know and enjoy. (Plus the USA version would increase the chance of them getting other folks into a game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
Originally, I thought about Nordic Countries since it's specifically designed for 2-3 players. However, if I got them Europe then more people in the family could play as well

Hey. So maybe my question is, why do you need to use the word "or" in the original question in the subject line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with TtR NC. It's newer, so personally that makes it a more attractive option. It also means others are more likely to have Europe if you wanan play that. It does have better design for 2p

Push come to shove, you couldn't go wrong with TtR E either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Kiam Lim
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest getting europe plus the europa expansion which then scales nicely for 2.

Zhiqian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fallenius
Sweden
(södra Älvsborg)
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All versions have their advantages. Maybe Europe would be best to start with? Then they (or you) could later buy an expansion (eg India/Switzerland or Europa 1912) if the success continues. If you choose NC, you are more or less stuck with that map and probably would hesitate to buy an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ludgate
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mac_s_1 wrote:
Or you could get Europe for yourself and give your parents your USA version, then you are 100% certain they will get a game they know and enjoy. (Plus the USA version would increase the chance of them getting other folks into a game.)

Yes, this!

Europe is awesome and a bit more complex and fun than the Vanilla version. You get an upgrade, they get a game they like. Everyone wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTR Nordic Countries is the best two-player map. I usually play "nice" rules when I play with my wife, which means that both routes of a double route can be used, one by each player. Your parents would certainly be able to play it that way if they like. As has been mentioned, the exceptions are bit hard to remember (3 for 1 on Ferries, 4 for 1 on long route to Murmansk). I have played Nordic many more times than Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludgate wrote:
mac_s_1 wrote:

Yes, this!

Europe is awesome and a bit more complex and fun than the Vanilla version. You get an upgrade, they get a game they like. Everyone wins!

I give a third vote to this idea. I was thinking this same thing while reading your post. You know they like it, and they may not enjoy some aspects of TtR:E. My wife prefers the USA version to all other versions that we own because she doesn't like the way tunnels and ferries and mandalas change the game.

I like the variations of the different maps, but some people like to keep it straightforward. How complex are your parents in their gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond

Michigan
msg tools
Just to give you another choice, I had an opportunity at Gencon to play a game called Expedite. If you like Ticket to Ride, then I think you will love Expedite. It has many of the same mechanics, but with a few new twists that make it a more exciting game, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bondjamesebond wrote:
Just to give you another choice, I had an opportunity at Gencon to play a game called Expedite. If you like Ticket to Ride, then I think you will love Expedite. It has many of the same mechanics, but with a few new twists that make it a more exciting game, in my opinion.

Your profile only shows one game owned which happens to be the game you keep saying is better than Ticket to Ride. Designer, publisher, investor in this game perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fallenius
Sweden
(södra Älvsborg)
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenM wrote:
bondjamesebond wrote:

Your profile only shows one game owned which happens to be the game you keep saying is better than Ticket to Ride. Designer, publisher, investor in this game perhaps?

...and only one thread and one comment ever written. Both covers she TtR versus that-other-game issue. Strange, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Europe. You're not locked in to only 2-3p play, and the 2p game is very fun. (It's a game my wife and I play often, though we also have the 1912 expansion, which is worth it for destination tickets alone.) The Europe map is gorgeous, and the tunnels and ferries keep the game interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mac_s_1 wrote:

I decided to go this route because I know that eventually other members of the family would want to play as well so I wanted a set that could accommodate everyone. However, when I asked my mom which version she wanted she said Europe. I think I will take both (US and Europe) and play them. That way she can see how Europe plays and then make the final decision at that point. I'll take whichever one she doesn't want. Thanks for the help everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.