Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a 3-player game and because Hades came out 2 or 3 times + Ares's regular appearances, the game felt like it ended early.

Granted, all invasions were successful (it was a bloodthirsty night), but it got me thinking that maybe I would prefer playing without Hades, and focus more on the bidding wars.

I still would keep the lesser gods, heroes and items. I was just wondering if anybody else has felt like scaling down the frequent warfare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always roll just one die instead of two for Hades track, so he comes out less frequently. Which might make sense anyway, since each god only comes out half as many times as in a 5-player game.

I've only used Hades in 5-player games myself so far, so I can't really make any other comment on the frequency for 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hades coming out 3 times would not be what I would consider a "short" game of Cyclades so it all depends. Even with the original, Cyclades was roughly a 1 hr game and I haven't noticed Hades making the game significantly shorter.

Still, the game plays fine as is and usually I tell anyone who asks that Hades is an expansion best purchased when you've played Cyclades many, many times and it starts to become predictable. There are a lot more avenues for winning in the expansion and it makes some of the previous sure-win strategies from the base game harder to pull off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Hades coming out 3 times would not be what I would consider a "short" game of Cyclades so it all depends. Even with the original, Cyclades was roughly a 1 hr game and I haven't noticed Hades making the game significantly shorter.

Still, the game plays fine as is and usually I tell anyone who asks that Hades is an expansion best purchased when you've played Cyclades many, many times and it starts to become predictable. There are a lot more avenues for winning in the expansion and it makes some of the previous sure-win strategies from the base game harder to pull off.

It wasn't as short in time as short in turns. The 2 Hades dice just rolled high enough every time and the shield item was used to speed him up even more at one point.

I haven't played Cyclades enough, but I wanted the expansion for many different reasons. I just don't know if Hades is a good idea for 3 players, of if it skews the game towards the military paths.

Just for clarification, the recent session was between my nephew, my girlfriend and me. My girlfriend generally dislikes direct conflict and tit-for-tat, which is exacerbated in any 3 player game, because one player attacks, then the victim retaliates and the third player sits idle, waiting to either gang up on the weaker opponent or employ a successful, peaceful strategy.

My nephew is usually the attacker, and he has the propensity to attack her first. So he did, and he got the island thanks to the undead helpers. This was like in the third turn or so. My girlfriend soon retaliated with the Pegasus and reclaimed her island. I bought a bunch of ships and lined them up nicely to invade her weakened state but I lost the bidding to the next warring god so I got attacked instead and lost my biggest island. By this time, both of my opponents had one metropolis and were either one philosopher or building away from getting their second metropolis. All I had was one island with 3 cornucopia. My girlfriend attacked one of my nephew's islands for the win while I twiddled my thumbs.

Maybe it was all due to the attackers' lucky rolls, or maybe 'cause I ended with so little, but I think I only saw like 8 or 9 monsters/heroes and I never got to bid on Athena...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
From a strategy standpoint, you should let your girlfriend know (any any new players) that just about the best thing that can happen early in a game is to have your island taken (taking you down to 1 island). Sure, you may lose 1-2 income however you also gain the advantage of using Apolon for 4 gold and a cornocopia instead of 1 (provided you use him first).

This can be a huge advantage if played right since it's more difficult for players to contend for your last island (unless they prove it can win them the game), you get the income advantage, and you didn't have to spend a crapload of gold to create the situation (unlike your nephew who probably spend a boatload on Hades).

Aside from that, there isn't anything about Hades that necessarily makes the game more conflict orientated in my opinion, and not allowing Zues to cycle endlessly through creatures (since you can't cycle Heroes) is probably enough to balance it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your tips, Aaron!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.