Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest v04 PDF: http://www.outworld-studio.com/xwing/pdf/Dagobahs-DSTR-v01.p...

Revised revised playtest version. Read it, play it if you can, let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, very impressive!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
United Kingdom
sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a great scenario and I'm sure you'll get a lot of people playtesting it.

I'm in the odd position of having played X-Wimg solidly for a couple of weeks while I was in Canada but now I'm in the UK I've having to wait for the UK release to get playing again; this will be on the table very quickly when my orders are delivered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, what a great idea and laid out very well
I don't have the game, but that sounds awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I seek someone called Dagobah Dave"
"Mighty designer he is...mighty designer..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're testing it now. On turn 1, we discovered that the Power Units are too easy to destroy, so we're upping those to Hull 6 (instead of 3).

More to come...

Later, we realized the turbolaser batteries are too deadly. We're dropping their attack dice to just 1 (which will be 2 at Range 1). There are 5 of these bad guys in the middle of the play area, and they can reach almost anywhere. They don't need to do a lot of damage individually, since we want them to be a nuisance for the Rebels and not their overriding concern.

In this first playtest, we got to the trench entry area, but the Rebels botched their approach so bad that they didn't have any torpedo-equipped ships to make the run without circling back around and trying again, and X-Wings were blowing up all over the place from turbolaser fire. So we'll have to set up and start again.

We can see some cool possibilities using ion cannon against Imperials in the trench (or as they approach the trench). A Y-Wing is almost certainly going to be in the next Rebel squad.

I've updated the mission pack with the couple of changes from our first test. The link is the same (it's in the original post in this thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After several tests of the actual trench-running part of the mission, and after making a few little adjustments and clarifications to the mission pack, we're creating squads for another full scale test, 100 points each.

That Death Star is toast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest version 2 is up (use the same link as before) based on today's test games. This could be the most perfectest version yet.

Download it. Print it. Play it. Save the day. Pew pew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely off topic, these figures look so dang amazing, and the pic above just emphasizes that fact. I was a little worried that the pics made the figs look better than they actually were, but that fear was rapidly belayed.

Oh, and thanks for this mission, looks pretty cool. I'm going to try to play soon (and might stretch the trench to 4 or 5 feet).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mont
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
This sounds like a very tactically interesting scenario. I have only played this game once so far, and that was with an extremely basic setup (24 points, only the base set ships) so I didn't get a chance to see most of the tactics yet. I just read the mission and haven't actually played it yet, so I might be missing some things, but there are a few things that don't make sense:

1. Why do the turbolasers have to fire at the Imperials' own ships if they are in the firing arc (or choose to not shoot at anything)? Why can't the turbolasers just shoot the Rebels? Is there a particular thematic or gameplay reason for this?

2. It seems like you would almost never attack a power core unless there were really no other targets worth attacking. The power cores take 6 hits to destroy and most of the effects they give you are pretty weak for that (you might not get anything at all, you might just shut down one turbolaser attack or one planned enemy maneuver for a turn).

4. Is there any way for the Rebels to win if they have used up all their proton torpedoes and have not destroyed the Death Star yet? (In the gameplay example, it shows that Luke was planning on a second attack run, bu there were too many Imperial ships to successfully do it. But how would he have even been able to do the second attack run, if he used up his torpedoes during the first run? X-Wings only have one slot for torpedoes.)

5. If an Imperial ship with an upgrade on it is destroyed, then the upgrade card can be reassigned to a later reinforcement. Does this also apply to Imperial upgrade cards that are discarded other ways, such as Munitions Failure or firing a single-use weapon?

6. To clarify, since exiting the trench is an action, it takes place during the "perform action" step of the Movement Phase, after movement. So if I want to exit the trench, I have to perform a maneuver that leaves me still inside the trench (otherwise I will get destroyed due to hitting a wall), then exit the trench as my action. Then I can exit the trench area safely on my next turn. Is that correct? (If so, it seems like this makes it very difficult to get out for another pass after you've fired torpedoes at the exhaust port and failed to destroy the Death Star. The turn after you have fired torpedoes, you have an extremely limited area to maneuver, so it is easy for an opponent to maneuver behind you for a close range shot.)

7. This is my biggest question: What is the reasoning behind having the roll that triggers the countdown be tied to when the Imperials get reinforcements? There are several things that seem wrong about that:

- Thematically, it seems to have no justification. Why would Imperial fighters getting destroyed help the Death Star to get into position faster?

- It creates a weird situation where the Rebels may want to deliberately avoid destroying an Imperial ship if they don't think they are in a good position to take out the Death Star, in order to avoid potentially triggering the countdown.

- It necessitates the rule about the Imperials not getting reinforcements if they are destroyed by something other than "Rebel action." (I assume that's the reason for that rule.) But that can lead to ambiguous situations - let's say that the Rebel hits an Imperial ship in the trench with an ion cannon, and the next turn the Imperial ship hits the wall because he is forced to do the "1 straight" maneuver. Does that count as "Rebel action"?

It seems like it would make more sense to just have a fixed number of turns and not tie it to reinforcements or die rolls. But of course I haven't played the scenario, so maybe I am missing something? I would be very interested in the thought process behind this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex319 wrote:
1. Why do the turbolasers have to fire at the Imperials' own ships if they are in the firing arc (or choose to not shoot at anything)? Why can't the turbolasers just shoot the Rebels? Is there a particular thematic or gameplay reason for this?

In the movie, when Darth Vader and his TIE wingmen enter the trench, the trench guns stop firing. Having the trench guns in fixed firing positions, indiscriminately attacking anything in range, seemed like a way to simulate that.

The Imperials can order the guns to stop so that they aren't in the line of fire too, or they can risk the guns along with the Rebels.

Alex319 wrote:
2. It seems like you would almost never attack a power core unless there were really no other targets worth attacking. The power cores take 6 hits to destroy and most of the effects they give you are pretty weak for that (you might not get anything at all, you might just shut down one turbolaser attack or one planned enemy maneuver for a turn).

You may need to play the scenario to see how useful those effects can be. You're right, they might have no effect, but they might be just the help you need.

Power Nodes don't shoot back, so they're easier targets than turbolasers (although it's a good idea to blast some of those, too). If a Rebel is flying around and not in the trench, then it should be giving air support. You should be blasting Power Nodes in the hopes that the effects will benefit your trench runners. You might get the chance to shut down a trench turbolaser, or take 1 shield off the exhaust port. It's all about making that final shot at the end of the trench, and Power Nodes can increase your chances of success at that.

We're testing the Power Nodes with Hull 4, and that's probably better. We had no trouble with them at Hull 6, but we were concentrating fire from three ships on the way to the trench entrance. A single air supporting X-Wing should be able to reliably take them out in two shots. Hull 4 sounds about right for that.

Alex319 wrote:
4. Is there any way for the Rebels to win if they have used up all their proton torpedoes and have not destroyed the Death Star yet? (In the gameplay example, it shows that Luke was planning on a second attack run, bu there were too many Imperial ships to successfully do it. But how would he have even been able to do the second attack run, if he used up his torpedoes during the first run? X-Wings only have one slot for torpedoes.)

As embarrassing as it is, we were making the mistake of using Proton Torpedoes repeatedly, instead of discarding them after use. So Luke never should've had a chance for another run. That's one of the risks of writing scenarios for a game you've only owned for a few days.

There is no way for the Rebels to win if they have no proton torpedoes to fire.

The chances of surviving one trench run are not great. If all of the Rebel ships on your first trench run fail to land a hit on the exhaust port, their mission is probably over. The chances of surviving two runs (even with a Y-Wing) are probably very small.

Alex319 wrote:
5. If an Imperial ship with an upgrade on it is destroyed, then the upgrade card can be reassigned to a later reinforcement. Does this also apply to Imperial upgrade cards that are discarded other ways, such as Munitions Failure or firing a single-use weapon?

No, those would be removed from play. I'll add a note about that.

Alex319 wrote:
6. To clarify, since exiting the trench is an action, it takes place during the "perform action" step of the Movement Phase, after movement. So if I want to exit the trench, I have to perform a maneuver that leaves me still inside the trench (otherwise I will get destroyed due to hitting a wall), then exit the trench as my action. Then I can exit the trench area safely on my next turn. Is that correct?

Correct.

Alex319 wrote:
(If so, it seems like this makes it very difficult to get out for another pass after you've fired torpedoes at the exhaust port and failed to destroy the Death Star. The turn after you have fired torpedoes, you have an extremely limited area to maneuver, so it is easy for an opponent to maneuver behind you for a close range shot.)

Yes, and I think this simulates what we see in the movie. From the closest possible firing position, an X-Wing doesn't have enough room to maneuver out of there. That's intentional.

From further out, they do have enough room to slow down on the next turn, use their action to exit the trench, and then make their turn to avoid going out of the play area. But just barely.

Alex319 wrote:
7. This is my biggest question: What is the reasoning behind having the roll that triggers the countdown be tied to when the Imperials get reinforcements? There are several things that seem wrong about that:

- Thematically, it seems to have no justification. Why would Imperial fighters getting destroyed help the Death Star to get into position faster?

This one is more arbitary and game-ist than thematic. It's the nature of the scenario that you need a countdown, but I didn't want to start the countdown right at the beginning of play. I wanted the timer to trigger on an event that 1) the Rebels probably wouldn't be able to avoid, 2) was most likely to happen about midway along the trench run, within 3 or 4 turns of their possibly completing it, and 3) might not happen at all, letting the players fight it out to the end.

I think it adds replay value, along with the other randomized effects. As the classic Star Wars space battle, I didn't want it to be a one-off. It should be different every time you play.

Alex319 wrote:
It creates a weird situation where the Rebels may want to deliberately avoid destroying an Imperial ship if they don't think they are in a good position to take out the Death Star, in order to avoid potentially triggering the countdown.

The chances of triggering are 1 in 8, so I think Rebels will risk it. The alternative is to not shoot back -- and that's unthinkable in this game, really. It's a much better strategy to fight as hard as you ever would and just hope you don't run out of time.

Alex319 wrote:
- It necessitates the rule about the Imperials not getting reinforcements if they are destroyed by something other than "Rebel action." (I assume that's the reason for that rule.) But that can lead to ambiguous situations - let's say that the Rebel hits an Imperial ship in the trench with an ion cannon, and the next turn the Imperial ship hits the wall because he is forced to do the "1 straight" maneuver. Does that count as "Rebel action"?

Great example. Yes, that crash would be the result of Rebel action and there'd be no reinforcement. I'll reword this in the next draft to try to make it clear, and offer a way to settle disputes (flip a coin).

Great questions. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another test done, another Imperial victory. Wedge's proton torpedo shot destroyed the shields on the exhaust port, just 1 hit shy of winning the whole thing. Luke, who had been in line behind Wedge to take the second shot, was destroyed by Vader (with some help from two henchmen), so that was that. No more proton torpedoes.

A successful test, for sure. Everything seemed to work out pretty well, and it could've gone the other way if Wedge had been just a little luckier. Needs a few tweaks, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work on the scenario! I love it! I really want to play it! But...

Reading your playtest description though makes me wonder about how much I'd enjoy playing it more than once? What I mean is that it accurately recreates the fictional events of the insane long shot by Luke (with a little help from friends and the Force). However thinking about a game where I'd spend a bunch of time on trying to get to a point where it all comes down to one insane long shot, and it's decided by a die roll that most of the time I know I'm going to lose, I'm not sure I'd be into that.

It's not unique to this scenario of course, which got me to thinking, "what are the different ways to make a game out of insane against the odds stories?"

I'm sure there's been other games that faced this challenge? Lord of the Rings has the ring quest (but I don't recall the details). I think there are many other "trench run" inspired games. Aliens: This Time it's War managed it by making you slowly lose so the challenge was to control how slowly you lost - it often comes down to the wire, but the last card plays are all dependent on the earlier ones, not an independent die roll.

Thinking out loud here...

Ideally in an X-Wing scenario you'd be doing something through the game that culminated in the highest stakes set of choices, but that were dependent on your earlier success. Also all the choices would be something expressed organically with how the game is normally played or else it's a different game (the trench run game that was also a Dominion style deck builder might be very fun and work great, but grafting that onto an X-ing scenario would not be very satisfying)...

Maybe something where you can "bank" focus while you're in the trench, which you could spend to avoid dying obviously but also to improve your shot? Maybe luke needs a "Use the Force" card that keeps him from using target lock tokens in exchange for banking focus token? That's a fully simple and on the nose but maybe a enough (sure would give a gameplay reason to have Luke more likely to make the winning shot)? Probably not though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
England
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Wow, MOST impressive!!!

Fixed that for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to write a revised version when the Millennium Falcon mini comes out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that I think is missing from the Trench Run missions I've seen written up so far is some form of Shield Manipulation for the rebels.

Gold Five wrote:
Stabilize your rear deflectors... Watch for enemy fighters.

It adds a complication, but I would do something like allowing the Rebels to add an extra shield to any shot that would cross through the rear of their ship's base, but it would mean that they have no shields for any shot through the front of their base. Work the same in reverse when they are running down the trench in the beginning, they can add an extra shield to the front of their ship, but have no shields to the back.

(Sorry. It's the geek in me wanting to get it right. I was actually kind of hoping the rules would account for shield manipulation like Star Warriors from West End or the X-Wing series of computer games from LucasArts...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hentzau wrote:
(Sorry. It's the geek in me wanting to get it right. I was actually kind of hoping the rules would account for shield manipulation like Star Warriors from West End or the X-Wing series of computer games from LucasArts...)

Star Warriors was the epitome of Star Wars Space Battles. It wasn't that complex and did a fantastic job of simulating the movies. I'm not sure how well it would fare in today's market though. X-Wing is so easy and cool that it fits right in with little attention span.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
Reading your playtest description though makes me wonder about how much I'd enjoy playing it more than once?

If you lost, would you want a chance to try again? If you won, would your opponent want a chance for redemption? I figure it'll get at least 2 plays, and probably 3.

You may not be feeling any of the tension of playing the mission, during which you don't know if the Rebels will make the shot, but you know the Imperials are going to do whatever it takes to stop them. There's several rounds of tricky maneuvers and attacking that leads up to the chance to make that shot. Even though it's silly enough, it feels like there a lot at stake. Everything in the mission is leading up to and supporting a successful final shot, but so does every standard dogfight scenario.

In the new version (which should be ready in the next day or two), destroying Imperial ships stops the countdown timer for 1 round. You've only got 6 rounds to work with, and that's just barely enough time for an X-Wing to perform a perfect turn into the trench, haul down there at top speed, and make one shot at the port. Fail that roll, and you lose.

So the Rebels have ways to stretch the timer. Each TIE they destroy adds 1 turn to the count. Destroying power nodes may give extra time. Fighting as hard as you can buys you time, and you're going to need it if that first shot doesn't do the trick.

Wait for the next version. Way better.

adorablerocket wrote:
Maybe something where you can "bank" focus while you're in the trench, which you could spend to avoid dying obviously but also to improve your shot? Maybe luke needs a "Use the Force" card that keeps him from using target lock tokens in exchange for banking focus token? That's a fully simple and on the nose but maybe a enough (sure would give a gameplay reason to have Luke more likely to make the winning shot)? Probably not though...

It doesn't matter to me who makes the shot, or how it's achieved. As much as possible, I still want this scenario to be about player skill v. player skill. It's more about creating conditions where a trench run scenario has stakes, is dynamic and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some ideas for shielding, but I'll post it on the main board.

EDIT: Actually, no, it's not good for the game.

You'd have to do it something like this:

At some point during the round [I'm not sure when], all players can angle their deflector screens. To angle your deflectors, look at your ship card as though it were a top view of your ship, with the nose pointed toward the top. During this [phase, step?] you may move your shield tokens to any side of your ship. Easy.

When targeting, always choose the shortest path to your target, which will determine the side that is struck. In case of corner shots, the targeted ship decides which side is struck.

It sounded cool as I was writing it, but this complicates things enormously. If you only have 3 Shield points on an X-Wing, you're probably screwed in any scenario. Your opponent will know where you're weakest and barrel roll right to it. It makes you easier to kill in this game, just because of the way the movement and targeting works.

So you could try doubling the shield points, but that's house-ruley and requires a mental substitution for a stat on the ship card. I don't like that, and having additional shields is probably a big game-changer.

It's better to keep shields abstract. Faster, cleaner, easier, more effective.

For something like the Millennium Falcon? Heck yeah. Not a little starfighter though...

Interesting. The base of the Slave I in the promo shot has dotted lines for the rear arc. Those might not be production versions, though. The 'turn' symbol on the Falcon's base is interesting, but there's no X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest version:

PDF: http://www.outworld-studio.com/xwing/pdf/Dagobahs-DSTR-v01.p...

Lots of changes, some big, some small. It's worth reading everything again if you've seen earlier drafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
I like the idea of a scenario specific ability for Luke to bank Focus tokens to represent the Force.

Another idea is to borrow from the game scenario and allow wingmen to take a Protect action and give the shooter an Evade token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the protect action idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
Reading your playtest description though makes me wonder about how much I'd enjoy playing it more than once?

If you lost, would you want a chance to try again? If you won, would your opponent want a chance for redemption? I figure it'll get at least 2 plays, and probably 3.

Well... no. Not if I realized that most of the game time had no impact upon the deciding moment.

So long as the deciding shot on the Death Star is one or two low odds die rolls that are at most influenced by the ability the focus or target lock on the turn that the shot happens, then most of the scenario may feel tense but it's kinda immaterial.

It's like the Aliens game. It's set up so that Ripley and the Marines can't win until they reach the Sulaco. So it often comes down to the last few turns and wether the Human player can open the airlock. However to do that the Human player needs to have enough cards in their hand to discard to keep his characters from going out the airlock. Not spending cards earlier on makes it harder to survive far enough to save cards for the airlock. In this way there's choices the while game that impact the final moment. The game would be no where near as good if surviving opening the airlock only depended on a die roll. In some ways it would be more realistic (it's pretty unlikely that a legless Bishop could grab a crate and grab Newt as she slides across the floor) and there's no logical reason that the end event should be influenced by the previous events. It just makes a better game because it engages you from the beginning.

With the new rules update it's clear you're trying to make it possible to survive multiple runs. That'll help my concern because it'll make success dependent on more die rolls, but if each run the Rebels are still likely to lose a ship it's still very similar in the sense that you invest a lot of time and skill into something that comes down to a fixed low odds die roll you can't influence.

Maybe you could allow Rebel pilots in the trench multiple target locks on the exhaust port (Stay on Target)? That way they'd be choosing between increasing their shot odds and survivability all the way to the end of the run.

Also the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of giving Luke some way to uniquely boost his odds (Use the Force). Something like if Luke doesn't target lock let him store up force power for an action. It'd also be fun to have some difference between using the targeting computer and the Force - like the Force is more effective at the end, but is harder to develop.

Anyways I think this kind of scenario development is awesome and I'm not trying to pooh-pooh it in the least. I just think these "that shot was one in a thousand kid" type stories are very tricky to turn into fun games and I applaud the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could certainly make Luke the star of your squad and give him a permanent focus token or something like that. I don't want to dictate squad building decisions, since that's such a cool part of the basic game.

adorablerocket wrote:
Well... no. Not if I realized that most of the game time had no impact upon the deciding moment.

If it were just "move move move move move move SHOOT" then yeah, that'd be boring and pointless. I don't think that's a concern in the latest draft, and it really wasn't true in the earlier drafts, either. I just hadn't found the right balance yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baggett
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi David,

I just played this with the latest rules. Very exciting. The timer was down to one and all I had left was one Y-wing about a '2' straight move from the exhaust port targeting location with a TIE right on his back. The port shields had been depleted by two power node kills with good damage rolls. It came down to one proton torpedo attack with the entire game on the line. 3 hits to one evade. VICTORY!!!

It was tense and very thematic. I would definitely play this mission again.

It will be interesting to see what the sweet spot is for the exhaust port specs. Part of me thinks it should have 3 shield points so it is more difficult to win with one lucky roll when the port is still at full strength, but time will tell...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.