Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered recently as I was preparing for a tournament with many games I didn't know that there are not too many strategy articles on the geek for some games. My objective here is not to provide a detailed analysis of the game, only to give a newbie a very basic outlook of general strategy.

Balloon Cup is a fairly simple game that focuses mainly on tempo. You need to claim 3 of 5 colours to win. The big thing that you should focus on is ensuring that you never spend a turn putting a balloon down on a race that your opponent is going to win. Pick your battles, and whenever possible ensure that you have cards that guarantee a win in your hand before you start playing cards on a race. Lastly, remember the rule that the next turn goes to the loser of a race. That can be very useful if you need to cycle a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I disagree with some of that, although it might depend on whether you are playing with the publisher's rules or the designer's rules. We always play with the designer's rules (or a variant of them), which disallow playing on the other side of a tile until your side is full. That forces more interesting decisions, and often puts you in a position where you have to play the least-bad card in your hand.

Perhaps because of that, I often toss middle-value cards on a losing race, just to get them out of my hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think the variants are what is causing that.

I play mostly on Yucata.de where there is no restriction on which side of the race you may play your card. In that it is a lot more important to always be making a progressive action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.