Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah. Indeed, 70% Isopropyl is what I was referring to.

so usually when I brush paint the formula is:

1/2 water, 1/2 acrylic paint

but lately I have also been using:

1/4 70% Isopropyl, 1/4 water, 1/2 paint

I am also curious as to what miniatures are available there. Here in the US it is tricky and expensive to get anything shipped from Rackham or Infinity. Plus you must have other mini lines that we have not even heard of over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryotsu wrote:
Another great thing to do with acrylics is to make and use a wet palette. This will severely decrease the amount of time that the paint on your palette takes to dry. It's easy and cheap.

Yep, with a wet palette you use considerably less paint and because it doesn't dry out you can go back to previous colours, which saves you even more paint (and speeds up the whole painting process significantly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make a wet palette for practically nothing just do a search on you tube. There are numerous painting guides on the net and specifically you tube. I lam returning to the hobby and using Vallejo paints and some GW ones

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
bluemoono wrote:
You can make a wet palette for practically nothing just do a search on you tube. There are numerous painting guides on the net and specifically you tube. I lam returning to the hobby and using Vallejo paints and some GW ones

Have fun

Just curious - why do you choose to use GW over something like Coat D'arms (which is the old - 1990s - GW paint, but refined and better bottled)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my paints are Vallejo I happened to get some from GW when I was passing by the other week

Going to check out the Coat D'arms paints I've not used those. I like the Vallejo bottles - never liked the GW ones, I used to paint GW minis back in the day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reveil The Warlock
Russia
Gatchina
flag msg tools
hi! I am looking for advice on which paints to buy. Currently I've painted one model with a mix of citadel and valejo gamecolor paints and liked the dropper bottles a lot.
So, I am going to paint my board games like Descent or WoW the board game and play them after. I understand that coating them after painting is a must, but which paints to choose? I am looking at valejo game color or ral partha? Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reveil wrote:
hi! I am looking for advice on which paints to buy. Currently I've painted one model with a mix of citadel and valejo gamecolor paints and liked the dropper bottles a lot.
So, I am going to paint my board games like Descent or WoW the board game and play them after. I understand that coating them after painting is a must, but which paints to choose? I am looking at valejo game color or ral partha? Any advice?

I use Citadel Matte Varnish (spray can) and never had any problems with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the gw spray will protect ans finish your figures off nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reveil The Warlock
Russia
Gatchina
flag msg tools
Yea, varnish is a must, but I am more interested in opinions on paints: valejo GC or Ral Partha?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use mainly Valejo. I have never tried Ral Partha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
So where are you guys buying the Vallejo paint from? It doesn't seem to be available locally (Houston), and the online stores I've come across carry bleh options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Salimo wrote:
So where are you guys buying the Vallejo paint from? It doesn't seem to be available locally (Houston), and the online stores I've come across carry bleh options...

I suppose a shop in AachenGermans and a German online shop will not help you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Live Long and Prospero
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
I've been painting miniatures for over ten years. I use a hardware store bought spray primer and cheap craft acrylics thinned down, with an art store bought gloss or matte finish, and I get just a good a paint job out of that as I ever did from overpriced Brand Name Acrylic paints from GW or elsewhere.

cool

(What the equivalent would be in Germany, I'm not sure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reveil The Warlock
Russia
Gatchina
flag msg tools
It's good, when you'r pro at it. We, begginers, get better results out of branded supplys imo: easyer to choose base-highlight-shadow colors, allways right consistency, more tutorials with precise color names.

I am still looking for opinions on ral partha europe paints in 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again!

A couple of months later and a busy schedule - the project is still going..

To show at least some progress, here is an orc warg rider I did (camera is not that great, sorry about that):

I have had a big sat-back with the lighter shades though. Here are miniatures that I tried to paint orange. They have around 6 layers on them already! And they still have shades of green on them! I used black GW primer and some no-name acrylic paints (ArtCreation brand), un-dilluded. No matter how often I apply the colour I get the same result - as soon as the paint dries out, it "soaks" in the primer and makes out of the orange a greenish brown. What am I doing wrong? Am I using bad paint? Are Citadel, Vallejo etc. that special in terms of coverage? Or should I always prime white/light gray for bright colors?

One mistake I am aware of is that I applied too thick layers and the minss are ruined now. I was experimenting, what I have to do to get the orange to stick... Can the German part of the readers recommend a cheap paint removal agent from Praktiker, Hornbach or OBI? What about a brand one?

Thanks in advance for answering this tsunami of questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
BGOrion wrote:
Hi again!

A couple of months later and a busy schedule - the project is still going..

To show at least some progress, here is an orc warg rider I did (camera is not that great, sorry about that):

I have had a big sat-back with the lighter shades though. Here are miniatures that I tried to paint orange. They have around 6 layers on them already! And they still have shades of green on them! I used black GW primer and some no-name acrylic paints (ArtCreation brand), un-dilluded. No matter how often I apply the colour I get the same result - as soon as the paint dries out, it "soaks" in the primer and makes out of the orange a greenish brown. What am I doing wrong? Am I using bad paint? Are Citadel, Vallejo etc. that special in terms of coverage? Or should I always prime white/light gray for bright colors?

One mistake I am aware of is that I applied too thick layers and the minss are ruined now. I was experimenting, what I have to do to get the orange to stick... Can the German part of the readers recommend a cheap paint removal agent from Praktiker, Hornbach or OBI? What about a brand one?

Thanks in advance for answering this tsunami of questions!

First things first: If you want a (bright) orange look you should use white primer.

Citadel, Vallejo, Foundation, Reaper and so on are special in that sense that they use smaller pigments than other hobby acrylics that are not esp. designed for painting minis. This has some advantages but nothing to do with your problem I guess.

I suppose you just have a bad colour. Try another one.

I cannot help you with a good paint remover for plastic minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
BGOrion wrote:
Am I using bad paint? Are Citadel, Vallejo etc. that special in terms of coverage? Or should I always prime white/light gray for bright colors?

Yes, Yes, but also Yes.

Paints not intended for painting miniatures often don't have so much pigment in and/or have crappy coarse-solids pigment which doesn't cover evenly. Paints intended for painting miniatures are often liquid-pigment or at least fine solids that cover better and more evenly.

That said, oranges and yellows are notorious for not being very opaque, and you'll always get a better result painting over a bright base layer. It doesn't have to be primer - most white acrylics are pretty opaque, you could just paint a layer of white over the area you want to be orange, then paint the orange over that once it's dry.

Also, pay attention to the properties of particular paints. For example, Vallejo needs a lot of shaking, and if you don't mix it well enough it will be less opaque. Citadel used to do a range called 'foundation' which were specifically more opaque than their regular paints, and IIRC included at least a red; they changed their range and I can't remember if they replaced foundation with something similar or just dropped that particular branch of their range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Citadel used to do a range called 'foundation' which were specifically more opaque than their regular paints, and IIRC included at least a red; they changed their range and I can't remember if they replaced foundation with something similar or just dropped that particular branch of their range.

It is now called base and supposed to cover even a black primer with one layer.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.js...

(I have not tried it myself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a pretty easy way to remove paint from minis I did post the youtube video on here before somewhere if not here it is again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE08B6jDt24

well thats a diff vid but same kinda solution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
To remove acrylic paint from a plastic miniature, soak it in brake fluid for a couple of days, then scrub with a stiff brush.

To paint orange, use a cream-coloured undercoat (usually named bone or something like it - I find this gives a much better result than white), and then use paints made specifically for miniatures (I recommend Coat D'Arms).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something called simple green works good at stripping plastic mini's. I am not sure what it is called in other countries. Brake Fluid works great but some people might be turned off by the smell and hazardous nature of the chemical.

I have the complete line of the new series of GW paints and the orange works great. One coat will cover black perfectly fine. I think I have recommended them in 3 threads now but for beginners the GW paint line is the way to go.

Another way to go is to prime the mini white then paint several layers of orange wash over the miniature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I guess I won't be able to avoid spending a nice sum on paints... this is hobby is going to ruin me! I think I am gonna go for Vallejo - don't dry up that fast and can be dosed easily for mixing.

As far as the removal agent goes... I will post what I came up with and how it worked!

Happy gaming!

P.S. Come to think of it, an interesting question: How much can I cover with a single bottle of paint? I am interested in the War of the Ring and Descent (First Edition Base Set + Second Edition) minis. If I buy 10 bottles with the primary colors, what is the chance they'll run out on me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One bottle will last you a while. I have paints bottles I have used for years and I paint all the time. They usually run out if I paint a vehicle, spill them or don't close the lid all the way and they dry out.

Vallejo is a really good brand, be sure to shake them well though every time you use them. With the dropper bottle you have very little chance of them drying out. 1 bottle per color will last you years.

Eventually you will want to get 3 shades of each color. You start with the darker shade as the base coat. then you go to the next darker shade not painting over the recessed areas to creat a shadow, then go over the edges with the lightest shade a highlight. But yes it will cost you money. The rewards are worth it when every ohhs and ahhs over your miniatures and for me it is a very relaxing past time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

Vallejo is a really good brand, be sure to shake them well though every time you use them.

This can't be emphasised enough - Vallejo paints really need their shaking. If you have some to hand, prise the dropper cap off before you first use them and drop a ball bearing in, it'll help mix the paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered some Vallejo paints, around 15 bottles. While I was at the hardware store I also picked up a white primer (already have grey and black) and a matt varnish. Haven't yet decided what to do with the already painted minis I have to strip of paint...

For those of you interested in my progress: Waiting for the paints to arrive made my hands itch and I decided to have another go at painting. This is a figurine (pencil holder) I primered grey last month. I used the old paints. First I basecoated with brown and then put dark red over it. I washed with even darker red and highlighted with blood red. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the hang of this because the contrast washed-based-highlighted is still relatively low. Maybe I should you more contrasting colors? Or maybe I am drybrushing too hard I did the bony parts in light brown and then did them over with ocker. The most interesting thing I was capable of was doing some cascading coloring on the wings The back side of the pencil holder is not ready yet. This is the end result:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.