$10.00
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-reviews-a...?

Conclusion:

The title of the game includes the term "The Movie Game", but this abstract has nearly nothing to do with the movie except for some "art work". Do not count on a thematic game, fighting between people and/or armies, or anything that includes dice rolling. Instead, Beowulf: The Movie Board Game is an abstract game that includes quite a bit of luck (or at least some luck).

When I first read the title, this is not the game I thought I would get. I'll be honest, when I joined this hobby this was one of the first games I bought as it was very, very cheap. When I first joined this hobby, I didn't know what I liked, so I started with cheap games and this was one of them. It took me over three years to get this game to the table. I actually tried once, but it was so abstract that I put it aside. I am not a big fan of abstract games as they just don't call me from across the room, although I have fun when I play them.

Well, I finally got this beast to the table and at the end we wanted to play again. That is a very good sign for a game. This is not a game I would play all the time as I feel its weaknesses would come storming out, but as a game I could play every once in a while or with a big fan of the book (do fans of the movie exist?).

In the end, this is not a great game, but I do enjoy it as a lighter abstract (by lighter I mean quick playing, but with a good portion of luck). I will not purge this game and will keep it for a while. The bits are nice, the rule book is good, but is with a couple of issues, and the game is fun.

I wouldn't run out and pay full price for this game, but I can have fun playing it and that is enough for me.

Components:

The bits for this game are pretty nice. The miniatures are not unique per "team", but they are of good enough mold and add something to the game. A chit or cardboard would have suffice, but the molds are beyond and really help out. The board is nice and used on both sides (for three acts). The tiles are of good stock and have good art work on them (small drawings from the movies). The artwork is not great, but good enough. To be honest, only the numbers and icons on them matter.

Rule Book:

The rule book is decent, but not great. It is a tad difficult to get all the rules down. The game does with a player aid for the icons, but they do not provide all the information needed. If you were been particular about the rules (which most of us are), then the player aid is not helpful. Overall, the rules can be learned while you sit down the play, but at first it will slow the game down. The game is not overly complicated, but the icons do need to be learned.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is simple. On your turn you can do one of two actions: 1. Place a mini on the board or 2. Draw a tile and play a tile.

The minis are how you score points. Each mini has a multiplier of 1-4. The ones with 1 can be reused; the ones with 2-4 can only be used once per game (so they are used in the act and then discarded for the game). You get points at the end of the act for your row and column (points on tiles) times the multiplier on the mini.

As for placing the tiles, the tiles either have a positive or negative number on it and possibly an icon. The positive or negative number is used as said above. The icons are ways to break the rules and are used when you place the tile. When you start the game you have two tiles and before you play one you draw a fresh one (then choose one from the three to play).

When the board is full (tiles and minis), you then score the act. There are 3 acts.

Should I buy this game?

If you are a fan of abstract games and don't mind a little luck, then this is a good game. If you want an abstract game but don't want a total mind bender, this game will do. If you are a huge fan of the game, this MAY appeal to you as it really is a pasted on theme. This is the perfect example of a pasted on theme.

This game, at the present moment, is very cheap. I think for the going price this game is worth it.

For me, this game survives the purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have no idea, apparently. This is the second (third?) theming of this Knizia game. The previous instance was Kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer Kingdoms to this version, because Kingdoms has no tiles that remove other tiles. The tile removal pieces kind of kill the game for me, because it takes a game of chicken and turns it into a game of whack-a-mole. Also, the hold-one-tile mechanic from Kingdoms is better than the refreshing-a-hand-of-two mechanic this one uses. But I don't mind the underlying system, so if you've never played Kingdoms, this game is a reasonable substitute, and is not without its charms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
I actually prefer Kingdoms to this version...

Shoot, I bought this on FFG's holiday sale, and sold my copy of Kingdoms before ever playing this. In fact my copy has been sitting for a couple years still in shrink. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Pintsizepete wrote:

Shoot, I bought this on FFG's holiday sale, and sold my copy of Kingdoms before ever playing this. In fact my copy has been sitting for a couple years still in shrink. soblue

I wouldn't worry about it. Not too many people agree with my opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
You have no idea, apparently. This is the second (third?) theming of this Knizia game. The previous instance was Kingdoms.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense as the game has little to do with Beowulf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
curtc wrote:
Pintsizepete wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. Not too many people agree with my opinions.

Those rules could be easily implemented into this version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game a lot, though I have to agree that the theme is pasted on. At least it's aesthetically pleasing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.