Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Marie
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Dwarf King is a trick-taking game with simple rules and colorful artwork. The main difference between this game and others in the genre is how scoring conditions change every round. In order to win you have to adapt quickly and play your cards at the right time.

In the box you get:

39 Basic cards - These come in three suits.

14 Special cards - Only one is shuffled into the game each round. It is then discarded for another special card in subsequent rounds (one per round).

20 Quest tiles - There are two scoring conditions on each tile. One is chosen for the round and the other is ignored.

Game play:

Round set up:

A quest tile is flipped to show scoring conditions.

One special card is mixed in the deck & cards are dealt.

Typical trick:

The starting player plays any one card.

Other players follow suit if possible, or *dump if they have to.

Player who played highest card in the starting suit wins the trick.

*Dump - If you do not have the suit (color) of the trick (group of played cards) in your hand you may play any card. You can never win a trick when dumping.

*Some special cards can be played instead of dumping and still allow you to win a trick.

The game ends after seven rounds. Just tally up the scores of each player and declare your winner.

Thoughts:

Trick-taking games are an acquired taste . There are those who adore the trick, and those who loathe the very existence of such a simple game mechanic. I am in the former camp so anytime I look at a trick-taking game keep that in mind. Having said that, I feel The Dwarf King might be one of the most unique trick-takers I've ever played. So unique that it could possibly entice a hater and maybe even put off a hardcore trick-taking fan because of the fundamental changes to the rules.

First off is the scoring mechanism. The way to score changes every round so you may want to win tricks at first, but in the next round you may want to lose them. One round you may be trying to win tricks with Dwarfs, the next, Dwarfs will be worth negative points. I love how this game changes scoring conditions each round. I found myself anticipating the beginning of a new round just to flip a new tile. Special cards also add a nice flair to the game and since you only introduce one special card per round they don't skew your tactics too much, they usually just add another scoring opportunity.

There are only three suits in The Dwarf King and while that may sound a bit dull initially you realize that having less suits makes play much more tactical. You're going to have the suit of the trick in hand more often than not so your decision is; do you want to win or lose? In some instances you may even want to force another player to win.

Traditional trick-taking veterans may scoff at how the scoring changes since you have to adapt to a new tactic each round. If you're a hardcore Spades player used to that type of stationary scoring condition you may not be into these "Nuevo trick-taking" games. But I think the way Dwarf King keeps things fresh and exciting will probably be a welcome addition to those who are prone to game burnout.

*"Nuevo trick-taking" is an original phrase copyright holder thecardgamer.com (J/K)

Geeklist:The Card Gamer's reviews
Geeklist 2:The Card Gamers Written Reviews
Blog: The Card Gamer Blog
Twitter: http://twitter.com/thecardgamer
Email: thecardgamer2000@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, good luck finding sleeves for those cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Man, good luck finding sleeves for those cards!

Actually, FFG just came out with "Tarot" size card sleeves which should be the right fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh A
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey man I bought Gosu,Hemlock, and Omen Reign of War based on your Spacedogg Youtube Channel Review. I was thinking of buying this game since I love trick taking games. I will probably purchase this game now. Although I had been considering Tschak, and Little Devils. I already own Dragonheart and it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technicolorville wrote:
Hey man I bought Gosu,Hemlock, and Omen Reign of War based on your Spacedogg Youtube Channel Review. I was thinking of buying this game since I love trick taking games. I will probably purchase this game now. Although I had been considering Tschak, and Little Devils. I already own Dragonheart and it's fun.

I think this game is better than Tschak!, personally, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So unique that it could possibly entice a hater

That's me
Maybe not a full-on hater, but I'm firmly "meh" about traditional trick-taking games. Played a bit of spades and hearts in college, but in the 18 years since then haven't played a single time.

But, I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.