tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Luis Villarig
Spain
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Scenario 3A looks great. However when the exit has been revealed it appears that the overlord can't do anything to win the scenario. Is that right? That looks a little strange. Having in mind that there will still be some unrevealed maps and that there will probably still be search tokens to recolect, heroes will want to continue exploring to get this objectives:

-Find and get the unique object.
-Collect all possible search tokens, even in new unrevealed maps by exploring the ends.

And the only thing that the overlord can do is to use it's will'o'whisps to remove possible paths. After doing that, there is no single thing he can do to prevent heroes from getting the unique object (if on the map) and getting all tokens.

More than that: Pure luck can make scenario inwinnable if all dead ends are replaced without putting the exit. Even it is possible that both the exit and the artifact are not found. I am not sure that is a good thing.

I think this could solve it: When an hero choses to enter that space:
-Instead of forcing the heroes to take an exit, they could choose to not put that tile. That path, however, won't be able to be checked again until next turn.

That way heroes can decide to wait a turn so the path is better, but they will have to have into mind that maybe they won't get a better change if will'o'whisps enter it. That makes the scenario to be always teorically winnable because you could wait an infinite number of turns until you find your way but will'o'whisps will prevent this from happening.

Also, the scenario should end inmediately in this way:

-If the last faced down objective token is removed from the map the scenario ends.

If the exit was revealed, the heroes win. If it wasn't revealed, the heroes lose.

That makes heroes to hurry even if the exit has been revealed. That means they have won (nothing the gm makes will make them to lose) but the gm will use the will'o'whisps to explore the paths so as to make the scenario end soon to prevent players from:
-Taking the unique item.
-Taking search items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
mercastan wrote:
Scenario 3A looks great. However when the exit has been revealed it appears that the overlord can't do anything to win the scenario. Is that right? That looks a little strange. Having in mind that there will still be some unrevealed maps and that there will probably still be search tokens to recolect, heroes will want to continue exploring to get this objectives:

-Find and get the unique object.
-Collect all possible search tokens, even in new unrevealed maps by exploring the ends.

And the only thing that the overlord can do is to use it's will'o'whisps to remove possible paths. After doing that, there is no single thing he can do to prevent heroes from getting the unique object (if on the map) and getting all tokens.

More than that: Pure luck can make scenario inwinnable if all dead ends are replaced without putting the exit. Even it is possible that both the exit and the artifact are not found. I am not sure that is a good thing.

I think this could solve it: When an hero choses to enter that space:
-Instead of forcing the heroes to take an exit, they could choose to not put that tile. That path, however, won't be able to be checked again until next turn.

That way heroes can decide to wait a turn so the path is better, but they will have to have into mind that maybe they won't get a better change if will'o'whisps enter it. That makes the scenario to be always teorically winnable because you could wait an infinite number of turns until you find your way but will'o'whisps will prevent this from happening.

Also, the scenario should end inmediately in this way:

-If the last faced down objective token is removed from the map the scenario ends.

If the exit was revealed, the heroes win. If it wasn't revealed, the heroes lose.

That makes heroes to hurry even if the exit has been revealed. That means they have won (nothing the gm makes will make them to lose) but the gm will use the will'o'whisps to explore the paths so as to make the scenario end soon to prevent players from:
-Taking the unique item.
-Taking search items.

will o wisps always place dead ends, this is intentional to make the map unwinnable for the heroes - thats how the ol wins.
but probably i will change a bit of the stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Luis Villarig
Spain
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:

will o wisps always place dead ends, this is intentional to make the map unwinnable for the heroes - thats how the ol wins.
but probably i will change a bit of the stuff.

Of course, that is all right, no problem with that part, but there are still two problems:

-The ol can just sit and wait and the heroes not have a chance. If when exploring you always have to accept the result, the heroes could lose just because of bad luck when exploring (because you have exhausted all possible paths). That is not very satisfactory. Imagine that you always roll a forest (that is possible because every drawn card is returned inmediately after checking result). Two possible solutions:

+The one I said before: If you don't like the result obtained, you and wait until next turn to check it again.

+Another possible solution in the planning could be in the direction of allowing the drawing player to choose if the card drawn is returned to the box or put back in the deck. That way you still have probabilities but you can discard cards that take you to paths you certainly want to avoid.

-When the heroes have found the exit, the players will always win (that is ok), but also they will always get all search tokens and the unique item if they have been revealed at any time. It is just a question of taking turn after turn. If the graverobber is used, other players could just sit and wait until the graverobber personally kills all the monsters revealed one after one to maximize the gold obtained.

If no mechanic is added to make the heroes hurry, they will of course first go to explore all objectives (so as the will'o'whisps don't make them dead ends) and, when all the possible objectives are no longer there, the heroes can make the best possible way to get all the tokens (search and unique items) and gain any other possible interesting element (like the gold gained by the graverobber) in the best possible way. And that with the ol sitting seeing the players making the perfect play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the map is called fortuna's favor for a certain reason and your scenarios are all intended to may happen. the only thing i might add is that when the exit is placed all other tokens are discarded and replaced by a dead end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Luis Villarig
Spain
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:
the map is called fortuna's favor for a certain reason and your scenarios are all intended to may happen. the only thing i might add is that when the exit is placed all other tokens are discarded and replaced by a dead end.

Ok, I take that into account so I don't make any proposal in that way.

But ummmmm... that still leaves the situation where the exit is found (so the ol can't win) but heros still have all the time they want to finish the scenario (since the ol can't activate the end of the scenario). That is a very rare situation (and certainly not very funny for the ol)... since we are still counting turns, it could be done this way:

At the start of the fifteenth ol turn, the scenario ends (it also ends if all the objective tokens are removed and there is no exit tile and if any hero abandon the map by the exit)

Replace the victory/lose conditions to read:

-If the exit tile was revealed, the heros win (they might or might not have the artifact)
-If the exit tile was not revealed, the overlord wins (again, the heros might or might not have the artifact).

For a little harder scenario, it could be changed this way:
-If any hero abandoned the map by the exit, the heros win.
-In other case, the ol wins.

That would make heros to lose if they spend too much time exploring (and the ol plays some card to delay them) after finding the exit.

Both changes could use your replacement with dead ends when finding the exit, but they don't need it at all. I think I prefer it without that part, because it makes the heros to be able to continue exploring and the ol has still something to do (blocking heros movement to minimize the items they win or in the second case simply to win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lose by default in the 15. turn might be an option to consider to add in as easy defeat condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in your silken tread campaign act2.

Here some comments after play-testing the following quest.

5B Into the Fray
it is our act2 1st quest. So we are using act1 item against OL
act2 monster.

But it is still a cakewalk for the heroes.

Firstly, the OL have no reinforcement in this quest. The heroes can simply take their time and wipe out everything and light the beacon for the widow arrival.

The heroes can easily take out some of the monster in their 1st turn.
The guard are not weak at all. With 11 health 2 sliver dice. They are hard to be slain. They are treated as heroes. I assumes they can attack twice a turn and open door. Even our OL widow have the horn of madness. it is one against 6 guards and 3 heroes in the end.

This quest favor heroes too much in our view.

Our 2nd act2 quest
3B Test of Faith
Encounter 1.

The mechanic to cross over the gap edge is too brutal. Even a hero with 4 attitude can fail and fall. I know it is easier for 2 hero to test might from both side. But i fall on the 1st turn with a attitude of 3 with a re-roll.

The reinforcement of the 2 open group is very strong in blocking the edge if using 4x4 large monster.

Because of these reason - Make us feel that The heroes are better off jumping down themselves on the 1st turn. LOL.

The heroes only suffer a 2 red dice wounds. The heroes may even suffer more wounds while fighting through the encounter to find hidden switch and letting the OL to hoard cards for encounter 2.

After weighting the pro and con, it is very true for the heroes to jump off the edge on the 1st turn. And it seem that it doesn't need any action to bridge the gap. We can keep testing till we drop.

AS for encounter 2. The OL is weaken as the same reason for 0 reinforcement.
But -3 to test to open the secret seem quite tough for the heroes.
And the troll is blocking the relic. SO the heroes have to open secret door, take out the troll and take relic. Else the OL will use blood rage to kill off broodmother and end the quest.

But i am totally fine with encounter 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update! Today I finally finished the hard design work of all pages of the pdf file! It might need a last spellcheck but for now it is ready to be published as a nice complete product of the effords of all my helpers and countless hours of work! Behold, here we go!
The Silken Threads PDF

many thanks for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't download the file. It uses a program with an exe extension and I'm on an iPhone. Normally, I use Ubuntu, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to download this thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the extension is .pdf you probably need adobe - and be sure to have an ad-block to see the correct button next to the fake ones.
also with 69mb i do not recomment this on phone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it seems to be working now. It looks amazing so far.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmb
I only skimmed it, but it looks good.

It might be easy to overlook/forget the flavor text on page 45 since it's located at the same page as an act II quest and not at the start of the Finale quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't wanted to add in 2 extra pages just for that flavor text + correct page count - I hope it is not a big issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rand Althor
msg tools
I think your work is really great. The pdf looks awesome.

I will test the campaign with my friends, and I'll tell you how it works, but it seems pretty amazing.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still need to finish regular campaign but I'm following silken thread development and cheering you You should get paid for all that work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
china viola
Austria
Vienna
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe you can make a Kickstarter project ... ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded and read through.. Page 31 was replaced by page 50.. Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh sorry for that error, here is a fixed file:
The Silken Threads PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
/shoo
mbmbmbmbmb
About Kickstarter: While i like FFG, my guess is doing stuff for Descent "commercially" will get you legal sanctions. Cause in this regards many publishers are ass-suckers. This might happen even if you use your complete own artwork. I thought about extending Descent 1 in the future and dropped the idea quickly cause of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the kickstarter comment was meant as a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
/shoo
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition:

Descent 2 misses Overworld interaction and map exploration as well as "deeper tactics" (see Order/Ready-Action in Descent 1), would be awesome to see D2E community campains offering those 3 things.

About Kickstarter:

I don't see why it should be a joke. If you consider D1E a tactical-dungeon-crawler-RPG-system and D2E a tactical-hack-n-slay-RPG-system, then creating balanced, well written, flavourous adventures/campains is a real challange, a lot of work and a legit thing to do. But while classical RPG-systems allow you to do that, FFG probably rather restricts you. You can see that trend also because D1E-Editor never got the support it could have gotten (it only supports the base game and one expansion) - understandable, they wanna make money themselves. Sad though...

In conclusion: I'd love to see a kickstarter project doing D2E-Campains. Kickstarter/Donationware project. Long live the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a kickstarter project but it would have some legally issues i think.

I have already another campaign in the planning

Tales of Mennara
Introduction: A Visit in Tamalir

Quest 1 - Wayfarer's Bauble
1A - Honor Swords
1B - The Immortals

Quest 2 - Eve of the Ghostmoon
2A - A Glimpse of Dawn
2B - Midnight Haunting

Quest 3 - Inbetween the Realms
3A - Mirror Images
3B - Malfunction

Quest 4 - Old Prophecies Part 1
4A - The Statue of Daqan
4B - The Everliving Engine

Quest 5 - Old Prophecies Part 2
5A - The Fountain of Purity
5B - The Spire of Ruin

Interlude 1 - Maragath's Legacy
Interlude 2 - Korina's Legacy

Finale 1 - The Empyrean Realm
Finale 2 - The Ynfernal Rift
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmb
ionas wrote:
I don't see why it should be a joke.

Because it's probably not realistic for the reasons you have stated yourself.

But maybe I misjudged the comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.