Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb

Background

Ever since my previous foray into Y-Wing ended in a total wipe out, I'd been thinking of bringing the Y-Wing back into the game.

The Y-Wing has strong shield and strong hull. Just that it's attack and agility is bad. Perhaps I can tweak the squad to bring out the strengths and overcome the weaknesses?

Also, I wanted to give Proton Torpedoes another chance.

The Game

Rebel Alliance (120)
Luke Skywalker (28)
Wedge Antillies (29)
+ Proton Torpedoes (4)
Biggs Darklighter (25)
Horton Salm (25)
+ Proton Torpedoes (4)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Galactic Empire (120)
Darth Vader (29)
+ Marksmanship (3)
+ Cluster Missiles (4)
Howlrunner (18)
+ Marksmanship (3)
Mauler Mithel (17)
+ Marksmanship (3)
Backstabber (16)
Winged Gundark (15)
Academy Pilot (12)

My strategy was to launch the Proton Torpedoes as soon as possible. However, I needed target lock to launch the torpedoes. I did not want to get into firing range in the first round, so I executed a left bank 1.

Round 2, I acquired the target locks I needed to launch the torpedoes. But Darth Vader attacked first. This was where another strategy came in. I made use of Biggs' special ability. It says any friendly unit within range 1 of Biggs cannot be targeted if the enemy can target Biggs instead. Cool! I deliberately kept Biggs behind. The intention was to keep it at range 2 or range 3, while the other fighters were nearer. I thought it worked out very well!

Then I launched the torpedoes... Both connected.. but it wasn't impressive.

The next round, we had the typical pile up. The TIEs went in and all movement came to a halt. Many ships were collided with one another. No actions can be performed! The great thing was, even at this range, my opponent still had to attack Biggs if possible. Ha!

Very soon, Biggs suffered heavy damage and I had to pull him away.

Horton had a great synergy between his special ability and the Ion Cannon. At range two, the 3 Attack Dice from Ion Cannon would be allowed re-rolls if there were blank results. Fantastic! I made use of this combo throughout the game!

Luke went on to take down one TIE, while Horton took down another. Four versus four!

I wanted to keep Biggs away, but Darth Vader flew heads on into Biggs and blew it out! Three versus four.

Wedge continued to contribute to damage and took out one TIE. Three versus three.

For the longest time, Darth Vader had a target lock on to Luke, but did not expend or replace it. Finally the Sith Lord maneuvered heads on into Luke's path. He unleashed the Cluster Missiles he had been holding on to the entire game! Luke would had evaded, but two attacks from Cluster Missiles were one too many. Luke was destroyed!

Not giving up, Wedge went on to take down one TIE. Horton again made use of his 360 degrees Ion Cannon to take down Darth Vader! Two versus one!

Wedge and Horton versus a lowly Academy Pilot! Ha! I felt confident, but quickly got into a bad position. Both ships could not get the Academy Pilot into their firing arcs! But I quickly remembered Horton did not require firing arcs! Ion Cannon fire away! One hit! And it was at this point that I realized this was the first hit on the Academy Pilot. Somehow, it had evaded attacks the entire game!

Academy Pilot was the last to attack. It just had Wedge in his firing arc. It had three dice because of range 1, rolled ridiculously well, and took down Wedge! Oh no!! One versus one!

And then we just broke out laughing! The poor Academy Pilot could not maneuver! He had his backside to Horton! Poor chap. Horton just made use of the Ion Cannon and slowly sniped at the Academy Pilot.

Victory for the Rebel Alliance!

Aftermath

Some random thoughts of the game.

Proton Torpedoes are truly sucky! Perhaps there is another way to combo it with other abilities. But at this point, I fail to see how it is worth its 4 points.

Biggs special ability is incredible! Maybe next time, I'll add R2-D2, or another defensive R2 to Biggs. He is like the paladin of MMORPG, the tank who taunts at enemies. Keeping Biggs close to the squadron, but further away from the enemies is great. Keeping Biggs close to Y-Wing is even better! Y-Wing has an agility of 1. Biggs can keep it safe for at least half of the game.

Y-Wing is super! Add Horton's special ability to Ion Cannon. Oh my god. Range 2 attacks become godly! For the later half of the game, my Y-Wing was basically just executing left bank 1, round after round. Because of the 360 degrees Ion Cannon, it doesn't need to line enemies within its firing arc. 3 attack dice plus re-roll blanks, plus focus. Wow.

Great to have discovered nice combos! Looking forward to discovering more!!!

p.s. I tried to add more stuffs to the comic session report this time around. Added speedlines. Also "improved" the explosion (I hope). And added stuffs like different torpedoes and cluster missiles graphics, and Darth Vader's targeting cross hair. Hehe. Tried to add some story and humor as well. Hope it turned out well.

Please share with me what's good, what do you like? And what can be improved upon. Many thanks!

--------------------------
Episode 13 - Rookie's First Run
Episode 15 - Save Garven Dreis
--------------------------
A Geeklist of all my comic-style "stuff"
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Tremblay
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Speechless about your post.

What can be said that gives you the correct amount of credit for such a cool "comic book" X-wing story?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. Loving your session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the reports. What are you using to create them? Photoshop and a lot of edit time. Whatever you're doing they really bring the game to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm a NASPA certified SCRABBLE Director.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspirational session report. I like how you show the movements too. That little looping maneuver really seems to work.

I tested a game with Biggs last night and you are right. X-Wings flying in formation with Biggs in the back really messes with the imperials. The only good strategy is to try to break up the formation with expendable Academy Tie fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW!!! Cedric, that was perfect! Thanks for sharing the report with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Barton
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, keep them coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gael
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost never read session report. Often it's for those you played it and you can't picture it or too long or boring...

Well in your case : WELLDONE
I fell like I am in it. This game is made to do this kind of review. Please keep going!! And I really like your improvement (cross hair, missiles graphics...)

MORE! MORE!

And next challenge, a video report!

Bonne journée.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Davis
United States
Corona
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great battle report 100 points for creativity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Johnson
msg tools
Very nice read. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best session report ever? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just wow. I'm loving these session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jensen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the game before these sessions. Now I'm madly in love. You my friend are a genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bellettini
Italy
Ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaw Drop!!! You are an artist and this game must be awesome! Can't wait the release in may country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie Tsang
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading your session report makes me feel like investing into X-Wing. I find it expensive, but tempting with your regular release of reports
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kampfer wrote:
Reading your session report makes me feel like investing into X-Wing. I find it expensive, but tempting with your regular release of reports

I love these! another great story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your reports are made of pure Awesomium, maxixe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
WEIRD WAR FOR BOLT ACTION
badge
ROBOT TROOPER SAYS LETS KICK IVANS BUTT!
mbmbmbmbmb
best session report i have ever read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are setting an entirely new standard that rates on the Level:

Epic!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bogdasarian
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Agree with you on Proton Torpedoes - for four points, I'm just not feeling them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Very well done. If had been on the fence about the game before, this would surely have pushed me over. What a great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks people for the overwhelming response and your kind words of encouragement! I'm very glad that you guys enjoy the session report. And relieved it turned out well.

Regarding how I made this, I'd briefly discussed it earlier. Comic software to lay the panels and dialogues, photoshop for effects.

This game is great. I keep humming the Star Wars tune all the time! Haha, I'm like a kid. Going "pew pew pew" and "kaboooom" while playing the game! blushblushblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really cool beyond words to describe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow. That was so well done! So many funny moments too. Thank you for taking the time to make and share this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.