Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Am i missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
With the help of all you lovely people, i went ahead and bought ticket to ride Europe after i posted a thread in a forum called 'A newbie lost in a huge yet fantastic world' earlier this year. After 7 games of it i am not in love with it..

The board is beautiful and the pieces and theme perfect! But i just feel i must be missing something.. I play with 3 to 5 players. Usually 4. I think there is meant to be a lot of tension in game play, people blocking people and people building frantically. But with us that is never the case. In fact we happily leave each other well alone and play in silence until the final few builds. There is not a lot to ticket to ride, the route cards that are picked at the start of the game which you can optionally build bare no relevance in my experience to who eventually wins. I can see why its a fantastic entry level game for people who are not avid gamers. Everyone was right to recommend it me but i have to believe my friends and i are doing something wrong.

Yeah i know you get screwed if you don't finish the routes. I just meant you get the option of which ones to keep at the start of the game, sorry that was poor English by me. In my experience whatever you keep and complete doesn't really matter. I have just completed 2 small city to city routes and won the game by completing random tracks. I am playing by the proper rules. People just do not interfere with others in my gang and going by the comments some of you also have experienced this. We rarely pick up more routes during game-play and if we do its never more then 2. Would anyone recommend the Alvin & Dexter Monster Expansion for polite ticket to riders? Or should we just man up?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that style doesn't suit you, then why not play to block people and have more interaction. Both styles can be effective and successful. There is much strategy going on in either case, but obviously more if people are playing aggressively. If people are blocking then there's added to strategy to try and disguise what connections you are attempting. I also didn't understand if you were saying that the tickets don't alter who wins, but if that is your point then your experience is far different from mine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Eastern Pennsylvania Game Society
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give a little more information about how you play?

Is anyone going for extra tickets? Are you finishing the tickets you start with? Are you paying attention to what routes other players are building and taking a route you don't need just to block?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wrote "tickets that you can OPTIONALLY build" You do realize if you DON'T do your tickets, you LOSE points equal to their value, right? That's the tension - man, if I don't get these done, I'm so hosed!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
You wrote "tickets that you can OPTIONALLY build" You do realize if you DON'T do your tickets, you LOSE points equal to their value, right? That's the tension - man, if I don't get these done, I'm so hosed!


That line jumped out at me. too!!! "Optionally"?
And, like someone above alluded to, you can grab more, too!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The USA TTR suffers from a degree of luck that Europe does a good job of fixing.

Make sure you're playing by the right rules and try it again. Perhaps you've got it correct and its not a game for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try the Big Cities variant in the expansion with 5 players. No blood has been spilt when we play it, yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
You wrote "tickets that you can OPTIONALLY build" You do realize if you DON'T do your tickets, you LOSE points equal to their value, right? That's the tension - man, if I don't get these done, I'm so hosed!


Try again and play the game with correct rules! laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most tense game I own. I am desperate to lay my track before someone else blocks me. My heart rate/stress level goes up to a degree that I don't actually enjoy the game much! Tom Vasel had it on his Top Ten Stressful Games list recently too, so it's not just me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a stress-filled game, but I mean that in a good way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your expectations were too high and the game just didn't match it. That is often the issue when players don't like the games they have bought based on the recommendation of others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Sakata
Canada
Port Coquitlam
BC
flag msg tools
I do think that if you don't block each other it tends to become a quiet, rather non-eventful game. That what we found in LOTS of 3-player games. With small number of people each player's routes don't get overlapped much, so fighting over the same track -- which is REALLY fun -- for the sake of tickets doesn't happen much.

My wife hates blocking nor being blocked so me and my daughter got tired of this game quite quickly unfortunately. I wish the original tickets encouraged route overlapping more... (I don't want to buy an expansion to fix the game).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomoska wrote:
I do think that if you don't block each other it tends to become a quiet, rather non-eventful game. That what we found in LOTS of 3-player games. With small number of people each player's routes don't get overlapped much, so fighting over the same track -- which is REALLY fun -- for the sake of tickets doesn't happen much.

My wife hates blocking nor being blocked so me and my daughter got tired of this game quite quickly unfortunately. I wish the original tickets encouraged route overlapping more... (I don't want to buy an expansion to fix the game).


You know with 3p you can't use the double routes, right?

My sole contribution to this thread is just to make sure, you know, that people read the rules...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Sakata
Canada
Port Coquitlam
BC
flag msg tools
aldaryn wrote:
You know with 3p you can't use the double routes, right?

My sole contribution to this thread is just to make sure, you know, that people read the rules...


Yes I know

I used to play Ticket to Ride Online a lot and noticed that TTR USA has more overlapping route/tickets, so even playing against CPUs you naturally get blocked -> which is fun as you have to rethink and reroute.

This natual overlapping didn't happen so much in TTR-Euro Online. Just my observation.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomoska wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
You know with 3p you can't use the double routes, right?

My sole contribution to this thread is just to make sure, you know, that people read the rules...


Yes I know

I used to play Ticket to Ride Online a lot and noticed that TTR USA has more overlapping route/tickets, so even playing against CPUs you naturally get blocked -> which is fun as you have to rethink and reroute.

This natual overlapping didn't happen so much in TTR-Euro Online. Just my observation.


In my experience, the most fighting among the "big" maps happens on the India map (although of course NC and Switzerland max out at 3p and are really tough too). So if you have TTR Europe and think it's not tense enough (but like the game overall), India/Switzerland is a great expansion to get.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Sakata
Canada
Port Coquitlam
BC
flag msg tools
aldaryn wrote:
In my experience, the most fighting among the "big" maps happens on the India map (although of course NC and Switzerland max out at 3p and are really tough too). So if you have TTR Europe and think it's not tense enough (but like the game overall), India/Switzerland is a great expansion to get.


I see. I like TTR Euro map itself, it's pretty and geographically more interesting than the USA map. But because of the ticket distribution reason I stated (and believe) above, 3 player game quite often takes place in 3 separate regions -- like Each players build their main tracks in West/North/Eastern Europe. This is not so thrilling.

Fogot to mention, the reason my wife doesn't like blocking is that it wastes trains therefore ruins the fun of competing for the longest track prize. I do agree here that using trains for sore blocking isn't really elegant game play. Using my train to build my own track AND steal other player's vital section at the same time is the best scenario. To do that, overlapping tickets would be desired.

I tried variants I found in this forum (no long route ticket and such) and didn't really find different overlap-wise. The only solution would be buying the expansion tickets I guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomoska wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
In my experience, the most fighting among the "big" maps happens on the India map (although of course NC and Switzerland max out at 3p and are really tough too). So if you have TTR Europe and think it's not tense enough (but like the game overall), India/Switzerland is a great expansion to get.


I see. I like TTR Euro map itself, it's pretty and geographically more interesting than the USA map. But because of the ticket distribution reason I stated (and believe) above, 3 player game quite often takes place in 3 separate regions -- like Each players build their main tracks in West/North/Eastern Europe. This is not so thrilling.

Fogot to mention, the reason my wife doesn't like blocking is that it wastes trains therefore ruins the fun of competing for the longest track prize. I do agree here that using trains for sore blocking isn't really elegant game play. Using my train to build my own track AND steal other player's vital section at the same time is the best scenario. To do that, overlapping tickets would be desired.

I tried variants I found in this forum (no long route ticket and such) and didn't really find different overlap-wise. The only solution would be buying the expansion tickets I guess.


You could also just print-and-play. Not saying you should "steal" expansion tickets, but you could make your own custom set of tickets quite easily.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Sakata
Canada
Port Coquitlam
BC
flag msg tools
aldaryn wrote:
You could also just print-and-play. Not saying you should "steal" expansion tickets, but you could make your own custom set of tickets quite easily.


Haha, maybe
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomoska wrote:
Forgot to mention, the reason my wife doesn't like blocking is that it wastes trains therefore ruins the fun of competing for the longest track prize.

Um, I think it actually adds to the tension of the game - can you pull it off by doing both... i.e. block and go for the Big One?? Personally, I would rather race-to-win, but I can see where blocking can also play a role; and I like the fact that the game does not force me to choose a strategy (as it might well do if lots of the routes overlapped). I assume, of course, that you do not feel obliged to follow her strategy?

I think its also important to bear in mind that the game is aimed at very broad audience - for example, trying to wean people off of the tedium that is Monopoly and show them that board games can actually be ...fun?! As a gamer, if you want the option for more intense competition in your games, you have access to hundreds of titles that will suit that style of play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.