$10.00
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by Julian Delphiki's recent creations: the Gelatinous Cube, Mimic and Ol' Rusty I have decided to try my hand at helping expand the critterverse of D:JitD-2e.

I've got a few miniatures lying in box in my spare room upstairs; most of which have not seen the light of day for a decade or more. So I have had a rummage and the first beastie I would like to come out of retirement and enter the fray is one I've always had a soft spot for ... the Chimera (produced by Grenadier, cast in 1983).

This Chimera is your classic beast of Greek mythology... Lion's body/head, Goat's head, Snake tail deal.
It has a nasty bite, can give you a good bunt, a poison nip in the tail and can on occasion breath fire.

"a thing of immortal make, not human, lion-fronted and snake behind, a goat in the middle, and snorting out the breath of the terrible flame of bright fire"
- Homer

It's 1 x 2 in size (my figurine is about the size of a Barghest), with a low group limit due to it's tenacity.
He's reasonably powerful, but I don't think too so ... I mean, it took Bellerophon to take out the original, and that was no simple task.

I've not had to devise new abilities for this one, as existing ones that fit the jig are in the basic set.

Anyway, feel free anyone to put in your 2 cents .. all constructive comments appreciated

I drew the Chimera pic on my wacom based on a few animal photos I perused, to avoid any (c) issues; apologies if it's a bit placid looking (he's resting up after a hard day mauling wayward adventurers).

Oh yes, and many thanks to crackbone, creator of the monster template. Good work there!

Edits: Poison ability now added to card backs.
New Chimera artwork added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

Don't really know if it's balanced or not.
It seems fast (4 squares plus the squeezing trick of large figures).
It surely has a tough hide but not really sky-high in health.
It has many surge usages, which is fun for the Overlord and they all really makes sense (lion's jaws added damage, goat headbutt and snake's poison).

A sound monster and one of my favorites if it ever hit the shelves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Pain

Painkeeper wrote:
It seems fast (4 squares plus the squeezing trick of large figures).

Yeah, I was envisaging it getting about the place at a reasonable rate. It has that lean Barghestesque look, so I thought 4 would be suitable. Gotta keep those treasure trawling lads on their toes!

And I certainly agree with Peristarkawan's statements on large monster movement...

(Thread... So many questions... ¯\(o.o)/¯)

...which avoids (incorrectly played IMHO) expandy large monster super moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unsurprisingly, Peristarkawan's statement about uninterrupted movement of large figures is what I applied by guts.

When the figure expands it has to do something (or something must be done to it :]).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other large monsters with a speed of 4:
- Wendigo
- Naga
- Manticore
- Ice Wryn (a very large monster)
- Hell Hound (speed 5!)
- Blood Ape
- Bane Spider
- Barghest
- Elemental

And since it's loosely based on the Barghest (which has a Speed 4), I don't see its speed as a big deal.

On a technical note, there is no mention of Poison on the back of the card, breaking the standard "all abilities are on the card" philosophy of Descent.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
On a technical note, there is no mention of Poison on the back of the card, breaking the standard "all abilities are on the card" philosophy of Descent.

Indeed, indeed. I did notice that after posting ... I shall tweak that in the near future. My bad. blush

Edit: Poison now added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Delphiki
United States
Hampstead
MD
flag msg tools
Fantastic mingsling! Glad to inspire, particularly a creature favorite of mine. I had an undead one back in my dnd days that I used to my character ride upon, ah the good ole' days. I will definitely be sleeving this guy once everyone takes their swing at looking it over. But I think it looks pretty spot on already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juliandelphiki wrote:
mingsling!

That's MiNKSLiNG! ...but I'll let it slide ...this time.

Yes indeed, the good old DnD days, ha ha. I didn't have a rideable undead chimera, but I did have a fighter with a heavy-armoured battle rat (just a normal rat really, strapped into a custom set of full plate), with a lance mounted on his back (albeit a small one) ... He did 1pt of damage on a good day. Unfortunately that good day turned out to be his last day; crushed underfoot as our party charged it to take out a troublesome bugbear (the 1pt was from his lance piercing the heel of our dwarf who'd failed his perception check). A good day, but a tragic one. cry

BTW ... glad you like the beast. Time for a rummage in the box to see what's next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be nice, once the monster card is fine tuned, to post a file (with some notes, like the size of the thing) in the files section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice, once the monster card is fine tuned, to post a file (with some notes, like the size of the thing) in the files section?

I'll see what I can do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only comment would be that the Chimera seems very bored! The artwork is good but adding a snarl to the faces might help make it seem a little more threatening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:
My only comment would be that the Chimera seems very bored! The artwork is good but adding a snarl to the faces might help make it seem a little more threatening.

This a bit more to your liking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
Robin wrote:

I'll see what I can do

I have now got the Chimera in the files area as a pdf...

D:JitD 2e - Monster: Chimera.pdf

This was submitted before the artwork change.

I shall be uploading a file with the updated Chimera art soon (plus a couple of text tweaks)

Edit: Updated file submitted, hopefully accepted shortly.
Edit: Updated file now available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimera monster tokens, for those who don't have miniatures available.
Will be added to file DL shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.