Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939» Forums » General

Subject: Playing Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can this game really be played in 30 minutes? Does that include set up? If so, how do you think a teenager would do with this one? The short playing time is ideal for my high school game club. I'd love to get a few of them off of MtG and over to the dark side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be able to play a smaller scenario in 30 minutes, but I would say that in no way does that include set up.

I think this could work as it is not complex and has many, many scenarios of various sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you know the rules, a one-day scenario will play out in about an hour, including setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup is quick because all the setup hexes are color-coded on the map. The smallest scenarios use a very small number of units which also helps with setup times. I wouldn't recommend the smallest scenarios for competetive play, but they can still be fun as a sort of puzzle (how can each side win this battle?), or as a learning excercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S0laris
Italy
Rome
Lazio
flag msg tools
might be worth pointing out that you will really miss all the added flavor and nuances of the system (a design that i personally really find one of the best surprises of this year for me, so yeah, im biased ) by focusing mainly on the quick&small scenarios. the more the players are forced to endure the consequences of theyr choices in the previous days, the more options will start to emerge for the different sides. shows how much care and balancing went in the design, really. that said, the short scenarios can provide a considerably quick and balanced game mainly focused on the competitive aspect of the outcomes. for me, only the longer and bigger scenarios do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Wegner
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just the tutorial can be played in 30 minutes and just if you are an experienced player (somehow that is a contradiction).
For a normal 6-7 turn (one day scenario) you should plan about 3 hours as a newbie (excluding build up time of 30 min. or so).
Since the game relly just displays one battle, the scenarios are somewhat hollow. This setback has on the plusside that the campaign game has realy it´s own tactical quality. It´s a game of manover which awards fresh thinking and some daring(and so provides a tactical learning curve). You should not buy it, when you are constantly under a time constrain because the campaign game is surely the real thing.
So I call this gamesystem by my self the: "Astonishing meaningfull grant tactical battles series" or in short "AMGTBS".
Hopefully this title is chosen.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like this game may be running longer that a teenager's attention span. Are there any other hew and counter games out there that have scenarios which play in an hour or less? The plan is to hook the kids then move them up slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Lock 'N Load is the system for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S0laris
Italy
Rome
Lazio
flag msg tools
id reccommend any Victory Point Games then. very easy and straightforward rules for 99% of them, while still mantaining a somewhat solid "wargame" feel. the Lock n Load system is REALLY great in my opinion, but if you want to "gently" ease the kids into wargaming, then i recommend you keep LnL for the NEXT step. (its not a hard system, mind you. just more nuances and layers rule-wise, specially considering the audience...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
s0laris30 wrote:
id reccommend any Victory Point Games then. very easy and straightforward rules for 99% of them, while still mantaining a somewhat solid "wargame" feel. the Lock n Load system is REALLY great in my opinion, but if you want to "gently" ease the kids into wargaming, then i recommend you keep LnL for the NEXT step. (its not a hard system, mind you. just more nuances and layers rule-wise, specially considering the audience...)

Agreed. Go with Victory Point Games. My first time ever playing The Arduous Beginning with another first time player took maybe an hour and 15 minutes. Fun, simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is ten years old and he immediately loved Battle for Moscow Battle for Moscow (second edition), feels like a real wargame and plays super fast.

I finished the Red Winter tutorial in about 40 minutes but I think it is a hair too complex for a new wargamer. Red Winter I think is a beautiful clean design that is rightfully appreciated by us veteran wargamers for being so well polished, but it builds on previous wargames knowledge imho and is best as a second game for a novice rather than a first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've successfully introduced middle school students to both Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 and Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. (I particularly recommend the latter.) They took one look at them and said, "That looks just like Call of Duty!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
I've successfully introduced middle school students to both Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 and Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. (I particularly recommend the latter.) They took one look at them and said, "That looks just like Call of Duty!"
I second the Band of Brothers recommendation. Great game and many of the included 18 scenarios can be played in about an hour. More importantly, it is a very well designed game that captures WWII squad tactics with a fairly short, easy to learn rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.