Subject: Visions of the new expansion haunted the game.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Friday 28/09/12 I introduced 5 players to the game. So there were 6 of us and there was some concern there were no counters and no board.

We played the US rules with tokens.

The game started predictably with no one wanting anyone to win any duels, particularly no one was letting me win, and just by the nature of how people voted there were a lot of draws.

No one was letting me see their order cards. I was losing each fight. I only saw one order card in the game (other than my own) and instead was using swaps from people who had seen more order cards. People to my right and left wouldn't trade with me, and one had seen my order.

By 45 minutes I'd confidently worked out who my partners were, as we were swapping items and had 2 of ours and the 3 of theirs. The person whose order card I'd seen was the other lot and she was hardly trading, but did swap items with her team. I didn't want to lose any more duels and lose valuable items, as I had a defensive occupation and item so I wasn't attacking anymore and flagged confirming what I knew already.

By this stage I usually had a bag and 2-4 winning items which I was trading freely to my partners as we worked out who had what.

One player in their side who hadn't seen any order cards other than his and the player to my left grumbled 'it's like there's a traitor'. I made some comment 'it can be like that', while glaring at the enemy over the table from me, who I was sure had no idea what was going on. I resisted another crash course in how it works for her benefit.

We had piles of healthy luggage and they had 4 items between them.

They had recorganised the luggage so our item was low in the pile.... finally the last item was drawn, we had 5 items, 2 bags and we were ready.

I announced victory.

Except my two players were not on my team- and they knew it. My partners were John and my left neighbour. John didn't know who exactly was on his team but he knew the fab 2 I'd been working with weren't, and the player to my left was.

No one knew who their full team was. This is further proof I have hidden talents as a game explainer; I take game teaching to the Twilight Zone, frequently.

Today I read about the new expansion at Essen this year.

I'd been inadvertently playing an unknown playtest version of Die dunkle Prophezeiung!!! And I was the traitor.

The thing was though - I gave away my spare copy to John that night and would have been able to get rid of 2 others had I had them.

The general consensus was 'Great game!!!' I was still cringing but it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pickering
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

No one knew who their full team was. This is further proof I have hidden talents as a game explainer; I take game teaching to the Twilight Zone, frequently.

The general consensus was 'Great game!!!' I was still cringing but it was fun.

As long as it's a great game and everyone had fun that's the main thing!

And anyway it's not uncommon for me to have no idea who is on my team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.