Mansions of Madness: The Yellow Sign» Forums » General

Subject: The King's Court? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
What the heck is the "King's Court"? Who's in it? What role will they play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's you. You are the king's court. Now go, bring forth the Tattered One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
To give a more useful answer: You can see one of the four King's Court cards on FFG's website here. King's Court cards represent four of the characters from the play "The Court of Carcosa", and they are given to investigators to represent the investigators being drawn into these roles as the maddening play's influence takes hold of them.

Each King's Court provides three effects:

1) A passive penalty (in the case of the Pale Priest, a -1 Luck penalty).

2) Immunity to damage from cultists, as your fellow actors will not hurt you while you have taken up the mantle of one of the characters. This immunity to damage applies to both attacks and evade tests. Be warned, though - even though cultists cannot damage you, they can still attack you. You won't take health damage from those attacks, but the cultists can still give you horror, stun you, summon a Shoggoth on top of you...

3) A unique Keeper Action effect that allows you to briefly be taken over and used to serve the ends of the King in Yellow. Using this Keeper Action discards the King's Court card, though - after obeying the king's call, you're able to snap free of your character role. (But for how long?)

Overall, being a member of the King's Court isn't so bad, really. That passive penalty won't kill you, and being able to go among the other actors as brothers is nice. And as for the extra Keeper Action, well, so much the better if we are able to better serve the ends of the Tattered King. May he reign over this world forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Uh... reign over... what?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
There is no need to be afraid. The scolloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, you're starting to make me a little uncomfortable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I get the feeling you like playing the Keeper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McTeague
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wait, we're starting? Crap! I can't find my lines! Maybe they're this way? *runs off to the east*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Is there something going on in this house I should know about, Mr. Glen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
To say that Lola Hayes was nervous about this "Court of Carcosa" thing would be an understatement. She had barely even read the script, but just from the casual glance she had gotten, it was enough to give her these wierd dreams. And the fact that she had arrived late for dress rehearsal? Still, something was going on, as her predecessor for the role of "the Bard" was more than a little... off, after that fiasco at the Arkham playhouse. As she entered Julian Glen's home with this group of understudies (who she had never recalled even that strangely scatterbrained Julian mentioning), she couldn't help but feel an odd sense of ominous dread. The fact that there were even now strange noises from the house that she was pretty sure matched the sound effects in the script did not put her at ease...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Davenport42 wrote:
Is there something going on in this house I should know about, Mr. Glen?
the landlord asked Julian Glen. "Because I keep getting calls from the police about that play of yours. Apparently, a few folks are commenting about how it's put relatives of theirs in the asylum?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ummm... did I just kill this topic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Davenport42 wrote:

Because I thought we were starting to tell some sort of story...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Davenport42 wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:

At the time, Daniel Davenport felt he had been extremely lucky to land the role of the "understudy to the Pale Priest", then the role of the Pale Priest, after the previous guy had a nervous breakdown. But ever since reading the script, he had been having second thoughts. And third thoughts. And several thoughts after that. Why did some of the words seem to shift on the page? Why was he hearing some rumors about the play that made him so... uncomfortable...? And why did he sometimes feel like he WAS, in fact, the Pale Priest himself? As he noted a few folks entering Mr. Glen's mansion, he prepared himself for his first scene...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Davenport42 wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:

At the time, Daniel Davenport felt he had been extremely lucky to land the role of the "understudy to the Pale Priest", then the role of the Pale Priest, after the previous guy had a nervous breakdown. But ever since reading the script, he had been having second thoughts. And third thoughts. And several thoughts after that. Why did some of the words seem to shift on the page? Why was he hearing some rumors about the play that made him so... uncomfortable...? And why did he sometimes feel like he WAS, in fact, the Pale Priest himself? As he noted a few folks entering Mr. Glen's mansion, he prepared himself for his first scene...

Taking on a pious expression, he spoke to the one playing the Scarlet Soldier: "Might I request your opinions of our great King in Yellow, sir?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Davenport42 wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:
Davenport42 wrote:

Taking on a pious expression, he spoke to the one playing the Scarlet Soldier: "Might I request your opinions of our great King in Yellow, sir?"

Time seemed to slow down as the man (or woman, depending on whoever responds to this) prepared his line. Why did it seem that way? He mentally chuckled, knowing that he did represent the works of certain powers in Carcosa. And then Daniel stopped. There it was again. He thought he was the Pale Priest himself, AGAIN! He shook his head, as time got back to normal. He cleared a few cobwebs out, then looked back, to hear the man (or woman)'s line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iammars wrote:
Wait, we're starting? Crap! I can't find my lines! Maybe they're this way? *runs off to the east*

Shouldn't that be *exit, Stage Left.*?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.