Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay

In Dungeon Heroes one player lays tiles in a dungeon, while the other player controls four heroes that move around the dungeon searching for treasure. Each hero (Wizard, Warrior, Cleric, Rogue) has a unique ability such as revealing tiles or disarming traps. The heroes are represented by different dice that also represent their hit points (D4 for the wizard, D10 for the Warrior, etc.)

The dungeon master lays several tiles face-down on their turn, usually trying to get in the heroes' way or block off a treasure tile with traps and monsters. Since the hero player can only move or reveal a few tiles a turn, the dungeon layout is quickly fleshed out as the heroes try to navigate the dungeon to find the treasure.

Once all the dungeon tiles are placed the dungeon master gets to turn the monster tiles into monster tokens they can move around and attack heroes. This means it's very important for the heroes to be aggressive and try to kill as many monsters as they can during the tile-laying phase. The warrior is the only hero that can kill monsters so you don't want six monsters to come alive and start chasing your heroes around!

Opinions

I played this game with my girlfriend. She likes Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities and *hates* Dungeons & Dragons (she didn't know what a Rogue was!!!!) Anyways she picked up Dungeon Heroes fast, didn't get frustrated, and definitely liked it! We played four games and she wanted to play more. I think we'll be playing it again soon.

She won every game (though several were really close). The game has a good amount of strategy for a short, light game, and I don't feel like I've got it "solved" yet. You might be tempted to spend half your actions a turn using the wizard to reveal tiles, but then you're not killing monsters or getting items. The game seems well balanced towards one side or the other, but of course with any asymmetric game you're going to have people saying something is too good on one side, then the other guy saying something is too good on the other side.

The game really feels like a dungeon crawl or roguelike game. You have limited resources and abilities and have to conquer the dungeon or die. I thought maybe the dungeon master laying tiles every turn would make the dungeon feel too amorphic, but the dungeon definitely seemed to have a different personality every game and felt like a "place" instead of a bunch of dungeon tiles running to get you (if that makes sense!). I mean, it's a light game so there's only so many ways each game can be different after a while, though having two sides to play as adds a lot to replayability.

Overall this is exactly what I want from a light strategy game, and it definitely lives up to its slogan of "Your lunch break dungeon crawl".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Brett... have had similar experiences and have enjoyed the game very much so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the review Brett! I'm really glad to hear you had such a good time playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Mahwah
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to seeing more. All these reviews are getting me psyched for the Kickstarter to begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.