Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed by this expansion as there didn't seem to be much incentive to build into the center of the maps. A player crushed us by only connecting to a few differently colored cities near the edge of the maps, and connecting those cities to the warp twice. That allowed him to jump in and out of each maps, and easily make as many hops as he needed to end up at the right colored city.

The bonuses for completing certain lines weren't enough to counteract this. This soured me on this expansion, but I'd like to give it another chance.

I was thinking of making a house rule that you could only connect a city to the warp once. Any thoughts on this?

Has anyone else found this expansion to be lacking, and have you implemented any house rules of your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the other maps, the best way to score is long deliveries.
You can setup these long deliveries much more efficiently with strings of multiple cities per map, rather than in and out again from the same city. In other words, 1 build per city you add to your network rather than 2 builds is better. Sure, in and out is useful and flexible but not nearly as great as in, across the map, and back out.

I do agree that focusing on timelines does not seem to be a winning strategy. The ability to quickly connect cubes from anywhere into your network makes big delivery setups consistently powerful. So I guess I agree with part of what you are saying (big deliveries wins vs timelines), I just disagree that hanging to the map edges is great and I'm not dissapointed with how the game plays.

My dissapointment is the lack of Baron cards. I love the suspense of revealing them at the end of a close game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I've thought for a while now that the number of available link into each map is too high. It should cost more to get into a map and it should be worth your while to be the first to do so. For example, Egypt would be a much more interesting map if none of the time warp hexes on the right and left side existed. You could only warp in from southern part of the board. Makes it take effort to get to Cairo, and its redness.

Similarly the Ole West map would be better if only the warp tiles near San Fran and Salt Lake City existed (plus a few extra along the northern edge. That map has lots of colored cities and that change would make it harder to get to them.

Of course this assumes that while you are eliminating warp tiles that you are making sure only certain colored cities are close to the new warp clusters. That way it is more difficult to make crazy time jumps.

Alternatively, create a second set of engine cards, called warp engine cards. You do not start the game with one and without one you cannot warp. The first level warp costs $5000 and allows you to warp once during a delivery. The second level costs $5000, third and fourth level $10000, etc. (So if you have a second set of engines you can use those for this purpose.) Time travel should have some meaningful costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
Like the other maps, the best way to score is long deliveries.
You can setup these long deliveries much more efficiently with strings of multiple cities per map, rather than in and out again from the same city. In other words, 1 build per city you add to your network rather than 2 builds is better. Sure, in and out is useful and flexible but not nearly as great as in, across the map, and back out.

I do agree that focusing on timelines does not seem to be a winning strategy. The ability to quickly connect cubes from anywhere into your network makes big delivery setups consistently powerful. So I guess I agree with part of what you are saying (big deliveries wins vs timelines), I just disagree that hanging to the map edges is great and I'm not dissapointed with how the game plays.

My dissapointment is the lack of Baron cards. I love the suspense of revealing them at the end of a close game.

^^^ This.

No Barons bugs me.

It's less actions and money to build within a board then to constantly use the warp. To do a three link delivery where each city is on a different board is 4 actions to build the track, and would be +4000 for the connections to the warp. compare that to just 2 actions to build 2 links between the three cities.

I won handily in a 5 player game of this last weekend. most every player spent time jumping through the boards. 80% of my links were on 1 board, and the rest on only 2 other boards.

That being said my enjoyment of this expansion really depends on the players. much more so then regular expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.