Subject: Trouble getting started: movement & wind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Battleline version but have been having problems getting started. In the double hexagon diagram for movement in a given direction, what exactly is the rationale I use to fill in the blanks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should think of the wind in the game as blowing along the grain of the hexagons in parallel. As if you had a wind direction counter in every line of hexes along a map edge and all pointing the same direction. When I play I usually place the wind direction marker on the map near the action so it's easier to see relative to the ships.

The wind comes at your ship at a certain angle relative to the facing of the ship, one of the 4 basic directions listed below:

From directly behind (B)
From directly ahead (D)
60° from dead ahead, left/right (C)
60° from dead behind, left/right (A)

The wind comes at the ship's bow and stern halves from exactly the same angle. If the bow is at attitude A, so is the stern, therefore the whole ship is in attitude A.

The ship moves fastest (has the most movement points available) with the wind from 60° off the stern - attitude A. Next fastest is with the wind from directly behind (B). The premise is the the after most sails block some wind from the sails ahead of them when the wind is from right behind; while off to one side, all the sails get the wind, so the ship is faster.

With the wind from ahead, there's a balance between how much the wind pushes the ship forward and how much its also pushing the ship back - the closer the wind gets to dead-ahead, the more the balance leans toward pushing the ship back. The hex-grid simplifies this a lot, a whole lot, and narrows it down to two options; 60° off the wind (C), and the wind right in your face (D). No sailing vessels can sail right into the eye of the wind, so attitude D is 0 movement points.

At attitude C the wind is hitting the sails at just enough of an angle to create forward movement. Countering that is the wind hitting and pushing on everything else on the ship creating backward, or downwind movement. The waves, which are caused by the wind, are also striking the ship and working against it's forward motion. All of this makes attitude C the slowest point of sailing in this game.

Was that what you were looking for, or was it about using those movement points and moving the ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was about determing the numbers themselves that are movement allowances. I grew aboard sailing ships and so know what they're trying to represent. The difficulty is figuring out how to determine the actual movement alloance.

Say the ship is rated 3 or 4 for movement, what would be the numbers in each instance and how do I know?

EDIT:
I see 4 numbers but 6 directions from each hex. What about the other two?

re-EDIT:
Re-read and your post does address it. The numbers are the same. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have the AH version, and hoping it's similar enough to Battleline's, I'll go ahead with this description.
It sounds like you've got the idea of the wind's attitude, represented by the letters A - D. You find the direction from which the wind is hitting your ship to determine the wind's attitude.
When you're setting up the ship's stats, look at the ship's counter for the the 2 speed numbers, such as 3-5, 4-7. These are battle sail speed, and full sail speed. IN the rules find the numbers for these speeds at each attitude (AH's version has the battle sail speeds in the basic rules, movement notation, and the full sail speeds in the advanced rules (both in diagrams)).
The speed given on the ship's counter is the ship's speed at the best attitude, A.
For the ship's speed the corresponding attitude speeds are;

speed 3
A - 3
B - 2
C - 1
D - 0

speed 4
A - 4
B - 3
C - 1
D - 0

These are the numbers you write onto the ship's data sheet.
The full sail speeds would go into the brackets beside the battle sail speeds.

To use these when it comes time to move, see what the wind's attitude is at the start of the turn. The corresponding speed value is the number of mfs you can spend that turn. There are a few things that will change that, which you will find later in the rules, and which one of us can help you with if necessary.
I think/hope this is what you were looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I'd thought the above was all I needed and then started trying to go through the sample game where I ran into problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.