$10.00
Mr. Kickerz
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I am aware that there are some Event cards that work based on "Leadership strength". It seems however that Leaders are less valuable than a regular army unit. They both the chance to roll, (the regular unit can always be rolled in an army of 5 or less) while the Leader only gets to re-roll for initially missed dice throws. However, the regular unit gets to absorb a "hit" while a leader does not. Especially for non retreat into Fortress Stronghold battles, the regular unit always seems move valuable. Am I missing some major insight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
It sounds like you've properly considered most of the pros and cons of leaders vs regular units. The one thing I'd add is that having at least one leader lets an army move on a character die in addition to an army die, so leaders can improve an army's mobility in addition to adding a die roll.

Still though, I think leaders are best used to make your army stronger after it has at least 5 units. This can be especially important when defending a stronghold because you can only have 5 regulars/elites in the stronghold but any number of additional leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Kickerz
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Wow... Ok that is two things I did not realize. I thought I could only move on character action die if I had a companion in the army. I did not realize I could use the Character action die to move an army if I only had a leader and non a companion in it!

I also did not realize that Leaders did not "fill up" the stronghold. I thought it was 5 units max! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kickerz wrote:
I thought it was 5 units max!

It is. Leaders and Characters aren't units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.