$10.00
Matt Zymet
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Played the HoF expansion recently as keeper and noticed something that seemed to contradict the thematic effect of the Lost Souls game element.

My reading of the two keeper cards that come with this expansion seems to indicate that, if you have enough threat, you can keep spawning (with "Breaking Character" card) a witch or cultist from each revealed Lost Soul card -- one additional witch or cultist per card per round, such that you can have several in play spawned from the same card.

Add to that the "Fourth Wall" keeper action, and you can leave a trail of multiple witches/cultists as you move the Lost Soul cards between rooms from round to round.

The upshot is that each Lost Soul card is a mobile monster-spawning machine, potentially leaving multiple monsters in its wake as it moves -- from what I can tell, these witches/cultists behave normally/can move normally (via Command Minion card) after they're spawned -- with the exception of evaporating after they attack.

Reading through the materials with this expansion, it just feels like these are supposed to be film-trapped spirits meant to materialize, attack, and then disappear as with the pop of a projector bulb -- not linger, as material monsters, free to move normally in search of prey... plus the idea of multiple monsters spawning from the same card defeats the feeling that these are each individual "lost souls" trapped in the film (or something along those lines)... plus if i can spawn a monster from each card each round, that can then move normally via Command Minion, why bother moving the Lost Soul cards from room to room? (ok -- horror check, sure.) Buy seems like you should just lock them down once revealed and churn out rabid packs of witches/cultists.

Did I totally read these rules incorrectly? Or do I have it right and have just been driven too mad to see reality for what it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The monsters are basically there to provide a simple mechanical way for the Lost Souls to attack.

If you assume that triggering an evade test counts as an attack for the purpose of evaporating - and it's already been ruled that it does for purposes like stun and Cult Robes, so that's likely - then those multiple monsters aren't so scary because they can only attack once each. It's not Threat-efficient to create an army of them and have them march around the board, only for them to implode the moment they try to do anything.

If it bothers you, you can house-rule that instead of vanishing after attacking, Witches and Cultists cannot be moved and vanish at the end of the keeper's turn. This fits the flavor more closely and, in my experience, is how they act in normal play anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Zymet
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, Roberta!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Strange issue.

I have polish edition, and for my "Breaking Character" ("Wyjście z roli") action card there is after translation: "Discard after witch or cultist attack." ("Odrzuć gdy kultysta lub wiedźma zaatakuje."). So I have to discard action card, not a monster.

My first thought was - senseless! But I imagined this is some security policy for Investigator so they cannot be overwhelmed by constantly appearing and attacking monsters. In this case Keeper can just spawn monsters and only after some time he can use them to attack.

What is the text on original card? Is this translation problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
rzabcio wrote:
Strange issue.

I have polish edition, and for my "Breaking Character" ("Wyjście z roli") action card there is after translation: "Discard after witch or cultist attack." ("Odrzuć gdy kultysta lub wiedźma zaatakuje."). So I have to discard action card, not a monster.

My first thought was - senseless! But I imagined this is some security policy for Investigator so they cannot be overwhelmed by constantly appearing and attacking monsters. In this case Keeper can just spawn monsters and only after some time he can use them to attack.

What is the text on original card? Is this translation problem?

This is a translation problem. The line on the original card says:

"After a witch or cultist attacks, discard it from play."

This wording makes it clear that the monster, not the Breaking Character card itself, is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.