Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I lurked on the forum to gather different variant ideas from everybody and I tried to make a list of simple variants that will change few things to the game for a maximum effect. But most importantly, that will not change the content of the cards.

1.Captain: A new role is added, the captain role. The roles comes with a ship card for every player and 5 icon token, 1 for each kind of good. When the captain role is taken each player can take one of their good and place it under their ship. Each card under the ship is worth 1 VP at the end of the game.

The same type of resources cannot be shipped twice during the same turn. So when a player ship a good, he takes one of the 5 good token matching what he has shipped. This prevent other players to ship that resource type. The tokens are returned after the captain phase.

The captain privilege allow the player to ship and extra good of any type. Of course, it would be cool to have extra buildings for the captain phase, but that would be impossible to do.

2. Extra coins: Add a few coins from puerto rico to the game. The prospector is only used in the 4 player game if the captain variant is used. At the end of the turn, the governor place X coins on the remaining role cards where X is the number of players He must distribute the coins evenly.

The player get the coins when he takes the role. Each coin can be used to pay for building production. So a coin reduce building cost by 1. Maybe players are forced to use coins first (to reduce the need to have a shit load of coin tokens)

----------------------------------------------------------------
The variants above are those I consider the most important, optionally, you could use the variant below.

3. Reshuffle Market: The market tiles are reshuffled when they are all used, or when 4 out of 5 of them have been used.

4. No double production building: You cannot build multiple copies of production buildings. Which makes additional indigo plant in the deck worthless.

(edit)

OR Guild hall scores 2 point per building type. (but that requires changing the content of a card).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think? Any feedback would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about some of the same, but since I've started playing with the expansions I haven't considered any of them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering getting the expansion since I have 3 games of the treasure chest. I'll see if I can share the box with somebody else.

The only variant I consider to keep for now is the doubloon on roles and 2 points per building type for the guild hall.

A captain role would have been cool, but it would have been better if they came with buildings for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.