3 Posts

War on Terror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trading settlements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Collie
msg tools
Hi there,

Just a quick question about this game. Three friends and I had a game that ended up with two people as terrorists and two of us as separate Empires who had formed an alliance, with it going on like that all night as a stalemate. In order to wrap things up and to prevent the terrorists winning, I traded the other Empire all of my territories for one card, thereby giving him control of enough continents and cities to win the game.

I was wondering if it is a legal move to give your own developments to another player, i.e., to effectively treat the stuff you've built as belonging to them.

In the rulebook, as I read it,it seemed to say you could trade anything you wanted, however, there were other rules saying you could only be removed or sold to the bank when avoiding going bankrupt.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance and taking the time to read this! Also, sorry if this is a complete n00b question.

Thanks,
CC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 5 of the rules says that a player may sell developments to cover debts (and that this is the only time when this can be done).

It doesn't say you can't trade developments.

However, if you were playing at my house, I'd rule that developments can only be traded through the conversion of one player's development into that of another player.

That is, one player can not simply take control of the development(s) of another player, but must place their own development marker(s) in the place of the traded development marker(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Collie
msg tools
Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. That clears things up a bit for me. I had the same instinct, in that it didn't say you couldn't do it. Some of the others felt that because it didn't say it you couldn't do it.

I do agree though that it is maybe a bit game-breaking (even though this game isn't that serious) so a house rule limiting such things sounds like a good idea for future games.

Thanks again!

CC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.