Subject: Fortress Kremlin Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jez UK
Wales
Cardiff
S Wales
flag msg tools
Link: http://67.222.25.141/articles-boardgame-reviews/3607-motherl...

Briefly covers the proposed kickstarter campaign and the history of the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey! I wrote that!

Thanks for the mention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"They plan on not only reprinting the classic game, but also on adding new modules that will clean up the rules and hopefully modernize the game a little."

This worries me. What needs to be cleaned up? And what needs to be modernized? Please oh please don't add a victory point track along the edge of the board. Way too many games have gone the route of the victory point system. I'm tired of it. I love the uniqueness of Kremlin where all you're trying to do is wave three times at a parade. But you don't actually even have to do that. Just be the highest ranked politician at the end of the game and you win.

I would say rolling dice and consulting the health chart is a bit tedious and that has room for improvement. I don't know what you go to but maybe something easily memorized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Clean-up: The rules....they will not be presented in 1980s 1.a.1.ii fashion. They'll be more modern--and will include play examples, etc as well.

Modernize:
The game will have three sets of politicians and rules for each set:

1 - The fictional characters...though some names will be changed. The original names are 'jokes' relevant to the fine gentlemen at Fata Morgana...some of the changes will be new 'jokes'. The rules for the 'fictional' game will be 99.9% the original Fata Morgana rules.

2 - The 1920s. These politicians will use the rules from the original American edition (for the most part) though there are different event cards---so you can't have "chernobyl" or 'Missile Crisis' since those wouldn't happen back then. This version will remain vicious with a high body count.

3 - The modern era. There are plenty of modern Soviet/Russian politicians to make fun of. The 'modern' game includes rules for going into exile to avoid the KGB or prosecution.

The card events are also different--with a 'generic' deck used in all three games and specific cards which are used only in the appropriate era.

Kremlin is one of my five favorite games of all time. I am trying to treat it with loving care--so that you can play it in any of its past incarnations OR with some new twists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
I'm personally worried that you are going to serious it up too much. I hope you don't!

Best wishes with the whole project of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
I'm personally worried that you are going to serious it up too much. I hope you don't!

Best wishes with the whole project of course.

Serious it up?? Oh goodness no.
How could you turn a game with guys like 'Shootemdeadski' into something serious?

How often do you get to roll and root for guys to die an early death?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.