Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last game, a player had a number of first mates (4?) on a base. He then played an action that boosted them each by 1 power until the end of the turn. This defeated the base. Based on our reading of the rules, the first mates can then be moved to another base and since the +1 per card continues until the end of the turn the base he moved it to also was defeated. It's continued for most of the bases on the board (there were other minions on them).

I think we interpreted that correctly, but it seemed awfully powerful. What do you think?

As an aside, I'm impressed how thematically appropriate the card mechanics are for each faction. Fun game, if a little long for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This was done correctly. Which is why you kill First Mates whenever you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Park
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would let the first mates build up? D: The pirates are exceptionally powerful due to their overall ability to move around bases easily.

What faction were they paired with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were four players playing our first few games. Since we didn't yet know the factions, we were literally learning the possibilities as we went.

Now we know.

Who were they paired with? Hmmm.if I'm not mistaken, that game they were paired with the gnomes.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles vera
United States
el paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
U could only move them once since their ability can't be used again after "moving" right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently they keep moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most non-Ongoing abilities trigger only when played. However, Special abilities are just that...special, and First Mates will trigger any time the base they are on is scored. If conditions allow this to happen more than once in a turn, so be it and props for good play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
agent easy wrote:
In our last game, a player had a number of first mates (4?) on a base. He then played an action that boosted them each by 1 power until the end of the turn. This defeated the base. Based on our reading of the rules, the first mates can then be moved to another base and since the +1 per card continues until the end of the turn the base he moved it to also was defeated. It's continued for most of the bases on the board (there were other minions on them).

I think we interpreted that correctly, but it seemed awfully powerful. What do you think?

As I interpret it, they could only move to other bases if the other bases' breakpoint has also been reached during this particular turn.

The rules clearly say that determining whether a breakpoint has been reached or not is something that happens before bases scores! If minions are destroyed after this determination the breakpoint still counts as reached and the base will be scored. If there is not enough power on a base to reach its breakpoint then the base will NOT be scored this turn.

Say all the minions plus the First Mates on base #1 have reached the breakpoint, but the minions on base #2 and base #3 have not. In this case only base #1 will be scored this turn and it does not matter whether the breakpoint of base #2 or #3 has been reached after the First Mates moved there this turn or not. Only base #1 will be scored this particular turn.

However, if base #1, #2, and #3 have been reached their breakpoints, they will all be scored this turn and in this case the First Mates could slide from #1 -> #2 -> #3 and participate in the scoring (which only makes sense if the First-Mate-player is the active player).

A bit confusing, please excuse my English. Hope it helps. I think an official statement would be of more help to you, though.

PS. - Can a First Mate move to the base that replaces the scored base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, don't know about your last question but we have always played that bases scored individually, not as a whole at the same time. Definitely could have been doing that wrong, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
agent easy wrote:
Hmmm, don't know about your last question but we have always played that bases scored individually, not as a whole at the same time. Definitely could have been doing that wrong, though!

I think there is a difference between "checking which base will score this turn (1)" and "scoring a base (2)." You determine which bases will be scored this turn simultaneously and BEFORE the actual scoring (1), and after that you score bases individually (2). The rulebook says (please note the order!):

Quote:

3. Check For Scoring

After you are done playing cards, check to see
whether any bases are ready to score (1) (see page 6).
If any are ready, you must start scoring (2).

After scoring bases, check to see if any
players have 15 or more victory points. If so,
see The End of the World on page 6.

If I interpret this correctly, First Mates can only score 2 or more bases in the same turn, if all the bases they attempt to score were determined/checked to be scored this turn (= and that happens before the actual scoring).

PS - it makes the First Mate less good, but he is still awesome if you think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't really see how what you quoted has anything to do with if First mate can cause a Base to break. However
Quote:

Back to Your Corners
After scoring, players can use Special abilities that
happen “after” a base scores. Then all cards still
on that base go to their owners’ discard piles. This
does not destroy them, but might trigger abilities
that happen when they go to the discard pile.
Put the scored base into the base discard pile.
Replace it with the top card of the base deck, if any.
Check to see if another base is ready to be scored.
Score it too, the same way.

Implies that First mate can cause a base to break if He moves to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The order is:

Check to see if any bases score.
Choose one and score it.
Rinse, repeat.

Thus a base scoring with a First Mate exodus can result in another base scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.