Subject: Drow Underpowered rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I don't understand why Drow have such a low unit number - 4? Their race ability really isn't that strong, more of a penalty than a bonus. I always thought they'd be a really powerful starting race, but even with their bonus and being able to deploy them 1st turn of the game (with no other races on the board) I still only scored a max of 8 points. Decent, but nowhere near as high as they should be. Because right after this both players (we were playing a 3 player game) flanked me on both sides and I had to end up declining 2nd or 3rd turn. My point is, they only have a semi-strong starting game and drop off immediately. So not worth it.

Compare this to the Flames who also have a starting unit number of 4, who can basically own any group who were stupid enough to clump around the cataclysms when Flames were in the pool.

Flames are one of my favourite races in this game, Drow are hands down my least. Yet they both share the same unit number. Dafuq?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few comments:

- 8 points on turn 1 is pretty good. *edit* Re-read your post. Sounds like you got < 8 on turn 1 and a max of 8 on a future turn. Perhaps you should have declined them earlier to increase your points per turn. See next comment.
- It's quite common to go into decline on turn 2 or 3. This way, you get to score for both an in decline and an active race as early as possible.
- Most races have a way to "counter" them. Surrounding the Drow is the way to counter them. You got countered. The fact that they got countered doesn't make them underpowered.
- Similarly, the way to "counter" Flames is to stay away from them. *edit* ... and focus on wiping out their in decline race. Flames on their own won't score many points when thinned out and will be forced to go into decline. If people instead stayed away from Drow and camped out next to Flames, they would both seem very powerful.
- Drow are a points-scoring race (which generally wants to avoid conflict), while Flames are a conflict-oriented race. Perhaps a more conflict-oriented race better suits your play style (?).
- Not all the races and powers are equally balanced, but the game has a balancing system built in: If a race/power combo gets skipped, it starts accumulating VP tokens. At some point, the race/power combo + VP tokens will be worth taking. Midway through the game, you would almost certainly prefer ____ Drow with 3 VPs over spending a VP to take ____ Flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, its all about playing them right. I personally love play with the Drow, since they have a very puzzle-like aspect to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.