17 Posts

Catan: 5-6 Player Extension» Forums » General

Subject: Would 5-6 player be ok for someones first game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am trying to introduce friends into this fantastic board gaming world and i really like playing settlers online. My gaming group will be 5 to 6 come this Christmas and while i have the likes of TTR Europe, Wits and Wagers and Incan Gold ready, id like to play Settlers with them. But my worry is maybe the 5-6 player extension is not the best to introduce them with. They have played wits and gold before. Never TTR. My problem is i need to have gateway games which account for lots of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly? I wouldn't bother with the 5-6 player expansion at all. It ruins Catan, IMO.

Edit: I see that you only show 1 game in your collection, but have you thought about getting a co-op. Flash Point: Fire Rescue plays up to 6 and is a really good co-op game that works on multiple levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Catan with 5-6 very much. If you have to, it will work I think to introduce people to the game. Probably 3 or 4 is better but 5 or 6 is fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with five is fine, make sure you use the variant listed in the rules about the special building phase after every players turn.

If you'd like a game which plays many players you could look at Bohnanza, Incan Gold, or Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cypar7 wrote:
make sure you use the variant listed in the rules about the special building phase after every players turn.

And that is what spoils the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Honestly? I wouldn't bother with the 5-6 player expansion at all. It ruins Catan, IMO.

Agreed! There are so many better 5-6 player games. Many, many, many great games are 5 player.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Richardson
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The next CGC meeting is Saturday, April 11th, 2015. http://ctgameclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's better to keep it simple on an introductory game. 3 or 4 players is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
5 or 6 is fine. We don't even bother with the special extra build rule.

Sure there's downtime, and the game is best with 4, but it's still fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
I think the extra build rule is necessary. Otherwise the robber hits too often and he slows the game way down. It's not a complicated rule, just include it and the game will go faster and smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
monteslu wrote:
I think the extra build rule is necessary. Otherwise the robber hits too often and he slows the game way down. It's not a complicated rule, just include it and the game will go faster and smoother.

I've tried it both ways, and could go either. Not having it is by no means a deal breaker. With 6 people we're usually drinking and goofing around a bit anyways, so we kinda like tension on the sevens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Casson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Edit: I see that you only show 1 game in your collection, but have you thought about getting a co-op. Flash Point: Fire Rescue plays up to 6 and is a really good co-op game that works on multiple levels.[/q]

better the then the 5 player 'on the brink' extension for pandemic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Focusing on the original question of whether the 5-6 player expansion would be OK for someone's first game. I would suggest the first play be with three or maybe four players personally.

It is not that much harder or different, but I am of the belief that you should start with the normal version of a game before being thrown in the potentially deep end of variants, expansions, modifications etc. They are more likely to come back for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer Catan with just 3p. Games go even quicker with just 3p vs. 4p.

wmshub wrote:
monteslu wrote:
One alternative to the special build phase is to up everyone's hand limit by 2, so instead of 7 or less resource cards you woN'T have to discard half, now it's 9 or less. This has worked out pretty well in online versions at least. This has the added benefit of speeding up the game (since you no longer need to do the extra of queuing each player for his turn during each player's turn)

EDIT: this variant of removing special build phase does speed up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Casson wrote:
Quote:

Edit: I see that you only show 1 game in your collection, but have you thought about getting a co-op. Flash Point: Fire Rescue plays up to 6 and is a really good co-op game that works on multiple levels.

better the then the 5 player 'on the brink' extension for pandemic?

I like Pandemic, and the game does have one of the most awesome expansions ever (On the Brink)! However, Flash Point is just as good and will play up to 6. It has various difficulty levels, just like Pandemic, and the theme is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found 5-6 player Catan painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played tons of 5-6 player games of Settlers, and I don't have any problems with it. The rules are the same, except for the ability to build in between turns. As you can see from the replies, it's a very subjective answer you're looking for. Some other gateway games I've played that work well with 5-6 players are Alhambra, Carcassonne, Zooloretto, Ticket to Ride, and Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heynes
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra doesn't work well with more than 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.