Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Block the Path =

Play on a base and name a faction. Ongoing: Minions of that faction cannot be played here.

Wildlife Preserve =

Play on a base. Ongoing: Your minions here are not affected by other players' actions.

Is block the path not an action once it gets played?

I saw that things that say you can't do something trump things that say you can. But I see both languages here. "CANNOT BE PLAYED" and "NOT AFFECTED"

Little help.

Also, if you chime in and say Wildlife preserve doesn't work like that...

I think I've seen other minor confusions in some card interaction.

Love the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:
Block the Path =

Play on a base and name a faction. Ongoing: Minions of that faction cannot be played here.

Wildlife Preserve =

Play on a base. Ongoing: Your minions here are not affected by other players' actions.

Is block the path not an action once it gets played?

I saw that things that say you can't do something trump things that say you can. But I see both languages here. "CANNOT BE PLAYED" and "NOT AFFECTED"

Little help.

Also, if you chime in and say Wildlife preserve doesn't work like that...

I think I've seen other minor confusions in some card interaction.

Love the game though.

Wildlife Preserve means that no actions, whether already played or played in the future, can target your minions there. So if you play Block the Path on my Dinosaurs and I later play Wildlife Preserve on that same location, I am then able to play Dinosaurs there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
Wildlife Preserve means that no actions, whether already played or played in the future, can target your minions there. So if you play Block the Path on my Dinosaurs and I later play Wildlife Preserve on that same location, I am then able to play Dinosaurs there.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tend to disagree. Your minions "here" are not affected, but when they are being playe,d they are not there.

Then again, I am not the rules guru.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm still kind of curious about a similar card ruling.

Not sure the card name, but one card is an effect that reads "Play on a minion. No cards can be played that effect this minion."

Then there is another card which reads: "Destroy target effect. -4 to target creature effect was on."

Would the second card be able to destroy the first, as it is first targeting an effect (destroying that minions invulnerability), then the minion or would the second card be voided since it has an ability that targets the protected minion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:

Not sure the card name, but one card is an effect that reads "Play on a minion. No cards can be played that effect this minion."

Then there is another card which reads: "Destroy target effect. -4 to target creature effect was on."

Would the second card be able to destroy the first, as it is first targeting an effect (destroying that minions invulnerability), then the minion or would the second card be voided since it has an ability that targets the protected minion?

I'd say that you're targetting the effect card, then the creature, so you follow them in order and when the second part goes off, the card preventing the penalty is gone, so it'd work as you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
I would tend to disagree. Your minions "here" are not affected, but when they are being playe,d they are not there.

Then again, I am not the rules guru.

surprise Since when are you not the rules guru?!

Also, I agree. Your minions are not "here" until after being played, thus Block the Path would prevent new dinos from being played there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
Never Knows Best wrote:

I'd say that you're targetting the effect card, then the creature, so you follow them in order and when the second part goes off, the card preventing the penalty is gone, so it'd work as you said.

I agree with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah O.
msg tools
The rulebook wrote:
A card is affected if it is moved, returned, destroyed, or has an action attached.

So it looks like "preventing from being played" and "removing an action from" does not count as affecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a lot of games, "can't" tends to override "can". One card says you cannot play any Dinosaur minions. The other one would protect any of your minions THERE from other actions, but:
A) Block is already there,
B) Block doesn't specifically target anything, and
C) Block specifically prevents your Dinosaurs from getting "THERE" to be protected by the Preserve.

Your Dinosaurs can't get THERE in the first place to be protected.
Preserve isn't a secret tunnel into the enemy base. It's a shield for the minions already at the base.

Aaron: That would depend on whether Smash Up follows a pattern like Magic: The Gathering in which "targets" are announced when the card is played. If so, then the protected card isn't initially a legal target when announced. In spirit...I'd rule in this way for such a combined card (though if the two effects were played separately, this would absolutely be allowed). All in all...this is FAR too technical a question for such a fun game! Shame on you! :-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow lots of disagreement....

OFFFICIAL RULING

Please....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, I checked and the rulebook specifically states:

Quote:
If cards conflict, the one that says you can't do something beats the one that says you can.

Since Block specifically says you cannot, and the "yes you can" is being implied for Preserve, I stand by what I said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:

Quote:
If cards conflict, the one that says you can't do something beats the one that says you can.

Since Block specifically says you cannot, and the "yes you can" is being implied for Preserve, I stand by what I said above.

Word brah, but I want the big boy man to answer yo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schuck Johnson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:

Quote:

Actually preserve says your cards are "not affected", which is again a negative. Thus the epic clashing of two negative cards as the original poster phrased it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Again, not official but I think alternate wording of Wildlife Preserve could be interpreted as follows:
Play on a base. Ongoing: Once your minions are on the base that Wildlife Preserve is, they cannot be affected by other players' actions.

I actually don't think the "negative vs. possitive" rule has anything to do with it. Both cards similtaniously work (for example, if an opponent already had a minion on the base before Block the Path was played there, it would be unaffected) however new minions of the blocked player cannot make it to the Preserve to ever get that protection (IE Wildlife preserve does not grant any type of ability to a minion before it is played onto a base).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the others, I take it to mean two totally different things that don't conflict.

Block the path prevents people from putting certain factions on that base. It does not do anything to factions that may already BE at that base.

Wildlife preserve only applies to cards already played at a base. So it would help cards already played but you still wouldn't be able to add new minions to that base without first somehow dealing with the Block the Path card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify once an for all (with the disclaimer that I do not officially work for AEG, nor have I worked on the game in any capacity, official or otherwise)...

First, the definition of affect on the rulebook is...

Smash Up Base Set Rulebook, page 8 wrote:

Affect: A card is affected if it is moved, returned, destroyed, or has an action attached.

Block the Path does not do anything under the definition of affect other than to attach to a base. Since Wildlife Preserve does not prevent this as it only affects minions, it has no effect on Block the Path, ever.

For the related question about Poison (the one that does -4) and the card that says your minion cannot be affected or similar (like Hideout or Incorporeal), Poison is an action attached, and will count for Hideout (which destroys Poison before anything happens) and Incorporeal (which says that Poison cannot choose the minion in the first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
Question re "Block the Path" - just checking that any minions of the chosen faction that were already played can remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
johnraggio wrote:
Question re "Block the Path" - just checking that any minions of the chosen faction that were already played can remain.

Right, BtP says nothing about the minions already there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.