$10.00
Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Roads & Boats» Forums » News

Subject: REPRINT after Essen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the game will be reprinted...and not next year but this year, right after Essen.

How do I know this? Well, a number of retailers are taking preorders. So what, you say. That happens all the time. But numerous retail sources have been told that Roads will be available in Q4 2012, with specifics of around late November.

There's been a fairly active thread about this recently, with Jeroen popping in now and again and being vague. This reminds me of what Splotter did right before the Antiquity reprint (and the thread I started about it near that time).

I have a question and a demand, Splotter!

My question is, why keep the reprint a secret? We love you! Tell us when so we can spread the word and get ready! This is a crazy-fan-driven business. Seriously, Dr Computer and Mr-Former-McKinsey, take a think.

Secondly: if this ISN'T true, I demand you formally deny it, O game company of my heart!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If true, this is pretty awesome news. I have been waiting to get a copy for quite some time. It brings a smile to my face that those people who are holding onto the game in order to try and price gouge others who actually want to play it, will only be able to do so for a few more months.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what everyone means by price gouging. I picked this up with the expansion for $175. Sure, it's probably a bit higher than if it was actually in print, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot cheaper. What do people think the cost of R&B will be (since et Cetera is in print and is costing about $40)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I study games and gamers at the Technoculture, Art and Games research centre at Concordia University, Montreal.
badge
I hate bowling. It's just multiplayer solitaire.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else tempted to buy second, backup copies of R&B and the expansion? devil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if it means I don't get a copy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
Is anyone else tempted to buy second, backup copies of R&B and the expansion? :devil:


No way. What if they change the donkey art? :gulp:
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that this is true.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I'm curious what everyone means by price gouging. I picked this up with the expansion for $175. Sure, it's probably a bit higher than if it was actually in print, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot cheaper. What do people think the cost of R&B will be (since et Cetera is in print and is costing about $40)


I think people mean substantially more than that - I would gladly pay $175 for R&B plus the expansion. A lot of people price just R&B at $175 or more by itself.

I would guess R&B will be $119 if it gets reprinted.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I'm curious what everyone means by price gouging. I picked this up with the expansion for $175. Sure, it's probably a bit higher than if it was actually in print, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot cheaper. What do people think the cost of R&B will be (since et Cetera is in print and is costing about $40)


I mean the people who are asking $200+ for the base game by itself. I literally contacted every person who had the game for trade via geekmail, some were quite courteous and told me they were not interested, but then there were also some who felt the need to let me know my offers were ridiculous, and nowhere near the value of R&B. In a particular case, I offered $150-$160 worth of games, all in shrink and direct from a retailer.

He has had no such luck actually trading or selling the game, and I can only imagine he will have a harder time now given the increase in supply coming in the next few months, if the rumor is true.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opks22 wrote:


I mean the people who are asking $200+ for the base game by itself. I literally contacted every person who had the game for trade via geekmail, some were quite courteous and told me they were not interested, but then there were also some who felt the need to let me know my offers were ridiculous, and nowhere near the value of R&B. In a particular case, I offered $150-$160 worth of games, all in shrink and direct from a retailer.

He has had no such luck actually trading or selling the game, and I can only imagine he will have a harder time now given the increase in supply coming in the next few months, if the rumor is true.


Splotter titles are tough in that regard. You might have offered him your copy of Antiquity in trade instead, at least before it was reprinted I wouldn't let Splotter titles go for any in-print titles; it's simply too hard to replace a Splotter title. Also, I've never met or heard of any Splotter owner who thought Splotter was "meh." Could be wrong, but typically once you find Splotter, you're pretty fanatical. You won't find one thrifting, for instance, or traded away because someone doesn't know what they have.

Of course, Roads hit about $300 IIRC right before the last reprint. It's cyclical.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but then why list it as for sale and for trade if you want to hold on to it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opks22 wrote:
I agree, but then why list it as for sale and for trade if you want to hold on to it?


Just to see what the offers are, I suppose. Before I moved (this was before the reprint) I listed my copy of Antiquity for sale because I didn't really want to drive it across the country, but I ended up keeping it because I didn't get any offers that were high enough to replace it with a similarly hard-to-find game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
opks22 wrote:
I agree, but then why list it as for sale and for trade if you want to hold on to it?


Just to see what the offers are, I suppose. Before I moved (this was before the reprint) I listed my copy of Antiquity for sale because I didn't really want to drive it across the country, but I ended up keeping it because I didn't get any offers that were high enough to replace it with a similarly hard-to-find game.


Collectible items like this do weird things to economic principles. There's a lot of "run it up the flagpole" listings I'm sure. And of course many highly valuable items aren't very liquid.

I'm not sure what I'd let a spare copy of Antiquity go for. Cash, even Way Too Much Cash (like $500), doesn't seem quite right.

So a game...but...not sure there's an equivalent Grail I want...? wow Horrors! I must quit BGG!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
I'm not sure what I'd let a spare copy of Antiquity go for. Cash, even Way Too Much Cash (like $500), doesn't seem quite right.


It would have to be some kind of elaborate trial, with the various suitors seeking to outdo one another in their prowess with blade, harp and wit.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone ask the guys at Splotter about this during Essen?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that CLS does not have their listing up anymore...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalendar wrote:
I notice that CLS does not have their listing up anymore...


I bet it's because in this day and age, most retailers start the "Preorder machine" up on rumours, not facts.

Not saying I disagree with the practice, just that retailers offering a preorder is no longer a reliable method to judge release.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
crambaza wrote:
Zalendar wrote:
I notice that CLS does not have their listing up anymore...


I bet it's because in this day and age, most retailers start the "Preorder machine" up on rumours, not facts.

CLS seems to, that's for sure. They're always the first up with a game, even if it doesn't pan out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who took that pre-order, I have yet to hear anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Speaking as someone who took that pre-order, I have yet to hear anything.

soblue Hope it works out for you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
I bet it's because in this day and age, most retailers start the "Preorder machine" up on rumours, not facts.


I would like to preorder a copy of the Roads and Boats video game, as advertised in your avatar!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Wiersinga
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
So here's what's going on: we are in active discussions with retailers/ distributors to possibly reprint this game. Basically, for the past 2 years we have told all interested shops and distributors that if they would buy a large enough volume, we would reprint. One distributor took this very seriously and is now very actively collecting pre-orders from shops. We did not know they were doing this until we met them last saturday in Essen, so we were surprised by the pre-order forms as well.

The good news is, it looks like demand is high and we will thus more than likely reprint soon. But we cannot confirm this 100% as we are still discussing/evaluating volumes and conditions. It will unlikely be finished in November but Q1 2013 seems realistic, if we go ahead.

Joris
Splotter
70 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's excellent news,

Will the reprint have any significant changes?

How much will it, roughly, cost?

And, is it possible to pre-order a copy directly from you?
If not which places are taking pre-orders that reasonably ship to the UK?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:
That's excellent news,

Will the reprint have any significant changes?

How much will it, roughly, cost?

And, is it possible to pre-order a copy directly from you?
If not which places are taking pre-orders that reasonably ship to the UK?

Gameplay will be unchanged, but we may make some changes in the exact material. It's still early days, so we are still investigating options (and don't know the price yet either).

We will be offering pre-orders from our website.

Jeroen
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, this was the confirmation I was waiting for...

Finally, I will be able to get this game, it has been at the top of my wishlist for quite some time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.