$10.00
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Trek: Expeditions» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Aside from what's already been released, does anyone know whether there are plans to release an expansion with new Mission Cards?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mikecl wrote:

Aside from what's already been released, does anyone know whether there are plans to release an expansion with new Mission Cards?

As far as I am aware no new design work was ever requested by WizKids.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
As far as I am aware no new design work was ever requested by WizKids.

That's a shame. This game could really have used a new mission to keep things interesting. Simply adding new player characters doesn't interest me as much as a new mission would.

Maybe the game didn't sell well enough to warrant a new mission expansion?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Someone should do a Strange Eons plugin for this game (as was done for Talisman) to make card generation quick and easy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It got some pretty negative press out of the gate which might have killed sales. I think though that pretty much everyone who plays (or played) it would buy expansions that included new Mission cards and it seems to me it could be done pretty reasonably. (Cheaper than new characters).

It's a shame because it's not half bad. Easily as entertaining as Star Trek Fleet Captains and there's already a decent expansion for that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
AdmiralACF wrote:
xris wrote:
As far as I am aware no new design work was ever requested by WizKids.

That's a shame. This game could really have used a new mission to keep things interesting. Simply adding new player characters doesn't interest me as much as a new mission would.

I would agree. The initial design was such that new scenarios at a new location with new missions could be produced.
AdmiralACF wrote:
Maybe the game didn't sell well enough to warrant a new mission expansion?

While this may be true, I think part of the problem was that the license WizKids obtained (for the "Star Trek: The Movie" board game) had nearly expired by the time the game was released. Producing an expansion would require a new license.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General

Edit: Something funky happened when this was moved. If this is the wrong game can someone geekmail me (I think it's right).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:
Maybe the game didn't sell well enough to warrant a new mission expansion?

While this may be true, I think part of the problem was that the license WizKids obtained (for the "Star Trek: The Movie" board game) had nearly expired by the time the game was released. Producing an expansion would require a new license.

Ah, that could explain it. It could have been a combination of the two: it didn't sell well enough to warrant renewing the license.

Was this the only game produced under that license?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

While this may be true, I think part of the problem was that the license WizKids obtained (for the "Star Trek: The Movie" board game) had nearly expired by the time the game was released. Producing an expansion would require a new license.


Maybe new film, new license, new expansion if the interest is there. In the meantime, anyone up to designing a fan expansion?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Majestic Tale of) An Idiot With a Box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'll just put this over here with the rest of the fire.
badge
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
xris wrote:

While this may be true, I think part of the problem was that the license WizKids obtained (for the "Star Trek: The Movie" board game) had nearly expired by the time the game was released. Producing an expansion would require a new license.


Maybe new film, new license, new expansion if the interest is there. In the meantime, anyone up to designing a fan expansion?
I'd love to, but I want to get some more plays under my belt before I feel comfortable doing so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By all means game away! I'm sure we'd all like to see them. This is actually a pretty decent little game and doesn't deserve its poor press. It's only problem is the strategy isn't immediately apparent and it takes about three plays before it really starts to shine.

Of all the Knizia games I've played this one hangs on to its theme the best. You really do get the sense (if you take the time to read out the mission flavor text) that your away team is figuring out a mystery reminiscent of a Star Trek television episode or movie.

There are different story branches depending on how well or poorly you do and all the side missions tie into the main story if you take the time to read them.

Even with no new Mission cards, the game play itself is engaging and different due to random distribution of the missions. It definitely doesn't need new missions to make it "worth" getting. It's like any other board game in that respect. You're always playing the same story. It's the gameplay that keeps it interesting and Expeditions has that in spades.

That said, there is infinite room for expandability here in the way the game engine is designed. I think the game is also designed, once you learn it, to be played on the last level of difficulty (for those whining about it being too easy).




5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
OK. You've got me intrigued. When I'm not so busy with work, I'm going to make up a fan expansion and see if it works.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
By all means game away! I'm sure we'd all like to see them. This is actually a pretty decent little game and doesn't deserve its poor press. It's only problem is the strategy isn't immediately apparent and it takes about three plays before it really starts to shine.

Of all the Knizia games I've played this one hangs on to its theme the best. You really do get the sense (if you take the time to read out the mission flavor text) that your away team is figuring out a mystery reminiscent of a Star Trek television episode or movie.

There are different story branches depending on how well or poorly you do and all the side missions tie into the main story if you take the time to read them.

Even with no new Mission cards, the game play itself is engaging and different due to random distribution of the missions. It definitely doesn't need new missions to make it "worth" getting. It's like any other board game in that respect. You're always playing the same story. It's the gameplay that keeps it interesting and Expeditions has that in spades.

That said, there is infinite room for expandability here in the way the game engine is designed. I think the game is also designed, once you learn it, to be played on the last level of difficulty (for those whining about it being too easy).






I agree. I have recently bought it and the most I play the most strategies I see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:
OK. You've got me intrigued. When I'm not so busy with work, I'm going to make up a fan expansion and see if it works.



Let´s see what can you do, and don´t forget to share it with us. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really disappointed there's no expansion in the works... the game is fun but tires quickly and it would be so simple for them to release cheap packs of mission cards for new expansions, which for those of us into the theme would really open the game up again, and probably sell more copies of the base game as we hooked other people into it by playing more often...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackfaer wrote:
Really disappointed there's no expansion in the works... the game is fun but tires quickly and it would be so simple for them to release cheap packs of mission cards for new expansions, which for those of us into the theme would really open the game up again, and probably sell more copies of the base game as we hooked other people into it by playing more often...


Publishers. Often know what they are doing, as they have access to the figures, but not always. Which case this is, I have no idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen C. Green
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I think I've got the graphics end of it down, no problem, to 300 ppi poker-size playing cards for the "Captain's Log" and "Supplemental" cards, and down to 300 ppi mini-size playing cards for the Discovery Tokens. I've rewritten and redrawn the original components for the mission to Nibia, and I've got plans to write up 4 new missions (Delta Vega, New Vulcan, Rura Penthe, and Nibiru). Out of the four new missions that I am planning, I have written one and a half of the three main plot lines. I find writing the plot lines to be quite challenging to keep it interesting and all working together. I could use help with the writing out of complete missions. If you are willing to work together on it, let me know.

section31sfic@yahoo.ca

--Stephen Charles Green
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.