5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Map Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Previously I had posted a variant about a Capture the Flag type skirmish. I've been arranging tiles to come up with some cool maps, but I'm beginning to realize the existing map tiles don't really cut it. So now I'm considering making my own custom maps. The reason why I want to do this is so there will be less 2 tile width hallways (which I find to be a bit bland, as well as very chokey) and more large rooms. I'm even thinking about taking a cue from Wiz War and making some "labyrinth" type tiles. I think this might make for some interesting layouts.

Has anyone attempted anything like this yet? Besides being used for skirmishes, I'm thinking this could be very useful for making custom campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
you could use the descent 1.ed tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy one of the cheap paper D&D maps and play on it.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
If making modular tiles proves too much of a hassle, you could also just print pre-built "arenas" on a large sheet of paper (mounting it on a nice hard backing is optional.)

It seems to me that modularity is less of a concern for this CTF style of game. Since there isn't a lot of story involved, it doesn't really matter if you play on the same 3 or 4 maps all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
One even could create a quest with custom made maps, printed on a sheet of A4 (or Letter format) paper - from a published pdf file posted in the file section.
There is no absolute need to use the modular components of the game.
As long as one respects the scale and the terrains depicted in the rules, I don't see a big problem here.
It would be better than using other games' components - as that would restrict the quest to those who own such other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.