Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does any one have any good advice on board care or know of any good sites that discuss board care?

I am buying my first board from the Hilinski brothers laugh and want to make sure that I take the best possible care of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
A good quality board shouldn't have any warping issues when treated well. I'd make sure to keep mine out of humid places and if I had a Hilinski board instead of the plywood board I have I'd keep it in a bag. Look out for large cymbal bags at your nearest music shoppe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Hilinski board that I bought 8 years ago and I store it by hanging it on the wall.Have not had any trouble with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response.

My biggest concern is with all of that cleaning, oiling, and waxing that I have read about.

Sorry for not mentioning that before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
ArseFez wrote:
Thanks for your response.

My biggest concern is with all of that cleaning, oiling, and waxing that I have read about.

Sorry for not mentioning that before.

Clean with a damp rag. No oil, they are sealed with polyurethane. For wax most people use car wax, just do it when it seems like it needs it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning from experience - never use spray cleaners, especially oil based cleaners like Pledge or Endust, on the board surface or especially on the stones, many of which have a painted surface. Doing so will cause the surface to become STICKY, a very unwanted effect for Crokinole! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
For wax most people use car wax, just do it when it seems like it needs it.

A lot of good advice here. One piece that can't be stated often enough is that you never use a cleaning wax on your board. The abrasive cleaners will ruin the finish of the surface. Use 100% pure wax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
Learning from experience - never use spray cleaners, especially oil based cleaners like Pledge or Endust, on the board surface or especially on the stones, many of which have a painted surface. Doing so will cause the surface to become STICKY, a very unwanted effect for Crokinole! gulp

This is a surprise to me I have used Pledge on the board and pieces and have found it to leave theboard smooth, slick, and clean. Never any sticky problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lou,

I suggest you try Carnauba wax next time and then compare the surface to what you get with Pledge. It is much, much different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SiskNY wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
For wax most people use car wax, just do it when it seems like it needs it.

A lot of good advice here. One piece that can't be stated often enough is that you never use a cleaning wax on your board. The abrasive cleaners will ruin the finish of the surface. Use 100% pure wax.

I just ordered a Muzzies Fundy Tournament board myself and want to make sure I use the proper waz as well. You say 100% wax is the best. Will ordinary yellow beeswax do as well? I use that for mouthpieces on my didgeridoos so if I can use that for my crokinole table as well, that would be... practical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using Mothers 100% Carnauba wax on my Hilinski board and it works like a charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Li
Canada
New York
flag msg tools
does anyone know how to fix scratches from my Muzzies board?
looks like finger nail marks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waxing and polishing should do the trick unless the wood itself is damaged, right?

Multiple coats if necessary.

Wax the entire board, wait 20-30 minutes then polish. Repeat until satisfied.

If you have a more severe injury to your board, then I will pass on the problem to people more experienced in woodworking than me.

I am no expert and have only recently aquired my first board myself. I just gave my two cents. Hope it helps and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon C.
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Mothers ultra wax system, step 3 100% Brazilian carnauba wax paste. Makes for a silky smooth surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Li
Canada
New York
flag msg tools
i got a turtle wax hard shell (car wax) lying around should i apply it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people recommend 100% pure wax. With no chemicals or cleaning agents added.

I, too, use Mothers Step 3. Pure wax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.