Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there's just the one edition of City of Thieves. As I was combining my King of Ashes expansion with the base game today, I found that the components don't match up. The new cards are sleightly bigger than than the old ones, which probably wouldn't be a problem once sleeved, except sleeved cards don't fit back into the insert. I also noticed the new mission "boards" aren't boards at all. Instead, this time being printed onto thick cardstock sheets.

One other complaint about component quality- the cyclops figurine doesn't seem to fit together very well. He comes in a bunch of pieces, and the two head pieces that are supposed form the mouth don't seem to be sized right. I also noticed that once the cyclops is assembled, he will not longer fit comfortably into the King of Ashes box, which again results in awkward space issues once combined into the base game box.

Overall- a bit disappointed by the quality presented here. Usually that's one area where I trust Fantasy Flight, but I think they dropped the ball here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's quite surprising... especially when considering that it's by FF.

I'm curious to know if ur situation was unique (just a random defect) -or if it will be like that with all the copies...

Because originally, I was planning to pick this up (along with the core game too); but I think I'll hold off a bit until I know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
City of Thieves was revised. My revised copy of the base game had poster mission sheets and the cards from the expansion lined up fine.

FFG may have used the Dust cards. But when they decided to make the expansion they realized the Dust cards were cut differently than the templates FFG uses for all of their games.

This is just a prediction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
JJ Sino wrote:
Wow, that's quite surprising... especially when considering that it's by FF.

I'm curious to know if ur situation was unique (just a random defect) -or if it will be like that with all the copies...

Because originally, I was planning to pick this up (along with the core game too); but I think I'll hold off a bit until I know for sure.

I've got revised and expansion in the post.
I'll let you know how it pans out.

You got me worried now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laser Wolf
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pleasantly surprised when comparing Fantasy Flight's new plastic cyclops mini with Rackham's original metal version. The slight modifications aren't a big deal (they removed the faucet and hose from his groin area and there's no canopic doll included). The detail they achieved is pretty amazing.

In my opinion, the plastic cyclops is much easier to assemble than the original was. I agree that the pegs on the head pieces aren't an exact fit, but slight modification with an xacto blade did the trick for me.

For porting the game to friends' houses, my plan is to use something else to represent the cyclops since he doesn't fit in the box. His function in the game is minimal, so it's kind of funny they went to such trouble to make such an intricate figure. I wonder how many people were sold on this expansion by the cyclops figure alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omnicollective wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised when comparing Fantasy Flight's new plastic cyclops mini with Rackham's original metal version. The slight modifications aren't a big deal (they removed the faucet and hose from his groin area and there's no canopic doll included). The detail they achieved is pretty amazing.

In my opinion, the plastic cyclops is much easier to assemble than the original was. I agree that the pegs on the head pieces aren't an exact fit, but slight modification with an xacto blade did the trick for me.

For porting the game to friends' houses, my plan is to use something else to represent the cyclops since he doesn't fit in the box. His function in the game is minimal, so it's kind of funny they went to such trouble to make such an intricate figure. I wonder how many people were sold on this expansion by the cyclops figure alone.

I'll admit, the idea of a Cyclops rampaging about Cadwallon was part of the expansion's appeal and definitely played a factor in my purchase. Sad to hear it plays such a minor role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laser Wolf
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be sad! This expansion (IMHO) makes the game absolutely more fun and engaging than the base game is alone. Being a fan of the Cadwallon RPG, I was initially depressed at how much it had been simplified for City of Thieves. The King of Ashes is a big step back in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night i decided to finally ditch the basegame insert so i could sleeve everything. Cant even tell the cards are a different size now. I also super glued the cyclops together after spending a while forcing his jaw into place. He just barely fits in the base game box now. Anyways, my point is- its possible to fix a lot of the component issues.

Also, as much as i love the new rules and think the base game is much improved by this expansion, i was a bit annoyed when iread the excerpt at the end about mixing it with the old missions. It seems you have to sift through and remove half the cards every time youre not playing an Ashes mission. Not a big deal, but it does seem the expansion doesn't integrate as well as advertised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meh
United Kingdom
devon
flag msg tools
Just got today. It does seem a little over-priced for the physical contents (at least what they have it up generally for in the UK(about £30)). I've decided to put all the boards and rules in the expansion box and keep everything else in the base box solving the Cyclops storage issues. I am glad to have a copy though and the intellectual property is probably worth the cost, time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's just the one edition of City of Thieves. As I was combining my King of Ashes expansion with the base game today, I found that the components don't match up. The new cards are sleightly bigger than than the old ones, which probably wouldn't be a problem once sleeved, except sleeved cards don't fit back into the insert. I also noticed the new mission "boards" aren't boards at all. Instead, this time being printed onto thick cardstock sheets.

One other complaint about component quality- the cyclops figurine doesn't seem to fit together very well. He comes in a bunch of pieces, and the two head pieces that are supposed form the mouth don't seem to be sized right. I also noticed that once the cyclops is assembled, he will not longer fit comfortably into the King of Ashes box, which again results in awkward space issues once combined into the base game box.

Overall- a bit disappointed by the quality presented here. Usually that's one area where I trust Fantasy Flight, but I think they dropped the ball here.

I liked the expac for the content but agree with all your issues too. Especially the cyclops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Cyclops fits in perfectly in the main box. Just throw the expansion box away, throw the cardboard insert in the main box away, and everything has more than enough room

The Cyclops head is terrible. Also I bought the base game at the same time and the figures are really bad quality. And they don't fit in the bases very well (some of them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
The Cyclops fits in perfectly in the main box. Just throw the expansion box away, throw the cardboard insert in the main box away, and everything has more than enough room

The Cyclops head is terrible. Also I bought the base game at the same time and the figures are really bad quality. And they don't fit in the bases very well (some of them).

If i can help it, i never throw out an insert. fantasy Flight's inserts are a joke, however, and I never expect to keep them, which is silly considering many board game companies with much lower budgets manage to provide perfectly functional inserts.

Fantasy Flight provides a very pretty box with many pretty components, but that's often all they are- pretty. Once you get home you realize the pieces dont all fit together, the insert is junk, the rulebook requires errata, etc.

Just goes to show that Fantasy Flight only cares about getting games off the shelves and not about customer satisfaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
Very true. I am more often than not very disappointed with FFG stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the first edition of City of Thieves for a while and I sleeved all of the cards from that game. I didn't notice any size differences after sleeving both sets. Although, it shouldn't really matter if the card sizes differ slightly. The large cards are merely reference cards for your character / NPCs and the small cards intentionally come with different colored backs as part of the game design.

Overall I think this expansion really adds a lot to the game. If you liked the original, there's no reason why you shouldn't pick this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
I've had the first edition of City of Thieves for a while and I sleeved all of the cards from that game. I didn't notice any size differences after sleeving both sets. Although, it shouldn't really matter if the card sizes differ slightly. The large cards are merely reference cards for your character / NPCs and the small cards intentionally come with different colored backs as part of the game design.

Overall I think this expansion really adds a lot to the game. If you liked the original, there's no reason why you shouldn't pick this up.

Sleeves definitely fix the card problem. The cyclops hold together pretty well once glue and painted too.

Really, the only thing that still bothers me about this expansion is how incompatbile the rules are. Every expansion mission requires you to take out a ton of cards from the base game to play it and base game missions dont have much use for the new stuff. Overall, it changes the ame for the better, but its a bit frustarting setting up the game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.