Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Paring down the decks. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
So after finally getting all the expansions and mixing all the decks together, the resulting decks were overwhelming. Just the sheer mechanics of trying to shuffle the Mythos and Other World decks is mind blowing. My goal now is to pair everything down into a manageable form, but still get to use a little of everything. For the items and spells decks, I took everything out and started with just the base decks. I then took a just a few cards from the expansions and put the rest aside. I left the location decks alone as even with all expansions, it's still only 30 cards or so apiece. For the Mythos and Other World decks, I took everything out and again, started with just the base deck. These ones are a little more tricky. I'm thinking I will add just the Miskatonic cards in and leave the rest out, but I don't know how that is going to play out. I'll have to play a few games and get a feel. Has anyone else tried to do something similar? If so, what were your results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
So after finally getting all the expansions and mixing all the decks together, the resulting decks were overwhelming. Just the sheer mechanics of trying to shuffle the Mythos and Other World decks is mind blowing. My goal now is to pair everything down into a manageable form, but still get to use a little of everything. For the items and spells decks, I took everything out and started with just the base decks. I then took a just a few cards from the expansions and put the rest aside. I left the location decks alone as even with all expansions, it's still only 30 cards or so apiece. For the Mythos and Other World decks, I took everything out and again, started with just the base deck. These ones are a little more tricky. I'm thinking I will add just the Miskatonic cards in and leave the rest out, but I don't know how that is going to play out. I'll have to play a few games and get a feel. Has anyone else tried to do something similar? If so, what were your results.
This is a challenge that many of us here have addressed in different ways. It mainly comes down to how important the specific "flavour" of each expansion is to you. Here's my take on the same issue Arkham Horror: Game Component Setups used by mccrispy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Arkham board only:

Mythos: Starting with all expansions, I made a 90 card deck by removing all the enviroment and rumor cards and all cards with gates not on the main board. I did this because we frequently forget about remains in play cards since they seldom have much effect with just 2-3 players anyway. Cards that close locations are included. Rumors are just a pain IMO. I think they are fine with 4+ players but with 2-3 players the game is hard enough. The mythos deck also includes 4-5 monster surge cards and 4 of the orginal next act cards, intermission, shuffle and double doom cards are also included. Not an exact list but close (someday I'll write it down).

Other Worlds: All the base game cards. All the IH cards and all the CotDP cards less the multi color cards of doom. This deck also came out to 90 cards.

Locations: All cards from all expansions less cards that trigger BGotW cult memebership and corruption and a couple from DH like library books and velma's gratitude. This leaves 30+ cards in each deck.

Common items: 1 or 2 of everything (no missions).

Spells: Half of total rounded up of each card.

Unique Items: 1 or 2 of everything except 5 Elder sign cards (no missions).

Each of those decks is still far bigger than the base game.

Injury and Madness: All except the MH cards.

Epic battle cards: ALL

Exibit items: ALL

Allies: ALL (deal 11 at game start)

Monsters: All except aquatic move (mask only when needed)

Gates: Base game gates.

No other cards used.

Works out to a nice smooth game with less upkeep and fewer cards to deal with or forget about. Whats better is it all fits in just 2 boxes so less to pull out and put away. AH is a design your own nightmare game kit. Use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
After toying with it for awhile, here's how I solved it.

Mythos: Start with base game + Miskatonic. Then add any big board I might be using.

Other World: Base Game + Miskatonic only

Items/Spells: Started with the base gamethen added in any special kinds of cards (magical effects, tasks/missions, etc.) and a few oddsand ends that I fancied.

Arkham Encounters: This was the tricky one. With all expansions cards used, the decks aren't that big, but things such as patrols, cult memberships, corruptions, benefit/detriment would rarely come up. So I started with the base game cards and added in only things that referred to specific things from an expansion (such as the previously mentioned mechanics) and ended up with 14 cards decks, a little larger than if I were to use the base game and 1 expansion, so all those things have a fair chance of coming out. Most everything else is herald/guardian/institution specific, so there's no fussing there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.