Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick fix that can easily be done is use a dozen of coins from puerto rico and add them to san juan to place them on the unused roles. 1 coin reduce the cost of buildings by 1 when spent. But adding 1 coin per unused role gives weird distribution.

2 players: (2 coins) average 1 coin per player
3 players: (2 coins) average 0.66 per player
4 players: (1 coin) average 0.25 per player

In puerto rico, I designed a variant where 1 coin per player is added each round by placing 2 coins on the prospector. But that was possible because the number of roles was variable according to the number of players. While in san juan it's fixed and there is only 5 roles. 6 roles would have been easier.

But on the other hand, players are less likely to lack of coins in san juan since each card is a coin and all actions gives you cards some how. While in puerto rico you can get VP and no coins.

So my suggestion was to add 2 coins on the roles at the end of the turn, what ever the number of players. Which would give the following distribution.

2 players: (2 coins) average 1 coin per player
3 players: (2 coins) average 0.66 per player
4 players: (2 coins) average 0.50 per player

So the number of coins per player reduces as the number of player increases. But does that make sense? Do you really need more support when you play with less players because less roles are being executed?

So this is why I am asking for suggestion on this thread.

Should the progression be inverted ( 1-2-3 -> 0.5%, 0.66%, 0.75% )

Or should I try to make it equal ( 1-2-2 -> 0.5%, 0.66%, 0.5% )

Else I think it could be a pretty simple and elegant variant to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the event cards expansion, I thought it would be even more complicated to put gold on those cards. So I came up with a simpler solution.

At then end of the turn, you add a coin on the prospector.

This is the only role that is not worth to take, but with more gold, it could become interesting. The nb of gold will be the same what ever the number of player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
With the event cards expansion, I thought it would be even more complicated to put gold on those cards. So I came up with a simpler solution.

At then end of the turn, you add a coin on the prospector.

This is the only role that is not worth to take, but with more gold, it could become interesting. The nb of gold will be the same what ever the number of player.

I'd beg to differ... with Prospecting powers like Gold Mine/Smith, it may be more tempting than ever. However, I'm willing to admit I'm over valuing this combo with the + coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure there are cards that power up the prospector, but that is the same with all other roles. Second, both buildings are still quite expensive, so it's not something most people are likely to have.

The buildings would allow at most to draw 2 cards instead of 1 which should not really conflict with the extra gold coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.