Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

You might be wondering, “hey, Feonix has already made one class per archetype... what's this fifth class doing here? Well, you would be forgetting a core player in the Descent universe... The Overlord!

Yes, the Apostate is a new overlord class. Since the Warlord is akin to a straight-up 'fighter', the Magus represents the overlord's magical side, and the Saboteur is more tricky and rogue-like, I felt there was one archetype missing here... the Cleric. Of course, the overlord is villainous evil, so I decided to make a class that represented the overlord as a leader of a dark cult of fanatical monsters devoted to his ungodly cause.

In terms of role, the Apostate has two themes - “Zone” cards which are expensive to play, but give the overlord a great amount of zone control by creating an area inside which monsters are stronger or heroes are weaker, and sacrificial cards that turn the overlord's monsters into sacrificial lambs for a greater cause or scheme.

Dropbox link for The Apostate (PDF)

The Apostate's two most basic cards are Sacrifice and Zone of Evil. Sacrifice allows the overlord to get some bang for his buck whenever one of his monsters is killed, making the heroes think twice about dispatching a goblin archer in the middle of the party. Zone of Evil is the most basic and versatile Zone card, giving all monsters within its range +1 defense, or all heroes within its range -1 defense.

Once the overlord has spent some experience investing in his evil faith, the stakes get higher. Dark Prophecy allows the overlord to split fatigue tokens among his monsters equal to the number of players, netting him one card anytime a monster with a fatigue token is killed. Place all of them on your best monster to make the heroes think twice about even attacking him, or split them among a group of monsters to guarantee they either survive or give you valuable overlord cards. It's a win-win! Zone of Filth, on the other hand, either causes disease to heroes or heals monsters within its range. Either way, extremely useful.

Finally, the overlord can create a Zone of Fear, locking down a whole party of heroes who become frozen with fear, or making all monsters in its area much more powerful.

The Apostate's Zone cards are a fair bit more powerful than your typical events, but require some cunning to use effectively. They require an additional discard to use, making the Apostate more dependent on cards than other classes. Furthermore, they require heroes or monsters to remain in their range to function.

As a hero, there are a few ways to shut the Apostate down. Like the Shaman, the Apostate relies on zone control, so staying away from the Apostate's Zones will prevent them from harming you. If you kill a monster who is the focus of a Zone, the Zone disappears, so you can also use this to your advantage. Also, the more the overlord's monsters group together, the more vulnerable they become to Blast.

Please let me know what you think of this new Overlord class. I've playtested it a decent amount, but you never know what issues may appear. Keep on lookout for other cards I have coming down the pipe...

Beware of exploding Kobolds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
zone of filth and zone of fear are both 1 exp cards at best. very weak and i would never consider them to buy.
dark prophecy and sacrifice are both good cards.

desease is a condition heroes nearly dont care about. at least add poision and at least 1-2 wounds.

immobilize on a 3 exp zone with a test..? check out web trap only 1 exp for nearly the same effect.

also this:
Quote:
If you kill a monster who is the focus of a Zone, the Zone disappears, so you can also use this to your advantage. Also, the more the overlord's monsters group together, the more vulnerable they become to Blast.

makes zones completely USELESS! - first hero action - kill the zone monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input!

The biggest thing about Zones is the duration and size, not the effect itself. Yeah, Zone of Fear isn't as good as Web Trap when you consider the two side by side like that. But, Zone of Fear has a larger radius, and can move around (if you drop it on a master monster and have him move around, the zone moves with him). It's much easier to immobilize an entire party with Zone of Fear than with Web Trap. Also, the fact that Zone of Fear could also be used offensively instead makes it a lot more versatile than Web Trap, which is only useful in some situations.

Same goes for Zone of Filth. We might have different thoughts on how powerful Disease is (I personally think Disease is pretty nasty), but regardless, the fact that it could also heal a huge group of monsters makes it very versatile, much better than the Universal overlord card that heals.

It's true that heroes will probably try to focus down the monster that is the source of the Zone, but sometimes that's exactly what you want - as the overlord, you often want the heroes to have to pool their efforts in a meaningless fight while you run around and do whatever the objective is. Personally I would much rather have heroes take 2-3 actions killing a master monster that you can often respawn that turn, than have them run around and kill 2-3 minion monsters.

Also, you can try to goad players into killing a Zone's source... only to have it explode with Sacrifice, or give you a ton of overlord cards with Dark Prophecy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, one of the things I briefly considered was having the Zone stick around for more than one turn, and you have to discard a new overlord card every turn to keep it around. I threw this idea back and forth and eventually got rid of it for a handful of reasons, but if the general consensus is that the cards are too weak, I might consider bringing that back.

That way, you could keep a Zone out for two or even three turns by continuing to discard cards. That would make the Zones even more of a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your reasons but still think i would drop the zone theme as whole and use more of a buff mechanic. Zones are too cluncky and weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.