$10.00
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there is summary of rules changes in the 2nd edition? I thought for sure it would be in the new rulebook or in a forum post here already, but I don't see anything. (Perhaps there are no changes, just new components?)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titouan Guillaume
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Here are the changes between V1 and V2, but listed in french:
http://www.asyncron.fr/forum/index.php?s=efdbc1d96c09cd51ad9...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterTouan wrote:
Hello!

Here are the changes between V1 and V2, but listed in french:
http://www.asyncron.fr/forum/index.php?s=efdbc1d96c09cd51ad9...

Thanks, Google Translate sort of works on it. But I was thinking of the differences with Storms of Steel, rather than the original ATB. I guess I could try to compare the rule books, but I am being relatively lazy. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use the 2nd Ed rules that were put up for download a long time aga on all three games. Just makes life easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I just use the 2nd Ed rules that were put up for download a long time aga on all three games. Just makes life easier.

Thanks. Perhaps I should clarify my question, though... just in case.

It was implied elsewhere (perhaps incorrectly) that ATB 2e has changed the game system (again) in such a way that components between the games are no longer interchangeable. So another way to ask this: do the new rules (however "new" they may be) apply seamlessly to SOS and POH?

Based on your answer, it sounds like it is simply "YES: New rules work with old games. Buy ATB 2e if you want 1941 components and scenarios, and you will have a seamless experience with POH 1939 and SOS 1943."

(I do know that the ATB 2e counters have little markers for the forthcoming solo system, but I am not concerned about that here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mauricio,
The only changes that I know of to the counters are the solo system shapes next to the unit I.D. (Rifle #1, Rifle #2, etc.) and the anti-tank gun front defense ratings are now red instead of blue.

The color change for the guns was for historical accuracy. The gun shields provided more of a psychological benefit that a physical one.

Take care,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the following updates are in play:
1. Turreted tanks can fire outside of their Arc of Fire for +2APs, not +1AP.
2. Trucks can no longer use bonus moves into a road hex already occupied by another vehicle (congestion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
1. Turreted tanks can fire outside of their Arc of Fire for +2APs, not +1AP.

That's not in the second edition rulebook.... (page 13 says 1 AP/CAP)
(I got the printed version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the version that actually went to the printers had +2. The one uploaded here was the version just before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another few changes I can think of between PoH's reference rules and AtB's 2nd ed are new rules for flamethrowers and HE attacks.

Also I convinced Uwe to restrict roadblock building. The problem was two- fold. It was kind of a mismatch to allow roadblock construction while a fight was going on and not allow laying of barbwire as well. It's now more consistent to prevent the building of either. The second problem with roadblocks was that they could be built instead of hasty defenses to actually serve as hasty defenses with better stats. That opened up metagaming. Players could use 7AP to create a roadblock to gain +1DM that did not disappear when a unit pivoted or left the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks all for the clarifications.

So it sounds like the system is changing slightly in a few places, but nothing that invalidates existing components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jesse, I forgot about the roadblock changes.

So yes, there are very few changes between AtB 2nd Edition and SoS or PoH. And no major changes. So calling it version 2.2 is very accurate. It could also almost be version 2.1.1 (For the really heavy old time war gamers.) LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I Noticed that in the second edition rulebook firing with turrets outside front arc is +1 AP, where the 2nd edition summary sheet says +2 AP. Which one is correct and why does it make for a better gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This was quite a debate in-house. It started with Gunter and Jesse and ended with about a dozen others adding additional context and input). A turn is about 5 minutes and in this time a tank will most often face the enemy. For the Germans especially, we felt it was too easy to ignore facing flanking enemy units, since the cost to fire outside of the arc of fire was so low. Historically often inaccurate. Again, the debate for the pros and cons was very even, but we finally felt that the added commander decision requirements enhanced game play.
That being said, I am driving to pick up some copies of the second edition, so that I can make sure that this rule is actually in the 2nd edition printed rule book!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Rheinlandpfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so the Rulebook is misprinted and the summarysheet correct with +2AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure there was a further update to the rulebook after the one uploaded here, like I said above. In that version, the rule should say +2 for turret use. At least I hope so.

Uwe, if this is indeed the case I suggest you replace the rulebook uploaded here with the actual official release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I got the printed version... it's +1ap there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation. Damn that's to bad that one of the last changes did not go through. In any case, you should consider +2 official since it's on the summary sheet, as pointed out before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang it, I am going to check in the pdf confirmations from the printer to see what happened. I checked and the uploaded file was correct. But it seemed that in the rush to print for Essen, they used an older file.
But the summary sheet, etc is correct and the +1 should be a +2AP for turreted tanks firing outside the arc of fire.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game today. It was a letdown to see that most advertised 'new units' for the v2 edition were not used at all, even in the newly added firefights.

Converting 4 player FF into a 2 player one - the rules say that 6 + 7 = 12 CAPs

Firing outside the FOV for turreted vehicles is +1 in the rules and +2 in the summary sheet.

I really like the boards. They are joy to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct Lukasz. You lose one CAP when combining, since you have more flexibility combined.
I have several firefights that the team put together that use all of the new units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra firefights sounds good, bring them on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio
msg tools
Where can i find the updated rulebook and summary sheet? Everything i download from the website refers to the old +1 rule for the turretted vehicles firing outside their arc of fire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My fault. I will update this on Monday. I am at the Great Lakes Gathering of Friends at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio
msg tools
Thank you Uwe. Enjoy the weekend :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.