Cyclades» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative Victory Condition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Fink
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
As we realised, that winning the game by getting 4 times 2 philosophers is not only too easy but too early, we thought about an alternative victory condition.

A friend of mine said: let's get 3 metropoleis to end the game!

Maybe better: You have to make at least one metropolis by getting the 4 building types!

or

You have to use all (3) options of getting a metropolis to win the game.
I guess this would be a epic variant!

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synapsus wrote:
As we realised, that winning the game by getting 4 times 2 philosophers is not only too easy but too early, we thought about an alternative victory condition.

If you're letting someone easily get four philosophers, then you're doing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Chmielewski
msg tools
Not to mention leaving the first "philospher metropoly" unattacked. You seriouslye need to review the way you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fink
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I didn't ask about your thoughts about our way of playing the game.
it's a fact that 1 metropolis needs
2 actions by athena
3 actions by war
4 actions by building + you need a 3rd island additional to your 2 starting islands if you want to build your 2nd metropolis.

just because your experiences are different doesn't mean we play it wrong. i know conquering is more fun. but if you didn't try the athena-apollon-strategy you got an lack of experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synapsus wrote:
I didn't ask about your thoughts about our way of playing the game.
2 actions by athena
3 actions by war
4 actions by building + you need a 3rd island additional to your 2 starting islands if you want to build your 2nd metropolis.

just because your experiences are different doesn't mean we play it wrong. i know conquering is more fun. but if you didn't try the athena-apollon-strategy you got an lack of experience

It's not a matter of conquering being more fun. It's about knowing the board state and not allowing someone to do Athena/Apollon. Aggressive bids and attacking their existing structures and resource production are the easiest ways to combat someone trying to go Athena. You have to play aggressively and not just allow them to keep getting what they want. Of course someone is going to try Athena/Apollon. That's an obvious tactic. If everyone else lets them, then you deserve what you get. Realistically, by the time you get to end game, people should have multiple paths to victory and be competing over not just Athena but also Ares and Zeus. Poseidon is the weakest in terms of closing the deal, but with the right board setup, even Poseidon can put someone in a position to win, if they've prepared properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without taking sides on what makes the best possible auction/action combo, the easiest non-partisan method of extending gameplay would be to simply require an additional metropolis as an added win condition — and leave the core game mechanics alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
I got exactly the same opinion. I think this can be easily fixed by raising rapidly the price of "second" Philosopher to be bought in single turn (8GP instead of 4GP) - or forbidding him completely.

Also, I think the opening bidding is more fun, if you're not required to bid on a DIFFERENT God, once you are outbid.

Aaaaaand my third thought would be to allow to build Metropolis only on isles, where an actual Troop is standing. Thus limiting the number of places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synapsus wrote:
[...]
2 actions by athena
3 actions by war
[...]

I do not agree with this action counting. First of all, you can get 4 philosophers in a turn (2 with athena, and you can steal 2 more with the monster that steals one and the monster that copies a monster from the discard).

I agree that this is a very rare case, but clearly you do not need 3 war actions: conquer someone else's metropoli and you get it in one action. Or attack someone that has 2 buildings in the same city.

Indeed, making yourself the buildings is the slowest one, but it is the one that will probably attract less attention as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.