Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the Scenarios book PDF: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/kickstarter/ogre_scenarios.pdf

Daniel will be visiting Austin next week, so the deadline for comments on the Scenarios book is noon Texas time on Monday the 29th. Please comment in this thread.

You've gotten us several good comments on the rules material already (and some corrections have already been made). Let's say the deadline for comments on the rulebook and reference sheet is 11:59pm Texas time on Thursday the 25th.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casey Joneski!!!

"Ridin that Ogre,
High on Cocaine..." thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Casey Joneski!!!

"Ridin that Ogre,
High on Cocaine..." thumbsup

Ridin' With The Driver
-Motorhead

Iron child out of Vulcans forge, metal scream and thrash
Red steel in the driving wheel, hear the pistons clash
Dragon breathin' big black smoke, howlin' up the tracks

[Chorus]
I'm ridin' on the Thunderchief, spit in the devil's eye
No force on earth can stop me now
Like to see 'em try
Hey, hey ridin' with the Driver

Juggernaut comin' down the line, hear the banshee cry
Engineer like to lose his mind. glory in his eye
Too fast to live this way, too young to die

[Repeat chorus]

Hold tight, feel the drivers bite, hear the whistle moan
Engine rockin' to the left and right, vibratin' in my bones
Once the locomotive steals your soul, you got a Casey Jones

[Chorus]

I'm ridin' on the Thunderchief, spit in the devil's eye
No force on earth can hurt me now, kiss your ass goodbye
hey, hey, ridin' with the Driver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
P.8:
"the irreplaceable Baywatch archives."

Call me a kill-joy, but for me, that kind of "funny" dated pop culture reference breaks suspension of disbelief in what otherwise seems intended to read like tense plausible sf/military adventure fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Russ. Please please please remove that reference. It just breaks the '4th wall' so to speak.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
P.8:
"the irreplaceable Baywatch archives."

Call me a kill-joy, but for me, that kind of "funny" dated pop culture reference breaks suspension of disbelief in what otherwise seems intended to read like tense plausible sf/military adventure fiction.

But I thought watching the Hoff in Baywatch was required in leadership classes taught in Paneuropean officer cadet training. Keeping those lifeguards in line was a lot like leading a squad of battlesuits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Russ. "Funny" in games is rarely funny to everyone. To me, that particular effort seems ham-handed. I've always found that gamers inject their own humor into the proceedings well enough as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, the "irreplaceable Baywatch archives" joke is a long standing piece of game colour (that's how it got so dated) kinda unlikely it'll get dropped now.

Maybe the supercomputers steganographically buried secret plans in a public archive of an old vid series that they were certain no one would watch. Perhaps Baywatch is the only surviving example of late 20th century entertainment. Who knows or cares.

The scenario book itself looks great though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Day
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another vote for removing the Baywatch line. It's distracting and not at all funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just removing "irreplaceable" would be an improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be any difference between these and the ones listed on this page? http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/

So far they are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
And here's the Scenarios book PDF: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/kickstarter/ogre_scenarios.pdf

Daniel will be visiting Austin next week, so the deadline for comments on the Scenarios book is noon Texas time on Monday the 29th. Please comment in this thread.

You've gotten us several good comments on the rules material already (and some corrections have already been made). Let's say the deadline for comments on the rulebook and reference sheet is 11:59pm Texas time on Thursday the 25th.

Thank you!

Not sure what you mean by comments. Looks great.

- Will there be any suggested builds for armor and infantry? Helps for newbies but no one has to stick to them?
- What about point for Laser towers/turrets and strong points? Both cost to use them and victory points. Did I miss that in the book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Will there be any difference between these and the ones listed on this page? http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/

So far they are the same.

The physical ones in the box and the PDF should be the same (barring any minor errata that was fixed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Not sure what you mean by comments. Looks great.

This was for proofing/checking to see if anyone noticed any issues. Unfortunately, you kindof found one.

Quote:
- Will there be any suggested builds for armor and infantry? Helps for newbies but no one has to stick to them?

Officially, no. Some scenarios are pretty specific (eg, Raid attack is all GEVs), others are more general. The easiest suggestion I can give you is take a balanced distribution first and try it out to get a feel for what works.

Quote:
- What about point for Laser towers/turrets and strong points? Both cost to use them and victory points. Did I miss that in the book?

Laser SPs are a little fluffy. Turrets are 20-40SP (generally scenario dependent, but use 30 if not specified). Towers are 20SP. Unfortunately, it looks like that info from the original Shockwave rules got dropped in the ODE rules (at least I can't seem to find it anywhere). Some scenarios (eg, NUTS!) specifically calls out the SP values to use, many don't.

As for VPs, the same thing applies. The VP values are sometimes defined, sometimes not. :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I make the list more complete?
Point values to deploy for:
Victory point values for:

Laser Towers
Laser Turrets
Hardened CP
Strong Points
Camouflage
Dummy counters

I know camouflage and dummy counters do not add to the attack or defense numbers in the strictest sense but it does force the attacker to modify their strategy. The building need point simply because the harder they are to kill the more forces or time it takes. Finally Lasers have both an offensive component and a defensive strong point value which again determines how much it takes to eliminate it.

I posted errata on SJ Forums.

Later,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.