Popular Tags: [View All]
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd edition rules state that "The sixth and final card played in each year is a winter turn, used to move blocks to winter quarters."

Does this mean that any and all blocks can move or are your moves limited to the card played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

I play it the following way.
Winter turns are tough and can be decisive.
The card played for a Winter turn of course provides the "energy" for the player's turn. All rules apply, e.g. playing a "3" allows to activate block located in up to three different locations (and/or conduct Muster moves). Remember to apply the specific winter effects, e.g. reduced movement allowance, etc.

The rules remind the players to use the winter turn moves to get the own blocks into safe winter quarters. It does not say that all blocks suddenly may be activated for free.

Remember also the special case of using the Winter Campaign card during a Winter turn.

Do not draw new blocks at the end of Winter turns.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Uwe! That's the way we played it - with one exception. I do not see anything about reduced movement in the 2.0 rules. Is this something that was used before the second edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch! I'm a former CR v1 player and I hadn't noticed the change either.

CR v1.4
9.0 WINTER
The sixth and final card played in each year represents a Winter Turn. It is played normally, except that:
9.01: Blocks have a movement rate of –1, and may not force-march.
9.02: Blocks may not start a battle or reinforce a siege, but may occupy vacant enemy towns.
9.03: There is no Battle Phase. Sieges cannot continue through the winter. Besieging blocks must move to winter quarters, using only the move card played, or suffer Winter Attrition (9.3).
9.04: There is no Draw Phase.

CR v2.0
8.0 WINTER
8.1 Winter Turn
The sixth and final card played in each year is a Winter Turn, used to move blocks to winter quarters.
Blocks move normally, except they cannot start or reinforce battles/sieges. They may occupy vacant towns.
There is no battle phase, siege attrition, or draw phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.