Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Pete's birthday earlier in the month, so I bought him Montgolfiere as a present, mostly to play with his young nephews and nieces. We obviously had to give it a go once Peter had opened his present. There was also time to play a handful of other light and not-so-light games.

A quick read of the rules and we were away. With just the two of us we opted to add the Black Baron to make it three. This seemed to work very well.

Initially we were just playing our highest ballast cards (unless playing a special card), but later we realised that losing a trick and getting shot of the low ballast cards wasn't a bad idea. Everyone stayed pretty close, including the Baron, but I felt pretty chuffed winning the first three games. Knowing when not to move (and play a storm card) can also make a difference.

We then switched to Gula Gula, where the hungriest player with the most dextrous fingers duly won both goes. There's a real art to egg removal, which must help the younger players. After a break for lunch we managed a hand of Cartagena, which we always enjoy. I was judged the most pirate looking and started, but Peter won, leaving two of my pirates in the last segment of the map. There was time to punch and play a round of Delta V (see my review), and finally the kid's train building card game Take A Train which I've just submitted. Both of these games are rather lacking, but it's interesting to try out new mechanisms.

After some Fu-yung and noodles we has time for 4 more rounds of Montgolfiere. We had just read someone else's report that the thirs player always seemed to win, when lo and behold he did. Peter finally got his act together and won all of the last three to leave honours even. We began saving the super motor and storm cards to make the finale of the last games very tense. Finally the night was finished off with 2 games of Clans - one to remind us of the rules which Peter won easily, and the second which I won at the last by claiming the last village and the majority of the points.

Overall for the day Peter won 7-6, with Mr Third claiming one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.