Hide
6 Posts

Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Foreign words allowed in Taboo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nyc girl
msg tools
I had the word "tango" and my clue was "It takes dos to..." The word "two" wasn't allowed. I was buzzed and the opposing team said foreign words aren't allowed. My teammate even sided with them. I read the rules carefully and there is nothing that implies foreign words aren't allowed. They pretty much made up the rule. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If "two" wasn't allowed, "dos" shouldn't be, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nycgirl wrote:
I had the word "tango" and my clue was "It takes dos to..." The word "two" wasn't allowed. I was buzzed and the opposing team said foreign words aren't allowed. My teammate even sided with them. I read the rules carefully and there is nothing that implies foreign words aren't allowed. They pretty much made up the rule. Thoughts?

Well, if you are playing with people who speak different languages then foreign words might be ok. But for regular games if you use foreign words that might be unfair on those who do not speak the language, and I think it would be wrong to use them also, unless you have a bilingual family etc where both languages would be fine.

Common sense however would suggest that if a word in banned in English then it is banned in any language, as that defeats the purpose of the game. It is a word description game, not a translation game so using a foreign word would be against the spirit of the game. This may well not be specified in the game, as it seems redundant to even need to put it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not kosher. Saying 'dos' IS saying 'two.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
I'd say foreign words would be allow.

But, if a specific word is 'not allowed' it's not allowed PERIOD.

What does Dos mean? It means two.

But I'd say you could say "Se necesitan ...", I don't see why you couldn't hope your team mate speaks Spanish. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it translates to a Taboo word it's a no go.

I would also say if not everybody speaks the language it should be left out due to fairness to the others. After all they would not know if you're cheating and it's a party game. It's about everyone being involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.