Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to say that today, after many months of gentle persuasion, I have managed to get my wife to play a game.
I chose 'fresco' but even though I have the modules I didn't add them in for todays session.
The first impression was a little worrying due to only explaining for barely 30 seconds, she said "this sounds all too confusing". I carried on by saying that we would play move by move and explain things in a story. So explaining that we were painters and had staff etc.....well you know the rest, we proceeded to play.
Scoring was up and down to start with, then my wife took a quarter of a boards lead only to lose it by putting two painters to work on the fresco with the wrong types of paint, thereby wasting a move.
I then took a lead of some 35 points and after the last move which was triggered by the last remaining 6 tiles covering the fresco we totalled up the final holding of coins.
Amazingly although my wife was 35 points behind, she had 71 talers and that meant that she scored 35 points which meant that we were both level on 126 points. (I had also counted my coins by this time).
I exclaimed "what an incredible game, and the score means that we draw). Suddenly I recalled the rule that stated 'no two people can share the same space on the scoring track and you can choose whether you want to go to the space in front or behind', well my wife smuggly slid the piece one space ahead with a major grin all over her face. Final score:

Steve 126......... Zoe 127

I was so glad that it was close and that she won. I said "Do you feel that you could like this game given one or two more goes at it?", She said "What do you mean? I loved it first time!"
It really was worth waiting for her to play after all these months, as I think we all need a 'chill out' time in these days of constant pressure. Something to take us out of the real world for a few hours. Today was such a day, and thank you 'Fresco' for being accessible and so easy a game to introduce to a newbie to gaming. I don't want to frighten her off with the modules, but I do think that these would present no problem to her in playing, and increase the enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Nice!

My wife also only reluctantly plays games with me. Fresco is one of the few she enjoys (and has a crazy win percentage against me).

Lately we have been playing Flash Point: Fire Rescue and she likes that one. Not sure how you feel about co-op's but it seems to be a good one for non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion modules really bring this game to life but I have the hardest time getting people to play beyond that intro game without them. I hope you have better luck than me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of flash point, is that the one where you have to escape the burning house and save people, The fire spreads unpredictably?. That could well be the way to go for us, as Zoe is not into the direct competition type game. Until today, she wasn't into any of them, but certainly from the outset she did state her dislike for war type games especially.
Yes co-op could well be where she would shine. thanks for that great idea.
Is Flash Point as easy to learn as Fresco?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooops sorry Dan I wasn't ignoring your comment. I did mention to her that this was what we call the 'base game' and that there are a few little added bits which are no harder to play, just opens things a little more with moves etc....and she did say "please don't confuse me with anything else yet"
I hold onto the word 'Yet' as a prequel to her eventually giving it a go. Well, let's see!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
diceman56 wrote:
I've heard of flash point, is that the one where you have to escape the burning house and save people, The fire spreads unpredictably?.

Yes, that's the one.

diceman56 wrote:
Is Flash Point as easy to learn as Fresco?

I think so, probably easier. There is a basic game and an advanced game. Like Fresco's modules, the advanced game adds a couple more twists that are really not any more complicated but just layer on some more stuff. We played one basic, then I soloed an advanced to get the hang of it, and then we both played the advanced.

The nice thing about co-ops (at least Flash Point) is she doesn't have to really learn/remember all the little rules (how the fire spreads, what happens when hazardous materials catch on fire, etc.) as long as I know what to do.

We enjoy teaming up and figuring out how to solve the problem which is basically what you have to do in this game.

There are many firefighters to choose from and each has a special ability. Kylee always plays the one (can't remember what he is called) that specializes in putting out fires and then spends her turns doing that. Meanwhile I change firefighters many times a game depending on whatever special ability the game situation calls for.

She often starts losing interest (in any game) after a while but since it is co-op I can kind of dictate and make decisions for her. This is often seen as a negative with co-ops; at least if one person is imposing their will on the others. But in this case it works well - else she would just get bored/frustrated and stop playing.

There was an expansion recently released. I do not have any experience with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ben, that is a lot of information that gives me an idea for suggesting the co-op approach and the way for us to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that Pandemic is easier to learn. We play them both, but the wife likes Pandemic more I think. It sort of reignited our interest in board games and Fresco is one we switch up with Stone Age....all of these to help shake up the need to play Carcassonne all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That line, "This all sounds too complicated" is a line I hear, also. My heart drops a bit when I hear it, as my mind races to find a way to explain the game as simply and thematically as possible.

Very happy to hear that the play-through went well. It's a bummer when you want to play games so badly, but don't have any friends or family to play with.

You're right about the "chill out" of constant pressure. It's one of the reasons why I enjoy gaming.

Not a big TV fan and reading makes me tired after awhile.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dundy

You sound very similar to me. I love games and have no one to share it with. I like reading but it too makes me sleepy. I hate T.V. There has to be a line drawn as to how many times you can see the same old repeats of every programme.
I have a friend from many years ago and every Wednesday after work (We both had jobs that started early and finished at midday)..we got together and played 'Blood Bowl'. This was a regular event for a number of years. Until the day his mum said "Are you going to play with your little men again?" That was it, since then he never played. I still meet up once every 3 or 4 weeks and mention having a board games night with the family, but alas, it has not yet materialised.
Maybe now with this minor breakthrough with my wife things may start picking up pace, and snowball into my friend and his family getting interested again.
I will take it one step at a time, and maybe try a couple more goes at 'Fresco' before changing to something else.
I hope you have some success too in all you do.
Take care.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.